What Do You Drive? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old November 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #16
Major Player

Jeep Wrangler 97 - I don't have any back seat - so I can lug all my equipment. Go anywhere do anything!

I'd like to upgrade to the 2008 4 door wrangler so I can have 2 1/2 times the space. The old two door 97 doesnt hold much space really and my company is growing.
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #17
Wrangler

Regarding the Element - glad to hear you guys like yours. I looked at one a few years ago when I was car shopping and passed on it. The 4wd version was pricey and (to me) a 2wd SUV doesn't make much sense. But what really surprised me was that the VW Golf was rated to carry more weight!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #18
Major Player

New Nissan Pathfinder with 2.5 liter diesel; I get 31.5 mixed miles per gallon with it, even better on highway...
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #19

VW (Winnebago) Rialta
VR6 engine gets 19 MPG
Onboard battery system with 3000 watt inverter gives me all the 60 Hz power I need for computers, monitors, etc.
Lots of storage for equipment and a great portable editting studio.
AND, I can take a nap while waiting for people to get their sh_t together.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Kia Sorrento. I have full hitch set up to pull a pop up trailer for travel, and haul gear. I can load a self built 8 foot boom, and lots of other gear with seats down. Very happy with this rig.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #21
Wrangler

Toyota 4Runner

although for years I drove a Corvette. Just enough room for a full size camera bag and a set of sticks wedged between the seats. :)
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #22
Major Player

Drive

I got 07' CRV , great car, looks nice and can haul good amount of gear and more importantly it has an MP3 player jack in the center console, right next to an AUX power jack. mileage is good.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #23
Wrangler

Although I don't own one, I saw the new panel side version of the Chevy HHR at this year's state fair. I think it's the perfect vehicle aside from only having seating for two. The rear doors pop open from the inside though for easy access to cargo. It may be my next vehicle.

Right now, it's still the 2001 Chevy 3500 4x4 crew cab. It's really every vehicle I could need on one set of wheels.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #24
Regular Crew

We have a 2001 Suzuki Swift, a three-door hatchback. Its pretty amazing how much gear you can pack in it. I've had friends with SUV's struggle to fit in what I can put in my car easily. The gas mileage is great, around 50mpg. My wife and I use it for windsurfing as well, so we put a lot of miles on it. Gas mileage goes down to 40mpg when we put our boards on the roof. If I had to replace it, I'd look at the Honda Fit. The way the seats fold right down into the floor allows for a lot cargo space.
I think in America we're a little unaware of just how expensive gas is going to get. Been hearing on the news and reading on-line that $3 per gallon gas will soon be considered cheap. In Canada, they're certainly getting up there, as they're already over $4 dollars a gallon. When we first started going to the Gorge windsurfing, a lot of people with larger cars just laughed and said they would never drive such a small car, no matter how expensive gas became. Gas at that time was about $1.40 per gallon. Now, honestly, we've had people come up and ask us all about the car, how we fit the gear in etc. One guy acutally got heated when he asked my wife what kind of gas mileage we got and she told him 40 mpg. He called her a liar and stormed off. People think our car is so small, but if you go to other countries, especially in Europe, you realize how over-sized many of the cars in America are. But then again, they pay even more for gas than Canadians, I think up to $6-7 dollars per gallon. One question I have for all you SUV people out there is, at what point would gas prices make you think of switching to a smaller, non-four wheel drive car? I've met people who say they don't care if gas is $20 per gallon, they are just never going to give up their SUV. I also get bewildered by these people who claim to "need" four-wheeled drives, but then put over-sized low profile racing tires on. Um, not the most ideal "snow" tire!
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #25
Trustee

Another vote for the Honda Element.

Which I consider the best light production vehicle I've ever owned, hands down.

I replaced my Astro Vans and Suburbans with one years ago and never looked back.

If you look just at the specs, it has more than 40 cubic feet of cargo space which is more than anything but the Excursion. (I was always disappointed with how little cargo room the Suburban and most "SUV's" actually have accessible without the major hassle of removing seats - on the Element, they fold up with carabiner clips for light loads or remove pretty easily for full cargo access.)

Under $20k - Over 20mpg - Lots of usable space plus all the goofy Element stuff (the tent accessory which is an excellent talent field changing room or "switch from the tailgate" setup - lots of 12 volt outlets - easy upper rack installation) - and best of all - YES, you can hose the sucker out after a long location shoot.

Oh, and Boyd - 95% of my production is in town - so 4wd is pretty useless. I'm totally happy with 2wd AND the mileage is commensurately better.

My solution until I find something better.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #26
Major Player

For me a SUV (or in this case a real 4x4 with low gears & center locking differential) is a "must" as we have still 4 kids (out of 6) at home and 4 dogs, so a 7 seater is a minimum. Nice for boat trailer towing, too. Sometimes the video gear also fills the car quite nicely. Also we get several months of snow & ice, for which, even with studded tires, having a four wheel drive is a benefit and also a safety issue, I feel. My wife drives a 2.8 liter diesel Jeep Cherokee (Liberty in US I belive) and the oldest daughter has a Kia Picanto.

The milage (well over 30 mpg) I get is great considering the size & weight of the car, diesel here is about 1.15 €/liter = 6,35 $US/gallon by the way, gas well over 7$/gallon (fuel tax is pretty high, and car tax 100% + 22% VAT on top, list price for a basic Pathfinder is 83000 $US...). The price does not affect me much yet, but it is certain the fuel price levels will double or tripple in not-so-distant future. Oil production is not growing with demand and every 10% increase in demand with fixed production doubles the prices... Thank you China...
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:00 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Ive got a 93 Isuzzu trooper. WOW! I love this baby, especially usefull for the northern states that get lotsa snow and ice (like the winter storm warning occurring on my tv right now :(

Can take 2 cams, 6 lowel lights and cases, steadicam, whole damn studio with me and still have camp gear and seating for 3

Havent done it yet, but later I'm taking the smaller of two collapsable rear seats out, and having a cage installed to hold equipment. Theyll have to take the whole damn thing!

OK, Mr. Allen's thread here has me thinking Ill start another one based on security, vehicle and studio. Ill check and see if one exists, even if its not mine, look for it!

Last edited by Damon Mentzer; December 2nd, 2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Idea for new thread
Damon Mentzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM   #28
Regular Crew

i've got two cars right now, a mazda mx6 which i'm trying to sell, and my newer car a toyota corolla, I'd say anything sporty in not practical. Dealing with a 2door car was a hassle for many reasons, thats why I switched to a 4 door car.

Also in my opinion, if you have your own videography business, a classy car is better. When I showed up to jobs in my mx6, I feel that stereo-typed me in a sense, lol. Suv's are good, but hard on gas, vans are great, but alot of people consider van's "mom cars" Hope you find something to your liking!
Jenna Klingensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #29
Trustee

The Millennium Wardrobe

"She'll make the Sainsburys Run in 3.2 Parsecs"

"You came to the shoot in *that*? You're braver than I thought"

Yup, a Volvo 850 T-5 - 0-60 in 6.5 secs, legendary 'portable black hole' Volvo carrying capacity, totally ignorable in a car park, no 4x4 stigma in London, the most comfy car I've experienced.

More importantly, four people, two camera kits, laptops for all, and an interview lighting kit.

Yes, it's a bit of an old crate, but it's a reliable old crate that's practical and fun to drive that I don't have to worry about when left in a car park.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Suv

I have a SUV (Super Utility Vehicle) ! We have a F 250 super crew 7.3 l diesel. We film outdoor hunting TV and we need a ton of gear for our trips, so the f 250 gets the call. it also gets 20+ MPG weighing in at a slight 9,000lbs. room for 5 adults up front and all the gear you need in the bed!
Kirk Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home