Seating arrangement for editing. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old December 7th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Seating arrangement for editing.

Hey,
Im just after returning to the business after a few years out.
Ive been so caught up in what gear to buy, what equipment suits me best etc.
The one area i completely overlooked is desks, chairs etc.
My back is now twinging away here.
I know i need to change seating and my general environment for editing in.

Im just wondering what conditions ye long termers are working under.
Im using an old crt monitor and i reckon that might not be helping.
My chair is a small swivel type one and i find myself twisted slightly while working (physically, not mentally!).

Did ye pay big money for comfort while editing?
Id be interested in knowing more about yere setup.

Between shooting and editing im noticing a deterioration in my backs condition. Any avice on minimising this problem?

Probably an unlikely topic but Im sure some of ye have opinions on it.

thanks,
Ger
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Follow basic tips about seating for PC use...correct hight of desk/chair and monitor(s) etc. Lots and lots of stuff on the web about good posture for PC workstations etc.

I would also add..... get up and walk around at least once an hour for 5 minutes. I usually make a cup of tea! This is not only good for your back but also for your eyes as you need to focus on something other than a video clip about the size of a postage stamp that's about 3 ft in front of you and focussing on near and far distance helps relieve eye fatigue.
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You should be facing the keyboard and monitor straight ahead. If any heavily used monitor or device forces you to look or reach over too often you'll need to re-arrange things.

Feet should be flat on the floor. Thighs and forearms level. Mouse and keyboard should be directly under your hands when your elbows are at your side. You shouldn't have to reach for these things at all.

You shouldn't be looking up all the time. Sit, relax and close your eyes. When you open your eyes, where are you looking? If it's not at the middle of your primary monitor you'll have to adjust the height and angle.

The chair I got was a surplus office chair from a company that went out of business. My wife got it for $20. It has a high back which provides lots of support if I want to lean back for a while. Firm cushion on the seat pan.
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Wrangler

I'm using a standup editing desk with a saddle stool. I have the desk raised to a height that I have to stand up straight to use it properly, and the main monitor is right at my eye level. Keeps me in good posture. I can hop up on the saddle stool if I get tired of standing.

EDIT: I also have my preview monitor above my main monitor, so instead of constantly swiveling my neck, I just have to raise my eyes. That's the old geezer way of doing it.
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks for yere replies and advice.
Michael you have me intersted in editing standing/ sitting.
its something im definately going to look into further.

Im not an old geezer but it wont take long if i keep going the way im going.

ger
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

desk height is semi critical - I've got a custom one I built with file cabinets for storage and a looooong destop for two stations and a printing/scanning area in the middle. I just adjust the chair as needed for height, as it sits a bit higher than a "normal" desk

The CHAIR is the key point in my book - it needs to be MAJOR comfortable, high back preferred (as mentioned you can lean back, I like to work that way myself with a shuttle on one arm, mouse on the other - hardly ever touch the kbd when editing.

A good chair is like a good pair of shoes or a bed - you're going to be in that thing a lot, it should "fit" well (not too well if you're prone to nodding off <wink>). And it should help your back feel better if you get the right one - the "wrong" chair can put you in a world of hurt.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Major Player

My desk is 29". I agree the chair is most important. My favorite chairs are old steel office chairs with armrests from the 1960's and 1970's. I find them at yard sales or at used or antique furniture businesses. I've never paid more than $5.00 US for one.

Add a wrist rest to elevate my wrist to the top of my mouse. The combination made carpal tunnel issues go away.
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Ger, it seems like a tangent from the question, but my best advice for your back is to sign up for a Yoga class. It works wonders, my back is slowly straightening itself out, used to be fairly hunched all the time. It also help you feel more energized and awake. Just be ready for a few weeks of adjusting to having a corrected spine...its weird at first but always for the better
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Trustee

Chairs & Looking room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
The CHAIR is the key point in my book - it needs to be MAJOR comfortable
I'd like to second that with passion.

One of the wisest investments I made was in a properly fitting Aeron chair. Not a lookalike, not a cheap version, the full-on Aeron (size C for me).

It's been very kind to me, as I've done silly things like a straight 8 hours without getting up, hauling up disk drives from the floor whilst reaching back and to the side from my chair.

I've got a couple of clients that I have to politely refuse to use their edit suite as they're so uncomfortable. Bad seats, tall keyboards and monitors that are too high and too far away.

OTOH, a trick that works for me is to ensure your monitor's not hard up against a wall. Have it with some texture at least a few feet away from it so your eyes get some re-focus/long-distance rest intermittently.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ger,

A lot of editing suites that I have seen have inappropriate lighting conditions. Lighting sources should not be visible within your line of vision i.e. they should be bounced sources and not too high a level. Daylight is good as tungsten will alter your perception of colour. The walls which you are facing when you are doing editing should be a dull colour such as mid-grey.....obvious saturated colours will again affect your colour sense.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home