Business in Mexico at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old December 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Tourist

Business in Mexico

If a person lives in Mexico, but buys equipment in the United States, does he have to pay a tariff every time he passes across the border with his equipment? Does anyone know how this works or ever had experience with this?
thanks
Leroy
Leroy Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Leroy, I live in the north of Mexico. You don't have to pay taxes for personal items, like camcorders, photo cameras, laptops, etc. If you are talking about more professional equipment like high end video cameras, lighting kits, etc. Then you only pay taxes if the equipment is going to stay in Mexico, you don't have to pay anything if you are taking the equipment back to the US. If you are going to keep the equipment in Mexico but plan to travel to the US sometimes, then you only pay taxes the first time, and every other time that you cross the border you show your receipts and that's it. If you need more info about this send me a personal message. Expect to pay 15% of tax. Some exceptions apply, chinese items have higher taxes sometimes.
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Let´s see: A Mexican buys some professional gear in the USA and brings it to Mexico. Once he arrive to Mexico´s port of entry he will need to pay custom taxes for the equipment depending on the monetary ammount he invested and the country of origin of such equipment. (depending on those two factors he may or may not need to use a customs broker service) Once the equipment is legally imported to Mexico, it can travel back and forth without any hassle as long as the customs documents travel with the equipment.

I will be more worried if this Mexican person crosses the border to the USA with profesional gear. He will be asked about his intentions entering the country. If he is going to work without a permit he may risk his tourist visa and be banned for entering the USA again.

Anyway, I have friends in Monterrey who travel a couple times a month to Texas to tape weddings and quinceañeras without any kind of problem. But they know they are doing things the wrong way.

Good luck
Alex Pineyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #4
Tourist

pro camcorder to mexico

i went through mexico's airport security without paying any taxes for my dvx100b that i recently bought in the US...they didnt tell me anything and i didnt ask about tax issues ;)
just act like a normal person and they wont give u a hard time...mexicans r good people haha
Bruno Oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Major Player

I've lived in Mexico for 20 years , and central america for 5 years before . I've brought in every kind of equipment possible. Mexico has a list of importable items that you can get at any entry point or from any mexican consulate. Everyone is allowed to bring in one video camera , one still photo camera , one notebook computer. I've crossed with my z1 w/o paying any customs but I had to pay the 17% when I brought my mac g5 desktop , or my numerous lcds . I've had friends bring in multiple photography cameras w/o any problems but thru airport entries . You used to be able to write fake receipts for expensive items and the mexican aduana wouldn't really know the value . For example I brought in a $4000 projector and said it cost $250 , but that was years ago . Now at laredo anyway , the aduaneros have a stack of catalogs for every imaginable electronic product . Don't try to forge a fake receipt these days . If you get caught , they can charge you 4 times the value , which they assess , or simply confiscate the item . That's how the aduana keep themselves in new automobiles . You laugh , but this is true . I used to be involved with people who import daily and they have lost cars this way. The custom agent said to my friend one day , " I like your car and it's going to be mine " , and in two weeks it was !
Stay inside the rules and there will be no problem. It also helps if you speak spanish and act like you know what you're doing.
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home