hd100 720 24 with fcp6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

hd100 720 24 with fcp6

ok the title probably sums up my question

i have the new final cut studio 2 which has fcp 6 im shooting on an HD 100 and the settings are at 720/ 24

when i log the footage into the computer everything captures fine but when i go to play the footage back it will only play at 100 miles an hour. i have to slow it down to 40% before its even watchable and i know there has to be a better way

the simple question

how do you with fcp 6 get this footage onto the computer
sorry for probably yet another post on this topic i searched all i could and came up with nothing. im new to this camera and this is my first time using a mac.
please help me out

thanks

MEKHAEL
Mekhael Trepanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhael Trepanier View Post
how do you with fcp 6 get this footage onto the computer
sorry for probably yet another post on this topic i searched all i could and came up with nothing. im new to this camera and this is my first time using a mac.
Hi Mekhael.

Your search probably came up with nothing because this forum isn't really to do with HD on the Mac.

Earlier, there was a separate forum for HD/HDV on the Mac, but it was later merged with the Non-Linear Editing on the Mac forum. So you'll find all of the relevant threads concerning HD/HDV on the Mac over there.

Regarding your question, I haven't upgraded to FCS2/FCP6 yet, but the procedure for capturing 720p24 footage has been straightforward ever since FCP 5.1.2.

Just make your "Easy Setup" for "HDV 720p24", then capture and edit away.

I suspect that you might have obtained the sped-up footage because you were trying to capture in AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), perhaps it was set to AIC 720p30? Just a guess.

Anyway, setting Easy Setup to HDV 720p24 should solve your problems.

If you encounter further difficulties, the Mac forum and the JVC ProHD camera forum contain plenty of threads with solutions and workarounds for those that do have problems (esp. those who have slow hard drives or slow processors or who don't use the recommended ProHD tapes or don't clean their camera or deck heads regularly, etc., etc., etc., etc.).

Good luck.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thank you for the answer
ive been through every forum on here and cant seem to find any one straight answer yes i did search high and dry first.

i know foresure it was on 720/24. but i will have to talk to my friend about if we were using this easy set up ???

my cameras head were just cleaned and im using a brand new 25$ hd sony tape. its always possible but id find it hard to belive that this would cause the problems...

can having not enough hard drive space left cause your footage to play back twice as fast???

its just frustrating this FCS2 costs so much and it seems like a mission and a half to get it all working.

any further help would be nice

*** if this needs to be moved to another thread feel free****

MEKHAEL
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhael Trepanier View Post
my cameras head were just cleaned and im using a brand new 25$ hd sony tape. its always possible but id find it hard to belive that this would cause the problems...

can having not enough hard drive space left cause your footage to play back twice as fast???
Hi Mekhael.

No, the drive space and type of tape wouldn't cause the speed-up problem.

I'm still fairly certain that you've captured in "AIC 720p24" rather than "Native HDV 720p24".

I did a quick search and found the following post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....4&postcount=21

and especially noting his comment, "When I capture HDV 24p via AIC, the footage gets marked that as well, but plays super fast (hm, like 60pfs!)".

Of course, you have to slow 60 fps down to 40% to get it to 24 fps, which is consistent with your experience from your first post.

There's a really fast way to check this out (without even having to ask your friend). Open up your project in FCP. Go to the Browser and select (click once) one of the clips you captured which played back too fast. Then press Apple 9 (or Command 9) to bring up the "Item Properties". Look down the left-hand column until you get to "Compressor". If it says, "Apple Intermediate Codec" or contains "AIC" anywhere, then that's the problem.

If you captured natively, it will say, "HDV 720p24".

If it turns out that AIC was not involved in this problem, I suggest you go over to the ProHD or Mac forums and ask Tim Dashwood, because I don't know what else could be causing it (the speed-up).
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks david i will try tonight when i get home and post my results...

thanks again for the input

MEKHAEL
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

SUCCESS !!!!!

david if your ever in vancouver canada i owe you a beer...

thanks again

the easy set up without the aic was the majic touch

MEKHAEL
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Great! I'm glad it worked out. I really enjoy capturing and editing natively with FCP. And, of course, with FCP6/FCS2 you now have the option (if you desire it) of exporting in the new, high-quality ProRes codec.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions