DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   HDV to DVCPRO HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/89267-hdv-dvcpro-hd.html)

Elmer Lang March 18th, 2007 05:52 PM

HDV to DVCPRO HD

In another thread, someone suggested making cuts in HDV, then copying and pasting all into a DVCPRO HD sequence and doing color correcting, after effects, etc. there.

I was wondering if there are any others who have tried it and liked it?

My osbervations:

I tried it and to my eyes, once rendered, DVCPRO HD did look better in the Canvas.

One thing I noticed working in the HDV timeline was that playback wasn't so great, the picture looked grainy. But when I stopped playback the frame was clearer, better. The DVCPRO HD sequence looked great in motion just like the stopped playback in HDV.

Initially, pictures from Photoshop placed in the HDV timeline needed their aspect ratio adjusted. When pasted into the DVCPRO HD sequence they needed more adjusting.

Finally, after exporting to Compressor from the FCP timeline to obtain 320x180 QT movies for web uploading, the two versions looked very similar, though maybe the DVCPRO HD was slightly darker, or so it seemed in the skin tone and a few other places.

So maybe it ain't superior! I dunno.

Any comments?

thanks
elmer
http://elmerlang.com

David McGiffert March 23rd, 2007 07:03 PM

Elmer,

I also have heard this.
I haven't tried it yet, but will be shooting something next weekend
where I am planning to try this workflow.

I'll try to remember to let you know.

Maybe someone with direct experience will jump into this.
I'm sure people are trying it.

David

George Loch March 27th, 2007 10:33 AM

There are some serious advantages to getting into the DVCProHD codec over HDV - many of which you are discovering. It requires less CPU overhead, exists in a better colorspace, and is more compatible with other apps. Another option is to go with a 3rd party card like BMD or a Kona that would allow you to capture directly into DVCProHD. If you have a camera with HDMI, you could use the BMD Intensity card ($249 - cheap) to do this.

-gl

Ervin Farkas March 27th, 2007 09:18 PM

Elmer, it is very unlikely that you will see any difference at all in such a highly compressed final product (web download). The real advantage of such a workfow should be tested on a full res HD monitor.

George Loch March 28th, 2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 649853)
Elmer, it is very unlikely that you will see any difference at all in such a highly compressed final product (web download). The real advantage of such a workfow should be tested on a full res HD monitor.

Yes, this is most likely true if the final output was a 320x240 video. however, I always plan for multi-use with my products where budget permits ie. Projection, TV, DVD, Web.

-gl

Ron Little May 3rd, 2007 10:36 AM

George Loch

I have an intensity card and I do not see an option to capture in DVC pro HD.

Can you tell me how it is done?

George Loch May 3rd, 2007 01:24 PM

What are you using to capture? BMDs tool or your NLE?

-gl

Ron Little May 3rd, 2007 02:06 PM

I am using the presets that the Blackmagic drivers installed into Premiere Pro 2.0.

You have Blackmagic HD 8bit-4,2,2 codec and 10 bit codec there is also mjpeg codec.

I used the preset Blackmagic HD 8bit-4,2,2 codec . So far I have not done any HD projects I have messed around a bit and am running test to see how I will use this new technology.

I sure would love to hear from anyone using the intensity card.

George Loch May 3rd, 2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 672234)
I am using the presets that the Blackmagic drivers installed into Premiere Pro 2.0.

You have Blackmagic HD 8bit-4,2,2 codec and 10 bit codec there is also mjpeg codec.

I used the preset Blackmagic HD 8bit-4,2,2 codec . So far I have not done any HD projects I have messed around a bit and am running test to see how I will use this new technology.

I sure would love to hear from anyone using the intensity card.

Ok. In PPro on the PC, th Mjpeg codec is BMDs answer to DVCProHD since that codec is only available on the mac. You should get the similar performance in terms of compression and quality with this.

-gl