Maximizing Standard DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Maximizing Standard DVDs

For our clients who don't have Blu-Ray yet -- pretty much all of them -- I'm rendering standard DVDs from Vegas7 with a 720-25p setting. I understand that it burns through DVDs quickly, causing me to output multiple DVDs. I'm after quality, but am wondering if I'm wasting space and if there is a better way to utilize HD from my cams when our couples don't have Blu-Ray. Thoughts?
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Depends what your clients want to play the disks on. If they are willing to view them from a PC or HTPC then there are quite a few options.

But if they want to watch via a standalone player, not so many.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Major Player

A PC solution might work, although most PCs have poor sound setups. Even so, I know where you're going with the video quality. That *is* an option I can give the couple. What would you recommend?
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Trustee

If space is the concern, then one of the various MPEG4-based codec - AVC, H264, WMV, MP4 - would be the way to go provided they have an up-to-date machine that can handle it.

[By the way, on re-reading your post I'm a little confused by "standard DVDs with a 720p setting". The DVD standard is fixed at 480 (or 576 in PAL) lines, so if you are really doing 720p that wouldnt be standard and wouldnt play on many standalone players. Or is the 720 referring to your width?]
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #5
Trustee

Since you talking about 25P I assume you are in PAL land. Standard DVD in PAL is 720x576 resolution. Another question in that light is why 25P? All CRT TV's are interlaced and there are still lots of them around, so why not render in 50i? Are most of your clients playing the material on a PC or using a set top player? If the latter is the case, I think that for maximum compatibility 50i may be better. I have 4 set top players here and they are all interlaced, none of them progressive.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm referring to the Template dropdown when I choose MPEG-2 in Vegas7. The entry level HDV setting is HDV 720-25p. Is that a PAL setting? I was thinking that it stood for 'progressive'. It had worked well on my TV, but I'm certainly game to try another setting. Should I go for HDV 720-30p? I could also try MPEG-4. Then my options are: MainConcept AVC/AAC *.mp4 or Sony AVC/AAC *.mp4.

Second question: How would I best deliver the video for play on their PC?
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Trustee

You are in Phoenix AZ and I was under the assumption that is square in the middle of NTSC land. However 720-25p is a common denominator for 25 FPS PAL.
I'm wondering what you have shot with what camera, using which settings?

Let's first establish what settings were used during the shoot, and then determine your best way to export to standard DVD. I think more people around here are having difficulty understanding the source material, the editing and delivery you strive for.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Trustee

Hmmmm.

"HDV 720p25" usually implies 1280x720 25 frame-per-second high-def progressive footage for European televisions.

So that's certainly not standard definition DVD footage - when you say it looks fine on your TV how you are playing it? A 'normal' DVD player would not usually be able to handle that...

As Harm says, let's clarify what your raw footage is, and work from there.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Major Player

I use Sony FX1s, using the HD setting, and capture straight to Vegas7. My job properties are set for HD as well. The final product fits my widescreen TV exactly (after a long period of trial and error).
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Your "final product" is more than likely a video file (maybe Windows Media format, or some sort of MPEG4?) on your computer and you play that on your TV set used as a computer monitor - and it has nothing to do with a standard resolution DVD.

If you would like to produce standard DVDs, you will have to resize to 720x480 and encode to mpeg2/DVD either inside Vegas or using a stand-alone encoder.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #11
Major Player

?? I test my final product via a stand-alone DVD player/TV. It's MPeg-2, using the HDV 720-25p template, then burned via DVD Architect. I'm not interested in PAL, btw.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
?? I test my final product via a stand-alone DVD player/TV. It's MPeg-2, using the HDV 720-25p template, then burned via DVD Architect. I'm not interested in PAL, btw.
In that case the template you have chosen is incorrect. You need to export to MPEG2 using 720x480/60i or 720x480/24P. The 25P template is typical for PAL.
Just be aware that the FX1 source is 1440x1080/60i (interlaced).
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Looks like we all got it wrong - what Dana is asking is: how to maximize quality going from footage shot in HDV to standard DVD. Exporting to 720/25p and encoding that to DVD sounds like a waiste of time to me, you should keep it full resolution all the way, and only downconvert/encode to mpeg2 in the last stage, when authoring your DVD.

I would suggest you take a look at this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70792
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #14
Trustee

Evin - HDV is already MPEG2, so I assume you mean encoding to standard-def MPEG2?

I've become very confused by this thread. (Is DVD Architect capable of doing an automatic re-encode from HD to SD ... if so I guess that may be the explanation)
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I agree, it's one of the most confusing threads I've seen on this site. Sure, HDV is already mpeg, but the original poster wants to turn his footage into standard definition DVDs... if I got it right.

What I didn't understand is why export 1440x1080 footage downsized to 1280x720 ("I'm rendering standard DVDs from Vegas7 with a 720-25p setting") and then take that and convert it to 720x480 SD DVD ("I test my final product via a stand-alone DVD player/TV").

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions