What Do You Drive? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old May 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #106
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wilson View Post
Yea fuel costs certainly hurt now-a-days. H1 ~ 12mpg; Viper ~ 10mpg; Kenworth ~ 5.5mpg My daughter drives a mini-cooper and it is amazing how far it goes on a tank of gas. Certainly makes me jealous.

Bill
I think your figures will be in US gallons which is 3.8 liters, whereas an imperial gallon is 4.5 liters so I think that makes the corsa about 50mpg instead of 65mpg.
I cant wait for the next fuel to get mainstream. As soon as we get off our asses with fusion stations we will have enough clean energy to go large scale with hydrogen. I would imagine that would leave certain oil producing countries unhappy.
Richard Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #107
Major Player

I have such car envy, I drive a Porsche twin turbo, and on order for a Spyker 12 cylinder, neither of which is large enough to hold me and even a point and shoot :(

One of these days I will get a truck, but I like minivans so much better, I just cannot bring myself to buy one. Rent or borrow, no problem, but actually be a minivan owner that will make me feel like I am getting older and more practical. thats so not me :(
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Eastwood View Post
I have such car envy, I drive a Porsche twin turbo, and on order for a Spyker 12 cylinder, neither of which is large enough to hold me and even a point and shoot :(
Ah Stephen,

You can certainly get a point and shoot in the car with you. You just have to have your talent hold it on her lap :-)

The Viper actually has a decent amount of space in the rear hatch area. I can carry my porta-brace with video set up and a seperate smaller porta-brace for my still set-up. I have to be shooting natural light though. No room to bring any lights along.

The girls love it when I pick them up in the car though. It is way more popular with them than the Hummer. Surprisingly they all seem to love the Kenworth too though.

What is your Twin? I c-drove a C4 I believe is the model reference in a recent endurance race. Interesting driving an all wheel drive when I am used to racing rear wheel drive. It was an amazing car for being almost completely stock! Porsche has really refined the design over the years!

Bill
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #109
Major Player

911 turbo, 480 stock HP, I have twin bosch superchargers pumping it up to about 600 :/

And all wheel drive is strange coming from the 928's and older muscle cars, and even different from the rear wheel drive 911's its more stable through turns though, it pushes and pulls
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #110
Major Player

I used to have a Chevy S-10, 4 dr, 4wd until it died. I am currently using a 97 Chevy Camaro Z-28 which gets decent mileage (25 mpg hwy). I have refined my packing and I can get 2 large light kits with a total of 9 lights/stands/light controls etc., plus a 4 tube Kino-Flo, 2 tripods, audio package, 13" monitor, full BetaCam package, batteries, power supplies, back-up camera (Sony HVR-V1U), stingers, dimmers, black wrap, galf tape, slate, back drops and probably some things I don't remember inside the Camaro. And I still have some room left over.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #111
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy D. Allen View Post
Ok, so this is a bit different.

I live in the very hot Arizona desert, and my AC just went out. Yuck! Luckily it's cooler here now so I have some time to get a replacement car.

I'm in the process of car shopping and I'm trying to figure what I should get. Being a full time Commercial Video guy, and a part time Independent Filmmaker, I'm trying to figure out what vehicle would best fit my needs for equipment and all that jazz.

So, I'm just curious what everybody else is uses to haul their gear, and why they use what they use.

I think it's pretty relevant to being productive in our industry.

Looking forward to all your responses!
1973 VW bus named Dante the Hellrider. Locking camera case bolted under the bench seat that locks also. Lots of room for chargers, tripods, odds and ends. I setup the table in the back for editing and hook the laptop right into the vehicles stereo. You can cook, eat, sleep and even use it as a blind for nature photography. Although critters might find a bright, orange vehicle to be a bit out of place. It's worked great for me but then again, I'm editing a VWcentric travel doc right now too. ;)
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #112
Major Player

I recently got a Scion XB, and it works out very well as a gas-efficient light production vehicle. It's short, so real long stuff (crane, 2x4s, etc) is a bit tough, but the gas mileage is awesome and it's a fun car to drive too.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
'91 Toyota Land Cruiser with 251K miles
Perfect for hauling gear :)
It's the company "car".
That's the twin of my wife's car. I like them.

I do the offroad thing from time to time with my daily driver as well:

It's an '85 4Runner sensibly modified for occasional offroad use, including +4" springs, 35" MTR's, a wider '89 rear axle with 4.88 gears and lockers in front and rear diffs, intake, header, port n' polish work, 9000lb winch, a bunch of square tube steel poorly fabricated into bumpers and rocker guards, hand throttle, removable cup holder, relocated ECU, trimmed wheel wells, dual TC reduction units, Mike Huckabee bumper sticker, CB, onboard air compressor and welder, and front round headlights and grille stolen from an '80 pickup. Frightens Al Gore, hauls much cargo, yet still gets a sensible 22mpg.

The guy standing in front of it is a real jerk, by the way.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...etsept0718.jpg
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #114
Wrangler

LOL! I love it. And I love the picture, too. Thanks for making my night, Kevin. :)
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #115
Regular Crew

I had a 2005 VW GTI but sold it because it started to get to small, and bought a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with 130,000 miles on the OD. So now I have tons of room, 4x4, large roof rack and poor mileage :) haha.

heres a photo with the roof rack loaded and the entire back full, after that trip i rebuilt the rear springs.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/...f3e2ab2685.jpg

Actually here is a better photo.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/...2e0fdf6415.jpg
Max Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #116
Regular Crew

I drive a 2005 Nissan Terrano (called Terrance)

and a 1972 Series 3 Landrover (called Big Ron)

and a 1979 Mini Clubman Estate (called Missy)

and a 1989 Mini Saloon (called Mervyn)

It's a nice balance between them, 55 mpg from the Clubman Estate, speed from the Mini Saloon, real off road and bad weather work from the Landy and long distance comfort with lot's of gear in the Nissan.

The great thing is the 3 classic cars are rising in value, are cheap to insure, cheap for me to mend and the Landrover even is free of car tax in the UK :-)
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #117
New Boot

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with only 58k. i want to see how long i can keep it, besides I don't see anythingout there i would just LOVE to have.
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #118
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wilson View Post
Yea fuel costs certainly hurt now-a-days. H1 ~ 12mpg; Viper ~ 10mpg; Kenworth ~ 5.5mpg My daughter drives a mini-cooper and it is amazing how far it goes on a tank of gas. Certainly makes me jealous.

Bill
You could swap that Viper for a Corvette Z06 and double your gas mileage and triple your cargo space... :)
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #119
Wrangler

what???

Did I hear someone say Z06? Yum!!! :)
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #120
Regular Crew

With everything in my large backpack I ride either my Kawasaki Vulcan 500, or my Sonic 50cc scooter. Not only do I get great mpg (90mpg for the scooter), but I can park almost anywhere and fit through the gaps in a traffic jam to get to my destination on time. :-)
James McBoyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home