Shared Hard Disk Space at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Tourist

Shared Hard Disk Space

What is the best way to go about doing video editing on multiple platforms and saving to a central storage device. For example: I have two Mac desktops and I wanted to have them both access the same hard disk space, like a RAID for something. Do you have any recommendations? Would a network drive be fast enough? I would also like to have them both read and write from the drive at the same time. Is this possible?
Dan Konkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Major Player

how much money you got?

too many questions, not enough facts... SD or HD video? Hub or switch? 10/100/1000 Mb ethernet backbone? Other traffic like VOIP, streaming video on the backbone?

Since I dont' have details, here's best guess...
SD I think most upper end consumer stuff would probably hold up. I occasionally pick a file off a server in my production and don't notice any ill effects. It's XP/Windows Server '03 w/ gig ethernet environment. HD may be too slow.

gigabit ethernet would be helpful, despite is is not that much faster net net than 100mbs. I've seen unmanaged 8 port gig switches for $50. Using jumbo frames helps a lot, but is esoteric..

Money to burn?, SAN dedicated storage area network, or infrant NAS or similar. If you want to be real cheap, take an old pc, put a gig enet card in it and http://www.freenas.org/ has a NAS that beats the pants off most conventional solutions out there.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Trustee

Fiber channel.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Tourist

I have 2 G5's one a Quad-core the other a Dual. They both have Gig ethernet and are expandable to fiber channel. Right now I'm doing SD, but in the future may move to HD when it becomes more conventional for my clients. I would want to be able to work simultaneously on video as well.

Would any of your solutions allow the central storage to be cross platform accessible, ie., PC and Mac?

I'm willing to throw some money at it this goal if it can work seamlessly.

Thank you for your reply.
Dan Konkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Major Player

fibre channel et.al.

Yes, the mac and pc should be able to see the volume. Because implementation varies, I cannot be specific on implementation.

I would think your current situation should support SD video. I cannot speak for HD. If HDV (m2t) will probably fine, as files size is roughly the same and the performance issues really occur on the cpu, but uncompressed is a whole other matter.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions