Firewire: computer not recognizinf camera..need help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 25th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #16
Major Player

under network connections and then LAN high speed internet it shows 1394 connection as connected but the cable isn't plugged in. the other network for wireless and others are not connected and it reads "not connected". so questions is, why does the 1394 say it is connected when it isn't...I don;t know...kinda tired of making attempts. fun stuff!
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm kinda out of ideas...

Are you near a Radio Shack or similar place that may have a 1394 isolator, that would allow you to use the 6 pin connection on the pc to test without worrying about bus voltage hurting the camera.

The only difference between a 6pto4p cable vs a 4pto6p cable is just which end you happen to be holding at any given time.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #18
Major Player

ok, thanks for answering that question. the isolator, thanks for reminding me of that.

one funny odd item...the 1394 says its connected but it's not. in network connections I clicked 1394 then clicked repair but is says "windows can not finish repairing because the tcp/ip is not enabled for this connection. I don't know about this much but when loking at properties for the 1394 under network connections, I can click on tcp/ip and only the install button is available not the uninstall like the file/printers, client for microsoft, network monitor. ....this might mean nothing but just throwing it out there for anyone.

thanks so much for all of the your help. I appreciate it a ton.
Lisa
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #19
Major Player

I don't have a 1394 on machine here at work, just the home one so I'll check it out later.

1394's can pull an ip address via tcp/ip which can be an issue on some networks. Years ago, when I first got broadband I had to disable the 1394 becaused it pulled another IP address and my provider billed me for each ip address I used (like I said, this was a while ago)

You're not going to hurt anything by enabling the tcp/ip protocol on the 1394, I just don't know enough about it to know if it "requires" IP. I would think that it would only need tcp/ip enabled if it was being used for networking.

Check the settings on the desktop pc and see what they look like.
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Might be stupid to even think of... but again, only the un-asked questions are stupid, so goes the saying... Have you tried a different cable? Yes, the little fellow might occasionally bit the dust himself... I had one quit on me about half a year ago.

Also, take a very close look (with a magnifying glass if possible) to the connector itself, I managed to break one by stepping on the cable (the cable survived).

The difference between a 4-pin and a 6-pin 1394 cable is that while the 4-pin has only wires for video and camera control, the 6-pin can also run power in case you need that (for example if you're using a line amplifier, when you need to run firewire longer than 25-30 feet).

TCP/IP is the protocol for computer networks, and has nothing to do with video. The video card is also something you should not worry about when troubleshooting firewire.
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #21
Major Player

It's a new cable out of the box but it could still be bad. Glad to know on the tcp/ip. I wasn't sure why it shows it's connected when there is no cable attached. I'm going to check and see if there is an updated driver maybe, defragment everything. Looking forward to getting it worked out. Going to check with jvc too to see if they have any words of encouragement...

Thank you
Lisa
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #22
Major Player

Lisa,
You are running XP Service Pack 2 right?
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi,

I know it's xp and will double check to make sure it's SP2. I'm 99% sure it is. Don't have that computer in front of me right now.

I did check with Gateway and they said to reload the 1394 driver. So tried that and still nothing. I'm hoping it's maybe a cable problem but I'm out of ideas pretty much except for wondering if the Pinnacle program just loaded may have caused a problem.

I'll keep at it though. I tried calling jvc but was on hold an hour and couldn't wait any longer due to things that I had to get done.

But today's a new day. Maybe today the problem will show it's ugly head.

Best Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions