travel case - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old November 22nd, 2003, 01:03 PM   #16

That looks like a nice case John.

I sold off all of my PortaBrace cases a year ago. I now use KATA cases, I just really like the design, functionality and pricepoint. They are so modular and user configurable and that is the type of flexibility I needed. I also like the "mid-tech' durable, soft-padded design which is a big plus when packing up the Honda Element with production gear - these cases do not scratch up the car's interior like some edgier hard cases will.

For travelling via airline, I usually use a Kata CCC-10 for most gigs if shooting with the XL1S. http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1 If I am renting a higher-end DVCam, I will usually ask the rental house to provide a soft case. I'm now looking at getting the larger KATA MCC-1 since I am shooting so much with larger, higher end cams these days http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=5&ProdLine=1.

I also have a KATA Panda which I love to use for my PowerBook and accessories, will also easily fit a handicam such as the GL2 or DVX100 and will quickly switch between a shoulder strap bag or a backpack with the hidden padded backpack straps. Great for gigs in the city. http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=5&ProdLine=1. I'm also very tempted to get the KATA CBP-2 camera backpack http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1

I also use a KATA MAZE-3 and MAZE-4 (with the Trolley system attached) for smaller lighting jobs
http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1
http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1. When I have to fly out all my lighting gear, I rely on my two Lowel MCSEM Multicases, http://www.lowel.com/download/Lowelhardcases2003.pdf which are huge hardcases with wheels - very handy to have when they are packed full and you need to move them around. I will usually pack my fresnels in a KATA MAZE-4 case in addition to my two Lowel kits.

I will usually have a member of the crew bring my Sony PVM-8045Q field monitor in a padded case on the plane as carry-on luggage. Never check a monitor on as check-in unless it is extremely well protected in an ATA hard case. I always personally carry on my camera gear.

The key to travelling with gear is to buy insurance at the gate (usually an additional $50 or so) which will protect you in case the airline mishandles your gear. However, if you are flying to a gig that will require a lot of gear, you are sometimes better off shipping your gear via FED EX or UPS Priority with insurance rather than checking on a plane. I typically pre-arrange to have the gear delivered to the hotel where I will be staying. It's much less of a headache at the plane terminals when you don't have to hassle with the gear. It also saves you the headaches of security having to go through your gear - they never do really put it back inside the case the way you originally packed it. I have found that the airlines have been really dropping the ball lately as far as properly handling luggage. If you are flying with gear to a gig in another country, all the rules are changed - you need to apck very efficiently and proactively carry thorough documentation (inventory list) of what eactly is in each case with serial numbers and replacement value. Getting a carnet is worth considering at this point http://www.atacarnet.com

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:28 PM   #17
Regular Crew

XL1/s Backpack

Forgive me for not starting a new thread because I know there are numerous others so I'll tag on the back of this active one.

At present I carry my XL1 set up with manual 16x lens and MA200 adapter in a Tamrac 2249 bag. That generally goes over one shoulder. After using the few additional pockets on the 2249, other equipment, mainly an assortment of Canon EF lenses, standard 16x lens, 3x lens and additional plate with support rods goes in a Lowpro Mini Trekker on my back. My Vinten Pro 5 tripod I carry over my other shoulder. Then there's the non photographc stuff like drink and food which sometimes just gets left in a coolbox in the car for my return. I suppose I could always carry a little less but I always like to be prepared for the unexpected so end up taking everything.

I film any kind of wildlife and can find myself walking miles and miles and all this uneven weight distribution does my back in sometimes so I'm looking for a backpack that's designed to carry the lot and give it excellent protection. Oh, and keep my back in one piece.

I've read the other threads and the larger lowepro bags seem quite good but at the moment the Kata CPB 3 has caught my eye with the additional outdoor kit you can attach to it. Anyone used this bag and what do you think of it?

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=5&ProdLine=1

On the downside the bigger bag you have the less likely you are going to get it on as carry on luggage which I think this Kata bag and the larger Lowepro bags fall into.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Gareth
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:39 PM   #18
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Pryor : Whatever you do, make sure you can pack and unpack easily because security will go over every item, and you will have to take the cameras out and turn them on--so make sure your batteries are charged.
-->>>

This is no longer the case in most airports. While it used to be true, most have adopted chemical sensing devices that can sniff out any exposives, They now swab whatever is in the top of your bag, put the swab in a testing machine, and 10 seconds later you are out of there. It's great, a huge time saver.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:37 PM   #19
Trustee

"This is no longer the case in most airports. While it used to be true, most have adopted chemical sensing devices that can sniff out any exposives, They now swab whatever is in the top of your bag, put the swab in a testing machine, and 10 seconds later you are out of there. It's great, a huge time saver."

Don't bet your house cat on that one. The technology requires nothing more than a swab of the zipper and the case opening. I've had an overzealous screener rip half my stuff apart anyway. I travel all of the time and it usually goes very smoothly but it can get rediculous. As a matter of fact the Vancouver Airport was one of the worst. It's like a crap shoot.

Toronto was pretty quick for a while then they decided to be more thorough.(usually when i'm running late) It's hit and miss. The easiest are the US airports. They are the most intimidating but the easiest so long as you follow the drill.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

"While it used to be true, most have adopted chemical sensing devices that can sniff out any exposives, "

From what a buddy says who was in EOD for over 20 years and was in on the R&D of the bomb sniffers, they simply DON'T work. Only dogs can reliably detect for explosives. The machines are a feel good measure rushed into service to appease the public. Kind of like the unarmed National Guard troops who patrolled the airports in California after 9/11. Halt!! or I'll, I'll,,,,,, beat you with my plastic Mattel M-16 and hope it doesn't break into little pieces.

Case in point, as we left the SCI convention in Reno last year almost everyone leaving out Sunday had gunpowder or black powder residue on them and their gun cases. No one I saw tested positive, and almost everyone in the counter lines had gun cases to ship.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:15 AM   #21
Wrangler

Brian, that's why I leave a Hustler in the top of my bag, they never search past it. I don't just buy it for the articles!

(cough) j/k

anyway...

Jesse, I know what you mean about appeasing the public. Still, it has to be somewhat more useful than having you turn on your gear to prove it works. That was a joke.

Brian, I know you travel alot more than me, but you have to admit, that most of the time its alot faster than it used to be. Especially if you are carrying a half dozen electronic devices.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:25 AM   #22
Regular Crew

"Brian, that's why I leave a Hustler in the top of my bag, they never search past it. I don't just buy it for the articles! "

I've found good ole dirty smelly socks or some holey underwear on the top of the bag seem to discourage the TSA searchers. 8^)

The threat really isn't from the passengers, the ramps are still so unsecure it's a joke. Add in the hundreds of IGLA shoulder launched missles like the one fired at an El Al jet in Africa and it gets real interesting.

The airport searches seem to be a crap shoot like mentioned above. My last trip thought St. Louis was no problemo. Trip before that the TSA oxygen wasters asked me if my rifle was loaded as he pointed it at his partner. They do tear apart bags and are not the most gentle with delicate gear nor do they repack the gear the way it came out.

Your honor, I choked him out for mangling my new camera. Think that will hold up in court?
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:48 PM   #23
Trustee

Dylan
It is better but you can't count on it. I was in a hurry last time out and guess what happened.

So far a ripping my bag apart . I just tell them that I will open the bag and show then anything they want. I've never had an argument.

If they try and separate me from any other bags, I politely tell them that ALL of my bags acompany me and wait untill the other bag or tray comes out of the Xray.

It is their right to search but it is not their right to be impolite or destructive.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #24
Machinist Mate

Well stated, Beaser. My stuff never leaves my side. It's my paycheck depending on that gear. As for wrecking the bag, well if you have a Porta Brace that's unlikely. My Porta Brace has housed my XL1 for at least three years now and has been through many airports. It fits in the overhead bins of most full-size airliners, but on those regional jets & props you wind up propping your feet up on the bag as it tries to fit under the seat in front of you.

Y'know, I was a bit dubious when I first saw the price of the Porta Brace....but after all that travel, when it came time to find a case for a GL1, you guessed it: Porta Brace was the first choice.

The PowerBook rides in a Pelican when doing local travels. However, when flying I switch it into my soft-sided briefcase which also houses my digicam, cellphone, headphones, date book, paperwork and myriad random travel junque...keys, anything metal (not Hustler, hee hee, maybe AVVMMP and a couple of DVDs)...it's just more versatile and I can overstuff it (which helps to cushion the computer).

Lights and sticks go in checked luggage, padded by my clothes. The Bogen fits diagonally in the suitcase with the head on.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home