Cineform or BMD Intensity? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Cineform or BMD Intensity?

I am trying to decide which solution is right for me. I currently edit with PP2; so both are compatible. I have tried Cineform and was very impressed with the ease of use and realtime ability on my P4 3.0 ghz system. However, reading about the Intensity card from Blackmagic has me wondering if this card which includes HDMI monitoring would be better.

My question is: with the Intensity card, would the codec such as MJPEG be comparable in size to the Cineform codec capturing HDV, and would using an efficient codec wth the Intensity allow me the same performance, such as realtime playback and effects as Cineform?
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Trustee

I think this will answer your question about CineForm vs. MJPEG . . .

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88466
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #3
New Boot

If you are just going to use HDV/DV then you might want to look at the X2. The Cineform and Blackmagic are I/O Cards and will not give you much more realtime performance over just PPro by itself. The X2 has a lot more realtime capabilities than anything else in this industry today at that price. You are still looking at around $1800, but you'll get PPro 3 for free.

Check out a demo at a dealer, you'll be surprised.
Daniel Aleksic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #4
New Boot

Cineform is not a card.

It's just a codec. And a pretty good one, by the way.
Jocelyn Deguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Matrox X2 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Aleksic View Post
If you are just going to use HDV/DV then you might want to look at the X2. The Cineform and Blackmagic are I/O Cards and will not give you much more realtime performance over just PPro by itself. The X2 has a lot more realtime capabilities than anything else in this industry today at that price. You are still looking at around $1800, but you'll get PPro 3 for free.

Check out a demo at a dealer, you'll be surprised.
Hi Daniel,
I assume you have used the X2. Currently I use the cineform codec, and it seems to work very well. From the advertisements, it looks to me like the X2 is mainly just a fancy input/output card. Can you shed some light on exactly what all it does for nearly $2k? Have you done HDV both with/without the X2? I'm sure it renders faster for DVD, and has HDTV monitoring capabilities, but these are not enough to justify the price for my low volume use. On the other hand, if it greatly improves the editing process and gives superior output it might be worth it. Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions