Ulead MF6-PLUS and HD-DVD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 19th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #16
Trustee

I don't have BluRay burner, but I believe you can do it with version 6 now. I have version 5 and it said on the box there is support for BluRay authoring, but it was removed from the shipping version for some reason, maybe wasn't ready.

For HD-DVD, version 5 menus were glitchy, but version 6 menu structures are sweet.

In fact, I've used Ulead software for quite a while now, and it's always been buggy, but with version 6 it's very stable, everything seems to work as advertised, and it's joyously fast.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #17
New Boot

Womble setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Yes for the dual layer and dvd-r(w).

Womble MPEG Video Wizard will transcode the headers without rendering, so you don't lose any quality and hardly any time.
Thank you very much for the very interesting information you gave us.
May I ask you what settings do you use in Womble to get a file format accepted by MF6 ? If I set it to "Automatic", I get a new m2t file: is it necessary to create a new template in the Recorder Template manager, and with what parameters ?

Sorry if my question is silly.

Marco Durando
Marco Durando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #18
Major Player

i tested with version 5. they both worked on the burn
blu ray on dvd-r would only play on samsung, but jittery picture and audio. crashed sony player, ps3 would not recognize it.

hd-dvd on dvd-r worked perfectly on xbox 360, played jittery with no audio on toshiba hd-a1.

did not get to test either disc on combo player.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Durando View Post
Thank you very much for the very interesting information you gave us.
May I ask you what settings do you use in Womble to get a file format accepted by MF6 ? If I set it to "Automatic", I get a new m2t file: is it necessary to create a new template in the Recorder Template manager, and with what parameters ?

Sorry if my question is silly.

Marco Durando
Export to file format, "mpeg-2 Program"

1440 x 1080
25000 kbps constant bit rate
GOP Size N 15, M 3
PAR 9/16
Field Order - "No change"
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Rodriguez View Post
i tested with version 5. they both worked on the burnhd-dvd on dvd-r worked perfectly on xbox 360, played jittery with no audio on toshiba hd-a1.
My A1 plays dvd -R, +R, +RW and dual layer.

Since MF5 doesn't burn disks, the problem is likely your burning software. Try Nero 6 or 7.

With MF6+ you don't need Nero.

Burner itself can make a difference too. A good burner makes playable disks even with bad media. The only way to know is to use utility software that scans the disk surface for parity errors. Plextor is good for this. So is BenQ and NEC.

Before importing to MF6+, I use an mpeg editor called Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD. It converts the audio track to AC3 5.1 channel. Plays back perfectly with the Tosh A1 set on "bitstream."

That said, it could be your no audio problem right there...go into the A1 and change the audio to PCM.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:16 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Tom, please tell us your workflow when you shoot with the A1 in 24f to create a good HD-DVD. It would be an interesting point of view.
Sergio Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:04 PM   #22
Major Player

yeah i used roxio easy media creator 8 to burn the saved blu-ray and hd-dvd folders, burned onto sony media. I'll have to give roxio a shot.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Garcia View Post
Tom, please tell us your workflow when you shoot with the A1 in 24f to create a good HD-DVD. It would be an interesting point of view.
Nothing special is required for 24F. It's exactly the same workflow as 60i.

1.) Shoot 24F
2.) Capture video to PC
3.) Import to Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD
4.) Make edits - smart fast algorithm, 100% stream copy
5.) Export MPEG-2 Program with AC3 5.1 audio, no video render
6.) Import to Ulead MF6+
7.) Author and burn to HD-DVD in usual manner

I don't color correct in post usually. Stephen Dempsey's VIVIDRGB preset is what I use. If I do need to fix something in post, I use Vegas to render the clip only, then import that into the Womble timeline.

Everybody has a workflow that's best. I am not advocating mine in lieu of yours. I'm just saying that if you have the A1 Canon modified to shoot native 24F, you don't need any extra conversion steps for HD-DVD. It goes straight in because 24F progressive frames are already packaged with pulldown flags inside of a 60i stream. So the workflow is exactly the same whether you shoot 60i or 24F, very simple.

It's so simple in fact, I can mix 60i and 24F clips on the same timeline, and upon HD-DVD playback it's a seamless, transparent switch between 60i and 24p.
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:58 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks Tom,

In my 25 to 24 workflow, as you know, I had to "patch" the mpeg file because when I import in Ulead a 23,97 fps file it converts it to 29,97. With a native 24f file what does Ulead say when you import it? (I guess 29,97...)
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:13 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Garcia View Post
Thanks Tom,

In my 25 to 24 workflow, as you know, I had to "patch" the mpeg file because when I import in Ulead a 23,97 fps file it converts it to 29,97. With a native 24f file what does Ulead say when you import it? (I guess 29,97...)
You sir, are correct, 29.97!
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:09 AM   #26
Regular Crew

thanks,

now I really want 24f in my A1...
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM   #27
Major Player

MF6-Plus & M2T

I've been trying MF6+ and get the message "file is inaccessible" when I try to add an m2t hdv file (1080i 60fps). I'm I going to have to convert all my files or is there a way to load them into MF6+. Someone suggested VedeoRedo on another forum, but converting all my files would take days.
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wilcox View Post
I've been trying MF6+ and get the message "file is inaccessible" when I try to add an m2t hdv file (1080i 60fps). I'm I going to have to convert all my files or is there a way to load them into MF6+. Someone suggested VedeoRedo on another forum, but converting all my files would take days.
MF6+ doesn't support m2t, but transcoding to mpeg-2 program does not have to entail rendering video. I don't know how VideoRedo does it, but Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD is very fast. You can do it with a command line like tool, or you can use the editor as part of the normal workflow, cut and paste clips, encode audio to AC3 5.1, and convert to mpeg-2 program in one step. The workflow is very quick, and lossless.
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #29
Major Player

VideoRedo

Thanks for the reply.

I gave VideoRedo a try last night. It's also a very fast process and the app contains a batch builder for batch conversion so it's not as bad as I thought.

I did a test build of an HD DVD. Now I just need to find a player for my PC.

InterVideo winDVD Silver plays M2T files, but not the DVD. Any suggestions?
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #30
Major Player

Well, to answer my own question, InterVideo winDVD Platinum will play the HD DVD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions