Post pics of your setup - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #256
Major Player

ok, well, i have a homemade desk of a 30x80 door which i sanded and stained myself, electrical conduit for the legs, needed just a huge surface to spread stuff out, read for school, write, etc macbook pro, frankenstein pc running os x, xp, linux, synergy (BEST APP EVER - lets me share mouse and keyboard from pc across to laptop, like a 3rd screen) wacom intos 3, onkyo 5.1 in the room, IKEA Klippan divides the room, homemade 93" screen for projector, xbox 360, all of it links together, can browse web from couch with wireless keyboard etc, can edit and watch playback on big screen, etc, art scattered about the place, didnt want to capture all that, but it adds a nice feel, track lighting to the left of the desk to light up photos above the bar
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your setup-img_0326.jpg   Post pics of your setup-img_0327.jpg  

Post pics of your setup-img_0328.jpg   Post pics of your setup-img_0329.jpg  

Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #257
Trustee

Excessive for a home studio, but byebye commercial rent!

We've been kicking around the idea of renting out our Studio and Guest House for the Superbowl, so I took some pics. Since they included my studio, I thought I'd post one here.

I'm running Final Cut Pro on a Quad with 2Tb of storage. The Cinema display handles desktop duties while a Sony broadcast monitor checks video. The Sony High-Def LCD is for client playback and I can display the timeline or desktop via VGA into the LCD when needed.

The studio is housed in a converted a hay barn behind our property. The studio is about 1500 sq ft with a separate control room (the photo here) and an insert stage with a 22X30 foot shooting area (part of which you can see through the soundproof window.)

If anyone wants to see more, there's more studio coverage at
http://gallery.mac.com/davisbill/100003

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your setup-control-room-interior.jpg  
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #258
Major Player

You planning on putting NBC out of business!
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #259
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
You planning on putting NBC out of business!
Snort.

Nope - I just wanted to contribute less to the commercial real estate industry and more to my own bottom line. For six years I worked out of commercial space and had the office rent receipts to prove it. Then I realized that I could take that same money and put it into a home studio and build equity rather than sharing my profit with a landlord. Plus a home studio makes my whole life easier. Simple as that.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #260
Major Player

Here is mine. I just moved into a new apartment here in RVA and set this up a month ago. Got my camera package finally completed last week too.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your setup-desk.jpg   Post pics of your setup-camera.jpg  

Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #261
Major Player

Bill, can I come live with you? Hahaha!

Really nice setups guys'!
~Gabriel
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #262
New Boot

I am just trying to figure out why, and when, and even how you could ever need 6 monitors. That Blows my mind. I have one 24" and it is great, I could probably use one more smaller screen, maybe a 20" or so, but 6 different screens. How could you even make your computer compatible with that many, is there a special card you have to buy? I just can't see how there is a usage for that many. Please explain.

Countysky
Satellite Internet Service
Jerry Gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #263
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
Here is mine. I just moved into a new apartment here in RVA and set this up a month ago. Got my camera package finally completed last week too.
Hey Bennis, do you like that chair? I've been looking around.
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #264
Major Player

I LOVE it. There have been many a 8 hour day spent in that chair and I never get uncomfortable. As it turns out, I didn't pay the $500 or so that it goes for, I managed to snag one for free, but now that I have used it, I wouldn't think twice about spending that much on this chair.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #265
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Gree View Post
I am just trying to figure out why, and when, and even how you could ever need 6 monitors. That Blows my mind. I have one 24" and it is great, I could probably use one more smaller screen, maybe a 20" or so, but 6 different screens. How could you even make your computer compatible with that many, is there a special card you have to buy? I just can't see how there is a usage for that many. Please explain.

Countysky
Satellite Internet Service
Jerry,

Th need for dedicated screens in a real video studio situation just seem to expand and expand.

For example, in my studio it starts off with the computer editing screen. The central focus for all work. Next is a dedicated VIDEO monitor - that's where you'll judge the video output. It's a 4x3 standard NTSC monitor for creating regular TV pictures. Next is a BIG 16x9 LCD monitor. It's for monitoring widescreen TV content in both SD and HD resolutions and for allowing my clients to see programming without looking over my shoulder or squinting from the client couch.

That's 3 right there. Now if you're in a studio situation and you want to shoot multiple cameras, you really need to have dedicated monitors for each camera if you're going to be able to switch between them live. So if you're running 3 cameras, you need 3 display screens to show them - and suddenly your up to 6 screens. What about a studio "program" monitor so everyone can monitor what's going "to tape" - now we're up to 7. And it makes life easier if the camera operators have their own monitors at the camera positions - add 3 more and we're up to 10.

Plus in my studio there's a dedicated monitor in the dub rack, two field monitors in travel cases, plus an LCD monitor I use with my jib arm.

That's 14 monitor screens in the building, and probably a few more hiding around somewhere.

Like I said, it's EASY to grow monitors in any studio situation!
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #266
Regular Crew

Just re-arranged this room to give it more of a editing room-esque look. The desks were on opposite sides of the room for a while but my dad and I made my trip across the room to the other workstation a lot shorter yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your setup-s6300990.jpg   Post pics of your setup-s6300991.jpg  

Post pics of your setup-s6300992.jpg   Post pics of your setup-s6300993.jpg  

Post pics of your setup-s6300994.jpg   Post pics of your setup-s6300995.jpg  

Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #267
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
I LOVE it. There have been many a 8 hour day spent in that chair and I never get uncomfortable. As it turns out, I didn't pay the $500 or so that it goes for, I managed to snag one for free, but now that I have used it, I wouldn't think twice about spending that much on this chair.
Who makes it?
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #268
Major Player

Hey folks, heres a few pics of my studio that i just recently completed building, i keep it blacked out for the projector so the camera struggled a bit in the low light. It has an Apple G5 quadcore running FCP studio 5, soundproofed ADR booth plugged into a 16 track phonic helix board then into the mac via firewire.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ybto1dqltj.jpg
http://www.box.net/shared/static/a7f7obasu4.jpg
http://www.box.net/shared/static/6jh3hz20v3.jpg

cheers
Andy.
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #269
Major Player

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/station.jpg

Haha... Most of that stuff was free... 18 without a job...

Edit on the 24", Preview on the 17"
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #270
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Who makes it?
Herman Miller
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home