DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Studio background - what is it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/106285-studio-background-what.html)

Gints Klimanis December 10th, 2003 07:19 PM

back drop cloths ?

In a recent vtaping situation, I was aching a few a few drop cloths to cover some mirrors. Can anyone recommend a source for some of those grayish/camouflage looking backdrops ?

Also, what economical and "rollable" material would be good to block out a 4' x 6' window ?

Thanks !

Boyd Ostroff December 10th, 2003 07:36 PM

We buy most of our soft goods from Rose Brand. They are a terrific company to deal with and have quite an assortment of fabrics. For smaller drops you can probably just buy a few yards of one of their wider materials. Browse around their website a bit. You could also call; they're very helpful. I do quite a bit of work with Peter Monahan there.

Joe Gioielli December 11th, 2003 05:21 PM

Another thought

Depending on your artistic ability, you could go low tech.

Sometimes if you go to fabric stores you can find good prices on a bolt of fabric. Get a netural color and some (God help me) spray paint. Just get a contrasting color and go easy with it.

You can get great results if you take your time. Just make sure you get one person to do it (two people can't get the same pattern) and work from the middle out.

Now I was a theatre major in college (in case you are wondering, yes I am unemployed) so I got to make mistakes on the schools budget.

Now for the window, look up Rosco on the web. They make gels for lighting. You can get all kinds of filter material. You can get gel that will balance the daylight to artificial light. If you just want to block it out. Aluminium foil will work. Paint one side of it a netural color so it will look ok behind the drapes.

Good Luck
Joe

Ken Tanaka December 11th, 2003 06:08 PM

Studio Depot, an online store of Mole Richardson, stocks many such supplies.

Markertek also has many backdrops and other supplies.

Ervin Farkas October 23rd, 2007 01:43 PM

Studio background - what is it?

3 Attachment(s)
I am working in a team producing some TV programming in cooperation with a Romanian studio. Recently our achor flew to Bucharest and recorded a few programs over there, at the studio.

We like very much the background seen on the attached pictures but the anchor could only tell us that it's some sort of metal with small dots on it and the light is coming from the floor.

Any idea what it might be and where to get it here in the States?

Thank you,

Nate Weaver October 23rd, 2007 02:10 PM

It's sheet aluminum or stainless steel, most likely over a frame made of 2x4s.

The sheet is then "treated" with a circular sander to make the half-moon shapes you see.

This sort of decorative metal work is popular in southern california, you see it in elevators, on reception desks and restaurant tables, etc. Sometimes, the aluminum is sealed afterwards with a clear coat of some sort...or polished as well.