DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   What chair do you use to sit on for editing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/127570-what-chair-do-you-use-sit-editing.html)

Tim Sargent August 7th, 2008 06:56 AM

What chair do you use to sit on for editing?

I need to find something thats comfy and going to support my posture, but im not sure what to get. My current office chairs isnt great, so what do you guys use?

Thanks

Jeff Harper August 7th, 2008 07:04 AM

I just bought an inexpensive chair at an office supply house...$100. How I regret it.

My previous chari was stained and old, but it cost $400 and was SO comfortable.

Here's the one I wish I had bought....

http://ergonomic-chairs.officechairs...r-CH02741.aspx

Martin Mayer August 7th, 2008 07:08 AM

Personally, I found it a COMPLETE MISTAKE to use an "executive" office chair with castors, tilt and swivel facilities - as you have to "hold" your posture against it (for hours, of course, when editing): you can't lean into it for support.

I was getting back ache and thigh aches until I changed it for a "fixed chair" - i.e. NO castors, NO sprung tilt, NO swivel.

It needs padding, sure, and arms, but NOT movement.

Tim Sargent August 7th, 2008 07:22 AM

Thats what Im finding. I have a nice padded chair, swivel on castors etc.
Find that prolonged use causes back problems, a fixed chair plain and simple/wooden - seems to work better.

Jeff Harper August 7th, 2008 07:31 AM

You can't beat going to an office furniture store and trying out a few different ones.

I have had a fixed chair, spent the last year in it prior to buying the new one. I hated it, but I wouldn't characterize buying one as a mistake if it works for you. The chair I linked to is a task chair, by the way. Executive chairs tend to be larger and plusher, and I agree are not so good, for me anyway. For a person that is very tall and/or large, say 200 lbs, or more, an exective chair might be perfect.

I personally like to have movement, but prefer the chair to have adjustable tension settings, which will make it more expensive. I personally believe, chairs, like editing programs etc, are a matter of preference.

I move constantly even while sitting, as I am just that way, and need something to allow me to stretch and lay back to stretch, as I might spend up to 24 hours, sometime more, in a sitting.

Chris Hurd August 7th, 2008 08:00 AM

Moved from What Happens In Vegas to Home, Away From Home.

Mike Kujbida August 7th, 2008 08:35 AM

If money is no object, the Aeron chair has a great reputation.
Pricing and accessories info is in a PDF at the top of this page.

Perrone Ford August 7th, 2008 09:50 AM

I've used an Aeron chair for many years. Maybe 8 years now. Works great, and I wouldn't use anything else.

Michael Wisniewski August 7th, 2008 10:04 AM

Another vote for the Aeron, a very, very good chair. For my standup editing station, I use a saddle stool. Recently added a small step stool underneath to stretch and rest my feet.

Bill Busby August 7th, 2008 05:37 PM

yet another vote for a Herman Miller Aeron!

Benjamin Hill August 7th, 2008 07:17 PM

Another vote for the Herman Miller Aeron, which I used for 2 years, as well as the Steelcase Think chair which is compact but comfortable. Both good task chairs in my experience

Eric Stemen August 7th, 2008 10:11 PM

The Aeron chair is really good.
I also like the chair I've been using for the past 5 years really well also(it's a Global).

I didn't use this retailer, but there description is good.
http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewprod...LB32173NBKIM11

I waited two years when working at Office Depot for it to go on clearance for $200.

Adam Levins August 19th, 2008 02:02 PM

Another option is to stand up while editing. I have a high desk that I have adjusted to the height of an old Steinbeck I alternate between standing and sitting. I have 2 chairs one is like a bar stool and the other is a kneeling chair that is extra high.

Richard Gooderick August 20th, 2008 01:48 AM

I went out and bought one of these 3 years ago when I started editing and am really pleased with it.

IKEA | Work chairs | Adjustable chairs | JOAKIM | Swivel chair

The seat back locks in the upright position but you can also unlock it - in which case the back tilts backwards and the seat base slides forward so that I am almost lying down if I put my feet on the table. I use that mode a lot when I am watching what I am editing.

I like to move around a lot so a fixed chair would not suit.

And it's firm, not soft. I prefer that.

I expect the ideal chair is largely a matter of personal preference. This one works for me but maybe not for you.

Tim Dashwood August 22nd, 2008 09:16 PM

I've tried many different chairs over the years but have taken a note from Walter Murch and switched to just standing up and using a tall table (and sit on a barstool occasionally.) I've been editing this way for over a year now and I find I'm more focused, I take WAAAAY more breaks and my overall productivity has increased.
Just make sure you have a soft piece of carpet to stand on and good shoes for all those hours per day.