DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Argentina customs/filming permits? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/140077-argentina-customs-filming-permits.html)

Spike Spiegel December 21st, 2008 01:48 PM

Argentina customs/filming permits?

As title states, are filming permits required in Argentina (shooting in Buenos Aires, San Antonio De Areco) and Patagonia area...

And what are the air port customs like? Is it acceptable to show them a list of our gear and have them sign off on it?

Any advice appreciated.

C.S. Michael January 22nd, 2009 03:04 PM

Bump. I have the same question. I'm planning a visit in February and am debating whether to bring the EX1 or go stealth with the HV20.

Chris Soucy January 23rd, 2009 12:41 AM

Hi.....

Best I can do:

Check with their US based Consulates/ Embassies and see what they say.

At least you'll get the "official" position, tho' whether that is reflected in practice is another thing altogether.

Hint (and don't tell anybody or they'll all be doing it)...........

Wear a "I voted for BO" tee shirt (or similar wording) when you enter the country, will go a long way, way down South.

No, that's not a joke, and no, it ain't a political statement, just a political fact.

Link:

Home | Embassy of Argentina, Washington, DC

Hope you have a good, productive and enjoyable trip.

CS

Boyd Ostroff January 23rd, 2009 04:21 PM

I worked in Argentina (at Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires) doing video a few years ago. All our shooting was indoors, so I can't offer much insight about working out in public except that I saw a lot of people with video cameras shooting things (XL2's, DVX-100's, FX-1's).

I brought my Z1, Manfrotto tripod, wide adaptor lens, powerbook, several external hard drives and other stuff. Going through customs they had absolutely no interest whatsoever in these. One person asked if I was a photographer and I said yes. That seemed to satisfy him. They only took a quick peek in my suitcases. The thing which interested them the most was my cellphone (Samsung, from Verizon) which wouldn't even work there.

Meanwhile, the person in front of me was a native returning home and they gave her no end of grief, made her open every package and box she was bringing in, dug through all her luggage... she was in tears.

Your mileage may vary, but for me entering and leaving the country was very straightforward and everyone was very nice.

C.S. Michael January 23rd, 2009 08:46 PM

Thanks for your input, guys... Since making my post I have corresponded with an Argentinean filmmaker. I asked specifically about filming in public places, etc. Here's an excerpt of her advice:

"The police shouldn't be a problem unless you block traffic. Worst case scenario, a small bribe (50 pesos) should do the trick. Some places you might be told that you canīt film, such as some museums, but they are rare.

Your biggest problem will be theft--items being stolen when you are not present or being snatched from you. Laptops are commonly stolen. I suggest designing bags to protect these items that do not look like camera bags or laptop bags. (Consider make up cases, backpacks, tool boxes, etc).

Also, you might want to consider hiring a local as "security"--not an actual security guard, but someone who can keep an eye on things and help with bags, etc. A strong young man with some film experience would be ideal if you plan to film in public places."

So, it looks like I'll be bringing the HV20s and leaving the Porta Brace bags at home...