just out of curiosity... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 9th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

just out of curiosity...

I'm for years now a PC user, powerfull I could say, but I'm quite thoughtfull lately about the stability and the architecture of Windows OS. I am almost convinced that my next investment on a computer will not be a winPC and as long as Linux has not any comparable software yet (correct me if I'm wrong) my only option is a Mac computer.
My question is (if it can mean anything to me or anyone else-it mostly comes out of curiosity) :
has anybody of you people ever heard of a big production Hollywood movie been edited or VFXd in a windows powered computer?

thank you...and sorry for making short things long :-)

edit: and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask(forgive about that)
Vasilis Stamkopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Major Player

This movie I believe was entirely edited on PC's using Premiere.

http://www.d2gfilm.com/
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thank you Jon for your reply! I checked it out on Adobe site and it is true. All three (film-DV-HDV) formats of footage were edited in Premiere & AE running on PCs.

but I'm waiting for more replies...
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilis Stamkopoulos View Post
... as long as Linux has not any comparable software yet (correct me if I'm wrong) my only option is a Mac computer.
There are some pieces of software for video editing on Linux, but probably very far from what a serious editor needs. Google around and see for yourself.
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
has anybody of you people ever heard of a big production Hollywood movie been edited or VFXd in a windows powered computer?
Last I heard most major productions were still being edited using Avid, which runs on both PCs and Macs. Also, some major FX studios have been using PC-based render farms for their animations, but perhaps running Linux rather than Windows. In any case, it's certainly feasible to do a feature-length production using Windows-based software, and the notion that otherwise might be the case is incorrect.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Major Player

This question or argument has been brought up many times in the past and never really seems to be answered to everybody's satisfaction (kinda like the old MAC vs PC wars that still have some life).

I think the reality is that both platforms are very capable and both very stable provided you take steps upfront to ensure success. Frankly, I would not abandon the PC for a Macintosh but if money isn't much of an object, there are certainly great products and systems over on the MAC side of the equation. Over time, it's been my experience that both MAC's and PC's have become far MORE stable and reliable.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

until microsoft released vista that is. Maybe we should be comparing specific platforms here.
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Doesn't all of Avids high end products run exclusively on PC. The Smphony and the DS Nitris? Vista isn't really an argument here, there is not really an insentive to upgrade, all the software that most of us cares about still needs XP sp2. Don't forget about Autodesks line of software, all PC based. Most Maya users seem to choose the PC platform. The PC probably has an edge over Mac in terms of Hollywood production. Also, consider all of the hype Apple gave walter murch for editing with FCP. I would be interested in hearing about any Mac user that is interested in switching from the Apple suite to the Adobe suite, I personally would like to see an all out war. Oh yeah, I'm typing this on a G5 running FCP Studio, runs like a champ. I personnally have no preference over Mac vs PC, for the record.
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I used and abused several PCs in the last 10 years both at work and at home. If a PC is properly made and properly used, it runs for years without any problems.

Keyword is "properly", meaning the components are carefully selected and put to work together - think Dell workstations for example (that's what I have at work). A team of engineers and software people work together to optimize everything to the last small detail. Now think of Joe Enthousiast who goes to the corner shop and picks up the case, power supply, mobo, processor, RAM, video card, etc. Did he do his research to make sure all these parts work together properly? Maybe... or maybe not. Are all of those components made by the same company? More than likely, not. And then he complains about the instability of PCs... goes out and buys a Mac and he's happy ever after. But if he bought a factory made PC with high class after-sale service and did the updates, he would have gotten the same results... isn't the grass always greener on the other side?

One other thing. How many pieces of free software are out there for the Mac? And how many for the PC? A lot more chances to screw up even the best made PC if you start installing all that "good" conflicting stuff.

What was true about 10 years ago, is no longer true today. At first, while McIntosh was thinking about quality, Bill Gates spent more time and money on marketing - now that he has 90% of the market, he can look after quality!

Strictly my opinion... please don't hammer me for it.
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Dust to Glory used cineform intermediate, or at least a plugin didn't it?
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thank you all fot your replies.
My intention was not to start a new war thread Mac vs PC (and I'm happy it didn't get there :-) ).
Yes I have checked many times for applications on Linux and I use Linux occasionally but when it comes to video editing things are a little low-end there.
I've built my own 3-4 PCs(and used much more branded ones) and all are running like a charm (my latest PC was built in late 2004 and is still quite powerfull to edit even small HDV projects with just some cuts here and there).
I am thinking the other side just because I suppose that all these FCP users have less to worry about building a computer & making it work and having more creative time on their disposal.
I am convinced though that Mac OS is designed to work with the hardware but on the contrary PC hardware is forced to work with windows.
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Wow, your totally right. I haven't really checked out the requirements for a Mac avid since the Intel boxes came out. Being the kind of open platform guy that I am, this is great news, especially because I am building a PC xpress box and intend on buying a MacBook pro sonner or later (all of my current clients have FCP machines). Any word for mac Studio support? This doesn't pertain to my original post though. I really didn't get the response I was looking for, but I still find it interesting that Adobe thinks they have a market with PC users. Thanks all for the wonderful info and ideas.
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Yes I have checked many times for applications on Linux and I use Linux occasionally but when it comes to video editing things are a little low-end there.
Have you had a look at Autodesk Smoke2007 Extension 1?
http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_it...leId=196603081

I don't know how you can say that this successor of Discreet Edit is a little low-end, especially with a price around $ 100K? This is probably the most capable NLE running under Linux and may surpass AVID in a number of aspects.

Last edited by Harm Millaard; June 16th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

In practice, stability is mostly determined by how stable your software is.

Some software is very unstable... Final Touch used to be like this (and now it has turned into Color and is more stable). Some "high end" packages arent necessarily that stable (they may not have that many developers working on it).

FCP is like middle of the road. It does have longstanding bugs (media mangler), the initial releases arent that solid until the patches come out, and FCP or OS X or quicktime updates can break your system.

And then personally Ive found Sony Vegas to be pretty solid (more so than FCP definitely).

2- Certain hardware acceleration cards or boards can be very picky. So you can get instability there.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Harm, thanks for the info. I really haven't heard of the Autodesk Smoke2007 so I guess you made me open my eyes and think twice. (but then again we're talking about a big amount of money) Although I think you are right, a softwre suite costing that much is well understood who is it for. ;-)
and Glenn it is very usefull to have opinions from people that actually used both or more platforms thank you for the information too.

Last edited by Vasilis Stamkopoulos; June 18th, 2007 at 06:20 AM.
Vasilis Stamkopoulos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions