Africa trip: What do I carry on? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old January 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #16
Major Player

Well, you're supposed to. Check out the thread in this section for some exhaustive info but basically:

1. No lithium-ion batteries in checked luggage, unless they are installed in the device they power. It's recommended you take action to prevent accidental power-ups for those devices.

2. There is a 100-watt hour apiece limit for the batteries you bring on board..that's about the size of an 80S or 10S IDX brick. Some of the bigger bricks like the monster AB bricks may be too large. If you stay under the limit, you can pack as many of those in carry-on as you want, but they must be wrapped individually, or have their contacts covered.

3. If you have larger bricks, you can bring up to 2 of them in addition to the smaller batteries. There's a total limit of grams of lithium allowed in these larger batteries, but I'm too lazy to go look it up.

If you're using the type of batteries that normally snap into your Canon...you should be just fine carrying them on.

Most of us haven't had much of a problem with the TSA folks over this yet, but it would truly suck to arrive in Africa and find that the TSA X-ray machine guy pulled all your batteries out of the Pelican case in Sacramento!!
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #17
Major Player

Wow thanks Bill! I am only using the regular Canon batteries- 3 BP-945 Sized and 3 smaller sized Canon. I am going to protect each individually and pack them in my photo trekker that I will carry on. They all have the plastic cover with a rubber band around each one to hold it on. 2 of those batteries will be in the cameras, so I will have 4 extras in the case. I think that is the best scenario, so thanks for the heads up!
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #18
Major Player

Bill, what about taking a big pack of Duracell 9 volts and AA's in original unopened packages? Can I check those you think?
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #19
Major Player

Don't see why not, as long as they're regular, non-lithium batteries!

It's always a good idea to keep the 9V batteries from metal contact, but I don't believe they go as incendiary as the L-ion batteries can.

How are you recharging in the field?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #20
Major Player

Yes I am. Why do you ask?
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #21
Trustee

Larry, I imagine you are taking two voltage adapters for you chargers. I strongly suggest you also pack a car charger and, a small, cheap electric appliance like a small hair drier to test your current BEFORE you plug your charger in. Thank God I did this in africa. The hotel I stayed in (one of the best in Nirobi) fried the hair drier, even with a regulator. Good thing it was NOT my charger. Also, cut the leg off an old pair of pants (or take a pillow case) and use this to stuff your cam into while on the road, it really helps prevent dust from getting into your equipment. Another great item is a small bean bag to rest the cam on while videoing from a vehical. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #22
Major Player

Bob,
I am taking the voltage adapters (not the converters) as the canon/lenmar charging bricks can handle 240v. I've tried this when I went to South America and that method worked good. For the cameras, I will have Porta Brace rain slickers on both for added protection against dust. Your idea of the pillow case was a great idea. I will consider the bean bag for traveling shots on a car. Another great idea Bob, thanks.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #23
Regular Crew

seems like you prepared well. I second the bean bag, I use them all the time.

The one thing that may fail you is Air Morocco, as they are the worst for canceling flights! I never fail to see half the flight cancelled on the boards. Was in gabon, so may be different.

For anyone travelling to Africa, it is worth it to pay extra to have a direct luggage check through, and to fly with the Majors. There are several really good African carriers like South Africa, Ethiopian, and despite having a crash recently Kenyan Airways (not because they sponsor my series either) They fly regular routes and have modern fleets that have fewer problems. I have to fly Air Canada to get the check through, and I hate them!! I always enjoy my K.A. flights. Air France, BA, Virgin and KLM all have routes to Africa.

Good luck!!

Michael
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
When traveling abroad I always bring a 12v power inverter (cigarette lighter end) with for charging. You can't count on the grid staying up everywhere we go but drivers will ALWAYS it seems keep the cigarette lighter functioning. A great back up for charging cells.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM   #25
Major Player

What's the job?

Hi Larry,

Maybe you are back by now, but what was the gig you were packing for? I travel a lot - just got back from Indonesia and Cambodia, and I am always interested what other people do.

Incidentally, I have carry three NP970's in a STRUT bag for a Z1 with a mattebox. Bag fits in the overhead perfectly. Also carry two shot guns, radio mics, a two small Litepanels digital lights, small beanbag and tools. French Flag small reflector and one extra mic cable and one small square digital flashlight that won't roll downhill. And I always, always take the camera manual. It all seems to fit. I carry a second camera in a Tarmac backpack; this trip it was a Sony A1 which came in very handy tight spaces. I pack a charger that services both cameras and a WA lens. Tripod goes in the baggage hold with one big duffle. If I get separated, I am still in business.

Regards,

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home