HDV to DVCPRO HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV to DVCPRO HD

In another thread, someone suggested making cuts in HDV, then copying and pasting all into a DVCPRO HD sequence and doing color correcting, after effects, etc. there.

I was wondering if there are any others who have tried it and liked it?

My osbervations:

I tried it and to my eyes, once rendered, DVCPRO HD did look better in the Canvas.

One thing I noticed working in the HDV timeline was that playback wasn't so great, the picture looked grainy. But when I stopped playback the frame was clearer, better. The DVCPRO HD sequence looked great in motion just like the stopped playback in HDV.

Initially, pictures from Photoshop placed in the HDV timeline needed their aspect ratio adjusted. When pasted into the DVCPRO HD sequence they needed more adjusting.

Finally, after exporting to Compressor from the FCP timeline to obtain 320x180 QT movies for web uploading, the two versions looked very similar, though maybe the DVCPRO HD was slightly darker, or so it seemed in the skin tone and a few other places.

So maybe it ain't superior! I dunno.

Any comments?

thanks
elmer
http://elmerlang.com
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Elmer,

I also have heard this.
I haven't tried it yet, but will be shooting something next weekend
where I am planning to try this workflow.

I'll try to remember to let you know.

Maybe someone with direct experience will jump into this.
I'm sure people are trying it.

David
David McGiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

There are some serious advantages to getting into the DVCProHD codec over HDV - many of which you are discovering. It requires less CPU overhead, exists in a better colorspace, and is more compatible with other apps. Another option is to go with a 3rd party card like BMD or a Kona that would allow you to capture directly into DVCProHD. If you have a camera with HDMI, you could use the BMD Intensity card ($249 - cheap) to do this.

-gl
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Elmer, it is very unlikely that you will see any difference at all in such a highly compressed final product (web download). The real advantage of such a workfow should be tested on a full res HD monitor.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Elmer, it is very unlikely that you will see any difference at all in such a highly compressed final product (web download). The real advantage of such a workfow should be tested on a full res HD monitor.
Yes, this is most likely true if the final output was a 320x240 video. however, I always plan for multi-use with my products where budget permits ie. Projection, TV, DVD, Web.

-gl
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Major Player

George Loch

I have an intensity card and I do not see an option to capture in DVC pro HD.

Can you tell me how it is done?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

What are you using to capture? BMDs tool or your NLE?

-gl
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #8
Major Player

I am using the presets that the Blackmagic drivers installed into Premiere Pro 2.0.

You have Blackmagic HD 8bit-4,2,2 codec and 10 bit codec there is also mjpeg codec.

I used the preset Blackmagic HD 8bit-4,2,2 codec . So far I have not done any HD projects I have messed around a bit and am running test to see how I will use this new technology.

I sure would love to hear from anyone using the intensity card.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Little View Post
I am using the presets that the Blackmagic drivers installed into Premiere Pro 2.0.

You have Blackmagic HD 8bit-4,2,2 codec and 10 bit codec there is also mjpeg codec.

I used the preset Blackmagic HD 8bit-4,2,2 codec . So far I have not done any HD projects I have messed around a bit and am running test to see how I will use this new technology.

I sure would love to hear from anyone using the intensity card.
Ok. In PPro on the PC, th Mjpeg codec is BMDs answer to DVCProHD since that codec is only available on the mac. You should get the similar performance in terms of compression and quality with this.

-gl

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions