How does 40% deposit work on Carnet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old May 31st, 2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Major Player

How does 40% deposit work on Carnet?

Hey guys,

I am about to do a trip to Melbourne, Nice, and London, and need to get Carnet for my gear. I'm wondering how the 40% deposit works, though. Does this really mean I need a bond or cashiers check for 40% of the value of my gear? That is going to be about $25,000 in my case. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

Thanks!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

"As the National Guaranteeing Association, USCIB is required to take security, usually 40% of shipment value, to cover any customs claim that might result from a misused Carnet. Acceptable forms of security are certified check or surety bond. Cash deposits are returned in full and surety bonds are terminated upon Carnet cancellation."

Seems pretty clear that it's indeed 40% of the value of the equipment. If I were you I'd certainly look into the surety bond option.

I've never gotten one myself but have received goods that came into the US on a carnet. It was actually sort of a hassle dealing with the specifics of how to use it and how to return the goods, but I think this was because they were shipped by air freight and getting the paperwork from the customs brokers/shipping companies was sort of complicated as they have very specific and arcane policies about to whom they will release the paperwork and the physical carnet itself. As an "amateur" importer/exporter it was pretty confusing

I think if you're "hand carrying" the equipment life will be simpler as you'll be the original carnet holder.

In any case, give the USCIB folks a call and explain what you're trying to do and ask their advice. People tell me that they're easy to deal with.

Last edited by Jim Andrada; June 1st, 2008 at 01:36 AM.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Major Player

USCIB is the way to go. My carnet had about a $100K of gear on it, and I did the surety bond for about $900, as I recall. It's good for at least a year. Kind of a hassle always having to go thru customs, but FAR less of a hassle than getting zinged by an over-zealous customs official.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Bill and Jim for the words of advice! I'll report back if I have any trouble, but it sounds pretty straightforward.

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home