DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Video equipment store - Shanghai? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/139737-video-equipment-store-shanghai.html)

Michael Wisniewski December 16th, 2008 03:01 AM

Video equipment store - Shanghai?

Can anyone recommend a video equipment store in Shanghai? One that stocks higher end prosumer camcorders and accessories? I need another HDV camcorder with manual controls. I'm in the French Quarter/Nanjing road.

Just wanna avoid getting Shanghai'd ... heh, heh.

Eugene Presley December 16th, 2008 11:40 AM

Interesting question. Nobody?

Noel Lising December 16th, 2008 11:52 AM

Hi there,

Try SIM VIDEO (just google them), I think they have set-up shop in China.

Mike Calla December 16th, 2008 10:47 PM

Sim Video is only in Beijing.

Nothing specific that i know of in Shanghai for pro-video, sigh, but at 288 Luban rd. at Xietu rd (north west corner, you can't miss it) you'll find quite a large pro photo market building. You'll find some basic video gear but it depends. You'll find sticks, lights, tape stock, filters, lots of prosumer cams. Don't expect software or pci cards!

There are a few stores that sell certain brands but i've never been to any of them and usually purchase items online.

If anyone can tell me where there is a pro-video store in Shanghai, i'll buy you dinner...if you live in here:)

Sean Seah December 16th, 2008 11:41 PM

Mike is right. He is refering to StarLight PHotography City (Xing Guang). 4 levels of stuff there. Rip off Pelican cases to Gary Fong's Whaletail. Not much on videography equipment thou. Nanjing Rd is not too far from there. Take the subway to Caobao Road Station n hop onto a cab.

Michael Wisniewski December 18th, 2008 10:05 PM

Thanks that was a good lead, got a quick education shopping for gear in Shanghai. Here's what happened, I did not find a "prosumer" video store or anything like that. But it turns out that most of the Sony resellers have assorted stock of FX7s, Z1s, and FX1000s, which is what I eventually got. Not sure about any type of warranty, but I didn't care as the job more than paid for the camera and then some.

I didn't get the camera right away because I checked out several recommended "tech malls" and eventually ended up at CyberMart. It's more of a computer mall, but there was a Sony reseller there who had the FX1000 in stock. I can't remember the address, but it's down the street from the Times Square mall. Had to ask to make sure they got the NTSC version, which took them awhile to find. The nice thing about shopping in Shanghai, if the store you're in doesn't have an item, they almost always know who does, and will go and get it for you. I grew up in Asia so aggressive bargaining is par for the course, but I had to send my American companions out of the store as they were really appalled until the shop owner relented and agreed to the requested price.

Our one nightmare was the 800 firewire ports on our new Macbook Pros, unfortunately we had inadvertently packed the wrong cables. We started looking for an 800 to 4-pin/400 cable. No go, most of the computer stores don't even have regular 800 firewire cables. After cursing Apple and the 800 firewire port, we started looking for other solutions. Our next try was to buy several firewire connector adapters, but that was a no go either. The Macbook's could not detect the camcorders.

We tried looking for a firewire hub. Once again, no go. Nobody had a firewire hub, they could get it but had to order it. Quite amazing considering the size of the Shanghai tech malls. We also had similar success with one of our guys in the Philippines looking for the same thing.

Our last try was to try and find a firewire PC ExpressCard/34. After waiting 30 minutes, our sales guy finally found one. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is, but it works and that's all I care about. Moral of the story if you're going to Asia with an editing laptop, make sure you bring a firewire card that supports 6-pin or 4-pin firewire ports, as the 9-pin/800 cables are extremely hard to come by.

Mike Calla December 19th, 2008 11:22 PM

Yep, Shanghai is definitely not a pay-sticker-price place. BUT I've been here for many years, and over time I've found certain stores and shop owners where i never bargain anymore.

If they gain my trust, the after sales service is good, and the price is good i never bargain anymore.

I have a "guy" at the aforementioned photo market building, he's my go to guy. I was inquiring about a much needed B-cam, a Sony HVR-A1. He quoted me a price of $1800USD. In the US this camera is listed for (at some places) $2600USD, in Canada its listed for $2100CAD. I inquired at other stores in Shanghai where i'm not known... the quotes were much, much higher!

Here in China relationships go a long way:) It may take some time to build them but its definitely worth it - I hate bargaining!