Time to pick up a NLE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Time to pick up a NLE

Hi,

I'm mainly interested in story telling, docs. I've used simple NLE such as Imovie. I'm at ease on both PC and Mac platform.

It's time for me to build/buy a new computer and pick up a real NLE package.
I certainly don't want to start a war, but I'd like input about Vegas 7 and FCP suite 2.

I've tried Avid, the free version, I don't like it.

I don't have any doubt that FCP is a great NLE. I've hear a lot of good things about Vegas, but I'm wondering why nobody is using it professionally?

Movies have been edited with FCP. TV and news, I think, are being edited using FCP, but I'm not aware of anything, not even low budged independent movies being edited with Vegas. Do we know why?

What is it that FCP does that Vegas can't? There must be a reason why Vegas is so cheap and not used by any pro?
Thanks for your input
Larry
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Major Player

If you want real time full 1080 output while editing, you want to look at Edius NX for HDV, the faster you computer the more layers and effects it can do.
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Excellent advice on the Edius NX, but you want to get the very latest version which is the Grass Valley EDIUS NX Express $1,199.00

Let the groundbreaking Grass Valley EDIUS NX Express take you to the world of high definition video production! Grass Valley EDIUS NX Express delivers genuine realtime HD resolution editing including full quality, full frame rate HD output - to an HD video monitor - from the timeline. http://www.videoguys.com/ediusNX.html

Gary
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Larry,

I'm a little confused by what it is you're looking for. You seem to be concerned that the product you select, be "One that the pro's use" ... yet you're not interested in AVID, the NLE that 95% of all movies are edited on.

You really are holding the answer to your own question.

Find an NLE that will fill your needs, with an interface and workflow that seems right for YOU. Don't worry about what percentage of 'professional' work is cut on that PARTICULAR brand of NLE. (For the record, there are TV stations using Vegas, and I think at least one Award Winning Doc was shot with it.)

What you are asking about is why the Market Share for each product is as widely varied as it is. The answer has a lot to do with Industry Standards, Standard Operating Procedures, Product Integration, Old Habits, Product Maturity, etc etc etc. Do a search, and find the history of each NLE, when it was introduced, how long it took to achieve market share, why it holds it, what it takes to change market habits.

For what it's worth, I cut on Avid. I'm going to pick up a MacBook Pro later this summer, and I'll probably pick up a copy of FCP at that time, and run them BOTH on my laptop.

Keep testing the NLE's and find the one that seems right for you. Since you are not 'platform dependent' - you are willing to work in MAC or PC - you have the option of running FCP, AVID or the new PREMIERE on a MAC. If you go PC, you'll have the option of running AVID, PREMIERE, VEGAS and most other NLE's. That might influence which platform, and which NLE you choose.

Don't spend time worrying about what the 'pros' use.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Hi,

I've tried Avid, the free version, I don't like it.

Larry
Avid Free is a very very dumbed down version of Xpress/Media Composer. So, I wouldn't judge it as a refelection at all of the other Avid offerings. After all, there is a reason that it is FREE. You might check out the free trial version of Avid Liquid before passing on Avid.
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Major Player

To me, the most important thing about any NLE is how intuitive it is for you to use. Only you can be the judge of that. You need to try them out and see what NLE "thinks like you think."

for me back in 1995 that was Avid. I came out of TV news where we used 3/4" tape and 16mm film. I never really cut the film myself, I was a reporter, but I watched intently. So when I trialed several of the NLE's available at that time, and there were not many. I checked out Dvision, Videocube, Media 100 and Avid. Avid, since it had a film geneaology made sence with clips and bins etc.

I still edit on Avid. At home I used Ulead's MSP 6 to produce my documentary (low price point, pretty intuitive for me). I now have Avid at home as well, and have been messing around with Vegas. There are some things I really like about the Vegas interface, but trying to learn how to "think different" while still using Avid every day, has been a bit daunting. At the moment I'm not sure I will continue using Vegas for the bulk of my work, Avid is just too ingrained, but that's today. Ask me again tomorrow. LOL

As Richard said, find what works for you and forget about everyone else. You have to work with it on your projects, not them.

In the end they are all just tools.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Every NLE has good and bad things about it, if you are a good editor, you should have no problem overcome any weaknesses it has and home in on its strong point, you should have an open mind and try to work the way it was design to work, don't think that this is not how my old NLE works, the way this new NLE work is not intuitive, if you think like that you will be looking for a long time, so imho, you should look for an NLE that offers the most realtime, least bugs, best bang for the buck, and like I said, if you are good, you will adapt and be very efficient with any software. So when you buy a new NLE, you should immediately get rid of the old one, this way you don't depend on the old one at all, it force you to learn the new NLE and overcome any obstacle you might encounter and you will be good with it in no time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions