DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   To Vista or not to Vista! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/95767-vista-not-vista.html)

Dylan Couper June 4th, 2007 02:25 PM

To Vista or not to Vista!

I'm getting my new system this week, and need to make the final decision whether to install Vista on it, or stick with XP. I was going to go with Vista, but after reading a lot of bad things about it, I'm tempted to stick with XP. All I'm going to do with it is edit video, it probably won't ever get hooked up to the internet..

System specs are the same as in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95335

Harm Millaard June 4th, 2007 02:44 PM

If you consider that it requires 6 GB disk space, where XP requires 1.5 GB, that driver support is seriously lagging, memory requirements doubled and you get the nagging 'Authorization' screens all the time, I wonder why people even consider installing it. My advise, stick with XP at least till SP1 is out.

John Miller June 4th, 2007 04:49 PM

As a videographer and software developer (for video), I have been using Vista since November 2006.

For routine video editing, I strongly recommend keeping with XP Pro SP2 or (if you can get it) XP Pro x64.

The only possible reason to go with Vista is if you want to use Windows DVD Maker. But I expect you have superior software to that!

Brad Bodily June 4th, 2007 05:05 PM

I use Vista with the Adobe CS2/CS3 suites and a number of 3D apps without any problems (and I much prefer the overall OS to XP). However, if the machine's primary purpose is video editing, I'd also suggest XP64 for the time being.

(I do keep one XP machine around for the couple of apps I use that still have some issues with Vista (PFHoe and 3DS))

Marcus Marchesseault June 4th, 2007 05:58 PM

Since there are rarely any reasons to upgrade windows, I would say stay with XP. Can anyone name any feature that is worth being a glorified beta tester?

I just switched to XP. There is little difference between XP and windows 2000. All that matters is if it runs your applications and if it's stable. A brand-new OS is rarely more stable than one that has been out for a couple of years.

Paul Cascio June 4th, 2007 09:51 PM

I just jumped through hoops and voluntarily voided the warranty on my 2 month old laptop in order to remove Vista and switch to XP.

Vista is slow and so many programs won't run on it. Stay with XP for at least a year.

Tom Roper June 4th, 2007 10:29 PM

Vista is working fine for me. Just get the drivers and software updates from the mfr's website up front. If you disable all the non-microsoft services and startup items, the boot-up time is fast. You can disable the nag screens/authorizations. I've grown to appreciate the confirmations, keeps me from inadvertently dragging a folder with 5000 items to the wrong place. You'll adjust to it without problems if you want to.

Brad Bodily June 7th, 2007 04:01 PM

Vista's hybrid sleep mode and much improved search integration are enough by themselves for me. (I'm not suggesting anyone should/shouldn't upgrade; but as for whether there are enough reasons, it's not even a question to me which I work on.)

Jon McGuffin June 7th, 2007 06:00 PM

I am in the "no" camp on Vista. Too early to adopt a new OS with editing software not fully tested on it, period.

Tom Roper June 7th, 2007 06:32 PM

Well, my editing software is fully tested so I guess it's not too early for me, (period).

You'll make it work. If there's no reason to change then don't. It runs everything as good or better. Downloading updated driver support is the only issue.

Jon McGuffin June 7th, 2007 09:59 PM

I wouldn't consider that just because you install an OS and your software seems to work fine necessarily means that the software has been fully tested by the manufacture to be 100% compatable with the new OS.

What application are you using and does it carry the Windows Vista 100% certified logo?

Jon McGuffin June 7th, 2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault (Post 691851)
Since there are rarely any reasons to upgrade windows, I would say stay with XP. Can anyone name any feature that is worth being a glorified beta tester?

I just switched to XP. There is little difference between XP and windows 2000. All that matters is if it runs your applications and if it's stable. A brand-new OS is rarely more stable than one that has been out for a couple of years.

This post really hit it on the head. Who needs a confirmation box to prevent them from deleting a folder with 5000Megs of stuff anyway? Besides, Windows XP warns you when you try to put something in the trashcan that is to big to delete. So, again, there really is no tangible reason to be upgrading the OS right now just for the sake of doing it.

Another guy above pointed out that his Magic Bullet software doesn't work with it. I'm sure a great many people out there can and will install Vista and it'll be alright and they won't run into problems. I'm just saying that there is really no reason whatsoever to put yourself in harms way.

Actually.. I wouldn't take my word for it... Just call the software designer of all your applications and ask them "Would you rather I run on XP Professional SP2 or Vista." In a year or so, this conversation I'm sure will be in reverse because new apps will have been developed around some of the technologies that Vista affords and it's possible apps will become more of a liability on XP than on Vista. This is similiar to XP and Win2000 today.

I can't stress enough, just because somebody installs it and it seems to be "running great" doesn't make it a wise thing to do.

Jon

Tom Roper June 8th, 2007 12:59 AM

I'm not being paid a commission by Microsoft. I'm stating a personal observation. It works for me. If it didn't, I'd say so.

People posing questions want to hear from the users. I think it would be very important to hear from someone directly who can't get Magic Bullet to work. Then we can work constructively to try and solve the issue, perhaps opening a sticky for known Vista compatibility problems.

Matt Mullins June 8th, 2007 06:44 AM

I get the impression that Jon was merely pointing out a sensible methodology that the majority of broadcasters and smaller production houses adhere to. I don't think it's merely about critisizing a specific case where early adoption worked out for someone and their specific setup; If you want to adopt a newer product and it works out, great, but what if you're relying on your kit to get a program out the door and something unexpected occurs (besides all the usual potential gremlins) as a result of unresolved bugs. I think it may not be worth the risk until the bugs have been ironed out, after all why be a Beta tester. I suppose it's a weighing up process.
As an aside, only just adopted XP here at the bbc and with good reason.

My 2 bits.
Matt

Mike Teutsch June 8th, 2007 07:15 AM

I recently attended a little show/demo presented by Matrox and Adobe. During the demo they had some problems with the Vista software and needed several reboots and other little things. The basic consensus from all was that when it gets sorted out Vista will be fine and have some advantages but, for now XP is much better.

I have to say that the Matrox demo with Adobe CS3 was just amazing! I had already ordered CS3 from Adobe but will be canceling that order and getting the Matrox card which comes with a CS3 upgrade. Adobe and Matrox have a very close relationship and in fact you can't get a Matrox card without at least Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. The new combo of Adobe CS3 and the new Matrox RT.X2, with it's new software for CS3, is just great!

And, for those who might think about going the Matrox route, it works with XP32 but not with XP64.

Mike