Which HDV editing program do you use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which HDV editing program do you use?

Hello.

I am wondering what others on this forum use for editing/capturing there HDV videos with.

I have a Canon HV20, and use Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 for capturing and editing my videos.

What programs do you like or think are the best?

Thanks!
Jacob Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have Pinnacle studio 10, Ulead media Studio Pro 8, Avid Liquid 7, and Sony Vegas 7.

They all have their pros and cons but of those I find Sony Vegas to be the all round best fit. It's a powerful program and I find it to be a well organized interface. Liquid is quite good but IMO... the interface is no where near as well put together as Vegas.... of course this is just my opinion... I'm quite sure others have theirs.
George Anthonisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Canopus Edius here. The interface takes a little getting used to and some feel it's missing a few advanced features, but it works smoothly with 1080i HDV footage on my new laptop. I'm also going to experiment with Premiere Pro and maybe take another look at Vegas.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Premiere Pro 2.0 with CineForm.

Mike
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Jacob,

With PPo 2.0 and the HV20, you are a perfect candidate for the BMD Intensity card. For $249 you get HDMI import (digital) but more importantly, you can capture directly to a variety of higher quality codecs than HDV. It will give you a more fluid and higher quality post production workflow.

-gl
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Loch View Post
Jacob,

With PPo 2.0 and the HV20, you are a perfect candidate for the BMD Intensity card. For $249 you get HDMI import (digital) but more importantly, you can capture directly to a variety of higher quality codecs than HDV. It will give you a more fluid and higher quality post production workflow.

-gl
Thanks for telling me about this.

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

I can record to MiniDV tapes. Plug my camera into the card on my computer, and record in full 1980X1080 format from the tapes through the HDMI input/output.

Is this correct?
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Carter View Post

I can record to MiniDV tapes. Plug my camera into the card on my computer, and record in full 1980X1080 format from the tapes through the HDMI input/output.

Is this correct?
Yes. For timecode/machine control you will use f/w and the video input will be through HDMI.

-gl
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Carter View Post
Hello.

I am wondering what others on this forum use for editing/capturing there HDV videos with.

I have a Canon HV20, and use Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 for capturing and editing my videos.

What programs do you like or think are the best?

Thanks!
Hi Jacob

I use PP 2.0 also .............. and will have an HV20 this week.

How does PP2.0 play for you and your HV20???? Are you using Cineform?

Thanks
JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Carter

Is this correct?
Yes. For timecode/machine control you will use f/w and the video input will be through HDMI.

-gl
No, George, that's incorrect. Once the video has been captured to tape, there is absolutely *no* advantage to be gained by capturing the contents of the tape through HDMI: it's only upscaling the already-compressed HDV 1440x1080.

If you capture directly to the computer through the Intensity card, then you'll bypass the HDV compression and get the benefit of choosing an alternative codec (such as uncompressed, Cineform, MJPEG, etc.).
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
No, George, that's incorrect. Once the video has been captured to tape, there is absolutely *no* advantage to be gained by capturing the contents of the tape through HDMI: it's only upscaling the already-compressed HDV 1440x1080.

If you capture directly to the computer through the Intensity card, then you'll bypass the HDV compression and get the benefit of choosing an alternative codec (such as uncompressed, Cineform, MJPEG, etc.).
This NOT about avoiding HDV compression completely. This is a discussion about general workflow and avoiding HDV for post production is a good idea. By using the Intensity card, you can save a step by transcoding real time into a decent codec for post workflow.

If you want to avoid HDV compression in total, you should be looking at a different camera.

-gl
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godden View Post
Hi Jacob

I use PP 2.0 also .............. and will have an HV20 this week.

How does PP2.0 play for you and your HV20???? Are you using Cineform?

Thanks
JohnG
I am not using Cineform. I have never used it before, but I am thinking of downloading the trial version.

Premiere captures 1080i for me without any problems. After capture, I am surprised with the performance that Premiere gives me when working with HDV clips. I was expecting slower performance then what I am getting.

Working with 1080 24p clips in premiere is not as easy as 1080i. I do not like the fact that there is no template for capturing and working with HDV 1080 24p.

Also, I do not think there is a way to remove pulldown from HDV 24p clips in premiere as well. I have removed pulldown from Canon 24p clips with TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress, but no luck so far with premiere.
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
This NOT about avoiding HDV compression completely. This is a discussion about general workflow and avoiding HDV for post production is a good idea. By using the Intensity card, you can save a step by transcoding real time into a decent codec for post workflow.
Oh, I see what you're saying now. I didn't realize that today's hardware/software wasn't powerful enough to decode HDV while encoding to a decent codec in real time.

Quote:
If you want to avoid HDV compression in total, you should be looking at a different camera.
Why? The HV20 and Intensity provide over 800 lines of resolution in uncompressed 4:2:2 for just $1,350. I think there are plenty of other reasosn to buy a more expensive camera, but avoiding HDV is not one of them.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #13
Regular Crew

SpeedEDIT here. It blazes through HDV like it was DV. :)
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Is there such a thing as a HDMI hard drive recorder?

I have seen some portable HD recorders, but they all use firewire as input.

I wonder if they make one that uses HDMI as an input.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
By using the Intensity card, you can save a step by transcoding real time into a decent codec for post workflow.

-gl
George, I use Sony Vegas7 for editing and transcoding. I didn't see the intesity acrd listed on Sony's site for supported hardware, but only the much more expensive Decklink cards shown.

Do you happen to know if Vegas supports teh Intensity card as well?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions