Office space studio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Office space studio

I welcome comments, suggestions, and cautions on this pre-planning for a project.

I am going to help some friends turn standard office space into a studio. Use will probably be limited primarily to seated talking heads, but I'm trying to build in flexibility. I don't have room dimensions yet; I'm guessing maybe 16 x26, carpeted, 8' drop ceiling (I know, I know). Don't know yet whether ceiling tiles can be removed for lighting height for standing subjects.

My initial thought is to design two opposite corners, on the diagonal, for max set depth and camera distance. One would be fabric greenscreen (already purchased), 8-10' wide, almost floor to ceiling; the other an office/library-look set. Both would probably share an easily moveable "desk", 4-5' wide, for one or two subjects. Alternatively, chairs and a low table, or something comparable, for interviews.

The idea would be to have both sets available readily, with some flexibilty in set and lighting, but also easy repeatability. Keeping the green screen up would help avoid wrinkles.

I'm considering flos (probably Cool Lights for cost reasons) for much of the lighting, to minimize heat, along with some used Lowels -- a Lowel Pro Light or two at 150W for backlighting, perhaps an Omni bounced and goboed for a key. Nothing elaborate, just enough to create a distinctive look on the library set, and depth for lighting backgrounds and talent separately. We may be able to put high CRI bulbs in selected existing ceiling fixtures (and remove bulbs in others) to boost ambient levels.

Getting the green screen evenly lit may be the most challenging part. Setting it so that its surface is perpendicular to the room diagonal is my thought.

I have several decades of still photography experience, including both interiors and portraiture, and perhaps 10 years of video lighting, though that has mostly been simple lighting in a tiny studio with about 6K on a grid, or conference stages in hotel ballrooms (with a lot more). Haven't worked with flos.

I may have only about 2 grand for lighting, initially, so I'll have to be strategic about purchases. I'll certainly resort to shop lights for the greenscreen where possible, and rely on techniques such as Walter Graff's for doing the most in set light-shaping with the least equipment. Clever guy, that Walter!

I suspect that we'll be looking to balance at low but adequate levels, keeping down heat but maintaining good blacks (i.e., little or no camera gain). The principal camera is a new approx. 4 grand HD Panasonic, I don't know the model and specs. If we shoot f2.8-4, I should think we can manage without major wattage.

Experience? Thoughts?
Philip Ulanowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Thread moved to Home, Away from Home -- a forum we set up specifically for this kind of topic.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Phil, I would suggest using that space as a temporary solution to see how working in a studio environment goes. I would buy equipment based on future needs and not specific for that space. I have a studio that is 25' X 40' of which half (13' X 40') is dedicated to production and the other half for storage and desk space. I feel like a sardine sometimes. Sometimes 40' isn't enough when a shallow DOF is needed. And greenscreen needs more distance as you need to get the talent at least 10-15 feet away from the screen, and then need room for the camera to get the proper frame.

Anyway, I have realized that there is never enough space, lighting, or great customers.

Good luck!
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Trustee

The low (8-foot) ceilings are the big obstacle. You'll want your light up high if at all possible to keep them out of the eyes of your talent.

Since it's a drop celing, you may be able to remove it and find several more feet of height.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks to both.
Ken, if you think your studio is cramped, try residential interiors sometime--a wall inevitable stands exactly where the camera needs to be. I'm well aware of the ceiling height issue. Again, this is for some friends who have no alternative space, but ongoing need to tape webcast/DVD material; this one will be at least quieter and roomier than what they're using now.
Philip Ulanowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've actually done some cool shooting in my living room which is more or less the same size as what you will be working with. I do have 10ft ceilings though. But that size really means just putting up a background and basic three point lighting with relatively stationary subjects.

By the way, if you want to do green screen you will want a hair/back light to separate the subject from the screen. That will be really hard with an 8' ceiling.
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm now shooting out of my basement, which has a very low drop celing. I removed a ceiling tile and inserte a cheap clamp-on light into the hole for use as a hair light. Not ideal, but not bad. I have dark hair so color temp doesn't even matter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home