24p footage, edit with how many fps? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24p footage, edit with how many fps?

I am thinking about how I am going to edit some footage that has been shot in 24p on a Canon HV20. In vegas, I select 1080-24p and it says the framerate is 23.976. So, do I edit in 23.976 or should I change it to 24 frames per second?
Jason Dourgarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The actual "24" is 23.976 fps... 24 is a rounded number. So go with whatever the preset gives you; it is correct.
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Jason:

What part of Sac ?

With the HV20, you may get a wierd result in selecting 23.97 or 24p. Reason is that the 24p in the HV20 is in the 60i 1080i stream. You get a 24 fps feel. This has been discussed a length in the HV20 forum. So you should probably continue to edit and render in the 1080i HDV preset.

There has been some pressure put on Canon to offer a work around for this issue, but they haven't expressed any willingness to do that. The problem is that Canon did not put flags in the footage to allow the editors to "know" what frames stay, and which go, in a conversion to full blown 24p.

Cineform had NeoHDV available for $ 250.00 that will do the removal at capture, and allow you to edit in its intermediate codec ( which is better for other reasons too, they say). Again in the HV20 forum, there was a group that was doing a "free" workaround using various shareware programs, but the last I saw, there were some issues there.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm from Rancho Cordova,

Anyway, I read extensively the whole pulldown process at the HV20 forum. It's kind of a pain but it works, so I'll do that.

I was just curious about the actual frame rate because I am going to be putting in some 3d elements onto my video timeline and I need to make sure I have the 3d clips set to the exact right frame rate.
Jason Dourgarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
..... Again in the HV20 forum, there was a group that was doing a "free" workaround using various shareware programs, but the last I saw, there were some issues there.
FYI, There's no real issues. It does what is expected. I have been using this for the past month with perfect results.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions