What Do You Drive? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old March 31st, 2008, 04:25 PM   #91
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
1999 Jeep Cherokee 2Dr

I'm on my second Cherokee. I buy them with the 4.0 litre inline 6 cylinder with the 5 speed. I use about 9 litres per 100 kilometres when she's running right, 13 litres when she's not.

I can take all my shooting gear nearly anywhere with it in relative comfort. Unfortunately, since Jeep came out with the Liberty, I have no idea what my next vehicle will be. Possibly a Subaru Outback or Forester. I NEED 4WD or AWD as we can have snow and ice at least 6 months of the year in a bad year.
Attached Thumbnails
What Do You Drive?-dsc_0016.jpg  
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #92
New Boot

Jeepsters

We're Grand Cherokee folks, too. We came really close to buying the Element, but we haul our boom from time to time and opted for the longer cabin. It's been great for us.
Stephen Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #93
Trustee

Mazda 5 sport
Mazda MX5
Mercedes 1991 Sl300 24valve
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #94
Major Player

2006 - Mazda 6 with AC/DC Inverter in the glove box. Mac Based Mobile edit system to check and download P2 content at the scene so the producers walk with the footage at the end of the day. Great gas mileage for the buck.
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #95
Regular Crew

A 2003 Chevy Suburban Z-71! I LOVE IT!! Except the gas! 19mpg highway.
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #96
Regular Crew

A 1986 BMW 525e most of the time. Nice and economical (I think it's badged as the 528e in the US). And a 93 Jag XJ6, 3.2s, nowhere near as economical. I bought it to do up and sell on but have occasionally used it when it was needed in a film, as it was similar to one which had been used in some earlier filming.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...capture26b.jpg
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #97
Major Player

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4-door.

It can haul a LOT of stuff. 6-passenger max. I'd like to get a camper shell for it so that I can toss everything in the back. As it is, I only put stuff in the back when I have to and I lock it down with bike locks and tydowns, etc.

I'd like to get something new but my husband says No way. That may change with the gas prices though, since my truck gets something like 13mpg in the city. I've been looking at the hybrid suv from ford (?). Definately need more power than the Prius can deliver.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #98
Regular Crew

A 2002 Chrysler T&C All Wheel Drive mini van. I bought it one year old with 20 K miles on it. It now has 122,000 on it. It has been as far east as Virginia and it has seen the Pacific Ocean in San Diego. I got the soccer mom car and my wife got the Audi A4. How did that happen?

The car is loaded (Limited). It is extremely comfortable for long distance travel. As stupid as they seem.....the electric doors and tailgate are great when you approach the van with your hands full. Tinted rear windows and furniture pads cover everyting from prying eyes. The All Wheel Drive is a pleasure in any kind of weather. I pull the seats when necessary.

Unfortunately, they quit making AWD versions of the Dodge and T&C in 2004 when the "stow and go" seating used the space that the drive shaft took.

Besides using it for work it also tows 2 motorcycles to Colorado every summer for our annual participation in the Colorado 500 Charity Motorcycle ride.

Highway mileage is usually in the 20.5 to 22 MPG range. Towing the motorcycles (open flat trailer) about 16.5 for the trip to Colorado.

It has been a great van and almost trouble free. I upgraded the brakes to slotted/cross drilled rotors with EBC Greenstuff pads because of the trailer hauling. I am on my second set of Michlein Hydroedge tires that are good all year round and absouletly amazing in the wet.

I like the exterior design of the car and I find the new ones butt ugly. Too slab sided. Too much Jeep and Mercedes G Wagon for my taste.
Michael Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #99
Regular Crew

I drive a 2006 Kia Sorento 4wd SUV, which costars in my weekly show on local TV, "Rapid Ralph Runs the Roads" ('We take you to places you don't even know are places') in which I travel the mountain roads of Western North Carolina.
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #100
Regular Crew

I haul all my stuff around in a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser. All of the back seats fold up allowing plenty of room for gear. Also, it's an extremely competent four-wheel drive so getting to almost any shoot is generally a breeze, no matter where it is or what the environmental conditions are like.

Couple other points: lots of room for passengers (seats 7), legendary reliability (I've got almost 150K miles and it runs like new), you can film moving shots straight out the back or by rigging up a jib.

Cheers,
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #101
Major Player

2004 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab - work
1999 Mercury Cougar - fun
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM   #102
Major Player

I drive old school - 1988 VW cabriolet. My VW mechanic swears by these cars and said I got a deal at $500. I've maybe put another $400 so far to get it mechanically sound, but the thing gets mid 30 mpg on the highway and close to 30mpg in the city. Gas prices have me smiling at how little I have to put gas in it. I drive only when I have to. Local errand running around town is either the car or my custom single speed commuter bicycle when I have less than a couple miles to travel for errands.
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #103
Regular Crew

I drive a 4 door soft-top H1 Hummer. I have the wagon extension for the soft top when I need to carry lots of gear. It allows me to carry all the gear I need, but I am limited to 4 people max (including myself). We are thinking about buying a couple year old Ford Excursion to use for the company so we can carry talent and gear. Being located in Las Vegas we tend to go out and shoot in the desert a lot and an SUV is perfect for that.

If we are not going off road I have a Kenworth with living quarters. It is not ideal because it is designed for carrying my car, but it gives us more than enough room in the back for gear and a nice air-conditioned living area with a kitchen and bathroom/shower. This really helps when we are trying to shoot in the summer heat. (Of course I could never justify this expense for the company at this point, but I have the truck from my hobby so we get double use out of it - more info at www.CureCFracing.com )

If it is just me and a single model running around town for solo content we tend to use my daily driver which is an 01 Viper.

P.S. Yea I love my life :-)

Thanks!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
What Do You Drive?-hummer_in_ghost_town.jpg   What Do You Drive?-kenworth.jpg  

What Do You Drive?-cassy_with_viper.jpg  
William Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #104
New Boot

heh at the other end of the spectrum from the Hummer, I have a Vauxhall (gm) corsa with a huge! 1.3 litre cdti engine. Its great for hills and narrow windy roads, perfect for holidays and 70mpg. With fuel costing a fortune these days the economy rocks. I'd love an f150 (again), and a toyota hilux for when the f150 breaks (often as its a ford). Fuel prices in Europe are insane, £1.30 a litre for diesel right now, for an imperial gallon thats £5.85 or $11-$12 an imperial gallon.
It alledgedly does 72mpg but 65mpg is more realistic.
Richard Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #105
Regular Crew

Yea fuel costs certainly hurt now-a-days. H1 ~ 12mpg; Viper ~ 10mpg; Kenworth ~ 5.5mpg My daughter drives a mini-cooper and it is amazing how far it goes on a tank of gas. Certainly makes me jealous.

Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home