Off to Malaysia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Off to Malaysia

I'm getting ready to move to Malaysia for a 2 year job assignment. No, video isn't my day job. I'm trying to research good places to obtain equipment (video and computer) preferably in Penang, but KL would do if not. How's the mail order option there??? Any good online stores that you can relie on??? Or do you just order from the states and wait forever and hope some customs agent isn't in the mood for a new camcorder.

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Mark. U will be better off working with Expandore. They are located in Singapore and ships a lot of stuff to Malaysia. Otherwise BH photo shouldnt have issues too since they deal internationally.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Sean. I've delt with BH before (state side), I didn't know they handled international as well... good to know. Expandore looks interesting. Can you point me to a good computer shop in S'pore that ships to Malaysia???

Mark
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Singapore is most likely your best bet, but...

...don't bother with mail order; it's not like mail ordering in the US, what with customs duty , VAT and other hassles.

Here's are three firms I consider good prospects as they all cater to the professional video community and were very responsive to my queries about the Sony PMW-EX3:

Anthony Choo - 朱 朝 民
L S V Enterprise Pte Ltd
629 Aljunied Road #08-08
Cititech Industrial Building, Singapore 389838
Main: +65 6305-7480 Fax: +65 6744-3193
DID: +65 6305-7488 Mobile: +65 9684-7539
Email: anthony@lsv.com.sg Skype/Yahoo/MSN: bomien
"We can offer you at USD7,500 each subject to 7% GST which you can claim back once you leave Singapore."

Matthias Chan.
GREENTOWN AUDIO VIDEO
Authorised Re-seller for SONY Broadcast & Professional Equipment
83 EAST COAST ROAD,
SINGAPORE 428786
TEL: 6348 9093
FAX: 6348 9986
Greentown's prices seem high to me.

Joe Sng
Expandore Electronics Pte Ltd
705 Sims Drive #05-12A Shun Li Industrial Complex, Singapore 387384
( Office: +65 6841-2889 ( Fax: +65 6841-0455
Business Hours: GMT +8 / Mon-Fri (9am-6pm)
P.S. Have you been to the largest Professional Audio/Video superstore in Asia yet? If you haven't, visit : Expandore Web site - Professional* Audio and Video Equipment Supplier Open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

Beats B&H Photo Video pricing: "Our current selling price for the: Sony PMW-EX3 is US$7,800.00 each
* Validity of offer: 07 working days
* Ready Stock till sold
* Ex-warehouse Singapore
* Promotion with 1x Sony 8GB SxS Card & 1x Sony ECM-678 Professional Shotgun microphone free."
* Firmware version: V1.02_0078

Probably, the best thing for you to do is travel to Singapore yourself and don't bother with mail ordering your gear.

Having been to Penang, it's extremely unlikely you'll find any pro shops there. I cannot speak about KL though.

LSV and Expandore (per someone else's coment here) are my recommendations.

Collis Davis
Manila, Philippines
Collis Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #5
New Boot

L S V Enterprise Pte Ltd - very good prices and cooperation - I bought my EX1 there with other stuffin at very good price.

Expandore has very vast choice online, quick email response but some of things they don't have at stock although it is on the website as available - they can usually import it in 10 days from ... USA (sic!).

Greentown is too expensive.

You've got loads of computer centres in Singapore, just have in mind not to buy just after entering it - try to reach top floors they usually have beter prices.

All the best for your projects,

P.S. Malaysia is inredibly beautiful - travel as much as you can!!
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #6
Trustee

Yes Daniel, you got the best guys of Singapore city here alr. LSV and Expandore. As for PC stuff, do not go via them. It is not cost effective. Cheaper for you to drop by Singapore. The budget airlines prob cost less than you sending the items to Penang. Not to mention you get a refund for the GST (VAT equivalent) at the airport.

You can make a order from those fellas above and drop by to pick them up. As for a PC, you can drop by Sim Lim Square FUWELL level 4 (Rochor Road) for a reasonable pricing. Be careful of the shops in Sim Lim Squ as some of them are known to rip off foreigners.

Good luck!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks... good suggestions all. I especially like the vat refund at the airport idea... hadn't thought of that.

Mark
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi.. I'm from Malaysia, based in KL area. A videographer as well. I do supply stuffs for Video / Photo / computers. Might be able to help you with your needs. Delivery within Malaysia is very affordable. Offering competitive pricing. Drop me a mail wilson@digitalshop.com.my
Wee Seng Tor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home