Best way for US client needs to pay me in the UK? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Best way for US client needs to pay me in the UK?

Hi folks,

I'm based in the UK and I'll be doing some work for US company. We wont actually physically meet - we'll be doing everything via t'interweb. I'm just wondering; can anyone recommend the best way for the US company to pay me? By "best" I mean: how can we get the best exchange rate and be charged the least commission? Is a paper cheque the best way to go?

Many thanks for any advice at all!
Thanks,
Jack
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Having the funds transferred into your bank account is common, although perhaps not the safest because you do need to give them your account details.

A bankers draft cheque made out in Sterling payable to you would be the safest if you have worries about the A/C details and you don't pay any charges. If the cheque is made out in US dollars, however, you have to pay any charges.

It really depends on who is going to pay the charges. Overall, you tend not to lose out if they pay everything in Sterling.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Paypal works fine...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Guys,

Thanks loads for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
It really depends on who is going to pay the charges. Overall, you tend not to lose out if they pay everything in Sterling.
Unfortunately, I think the bank charges will be deducted from the film budget even if my client does the conversion to Sterling. Oh well.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Major Player

I just heard from my client that his experience is that a paper cheque (in US Dollars) is better than wiring funds electronically.

If I receive a cheque in USD, should I just pay this into my bank account like a normal cheque (I have a Barclays Business Account) or should I take it to a currency exchange service? My limited experience with buying kit abroad is that Barclays provides a reasonably competitive exchange rate.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Major Player

I've done a bit of Googling...

This forum suggests that the best way to cash a cheque in USD is to simply take it direct to my UK bank: GEtting american cheque - cheapest way to convert? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

A second forum suggests using PayPal or asking my bank to set up a US bank account on my behalf or to use AuctionChex: $ dollars into £ Pounds - DNForum - Domain Sales, Domain Forum, Domain Appraisals, Domain Registrars
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Not wiring funds explanation is pure BUNK !!!

I transact wire business to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars USD w/o problem. You will know w/i a few hours that the funds have arrived. A paper check will need to "clear" first.

Have them wire the funds....
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I spoke to my bank (Barclays) and they told me that they can accept a (paper) cheque in US dollars but it could take up to 6 weeks to clear! Yes, 6 WEEKS! The charges are very low though - only 0.25% of the sterling amount up to a max charge of £60.

I explained the problem to my client and he very graciously offered to wire me the money and to pay for the fees! I'm very lucky - my clients all seem to be very nice, friendly folks.

Thanks for all the info,
Jack
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kelly View Post
I spoke to my bank (Barclays) and they told me that they can accept a (paper) cheque in US dollars but it could take up to 6 weeks to clear! Yes, 6 WEEKS! The charges are very low though - only 0.25% of the sterling amount up to a max charge of £60.
Your bank has to physically return the paper cheque to the US bank which is one reason for the delay.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Major Player

+1 to wire transfer
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I wire and get wires all the time.

Wiring is a great way to go.

Paper checks do take forever because of clearance times and the usual bank/money market detours.

Paypal not a bad way to go, either.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I get paper cheques drawn on US accounts almost weekly. If you have a Barclays Business account the the funds should show on your account in about 5 days. The transaction is handled electronically, but it costs £30.00.
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #13
Major Player

Great stuff, many thanks for all the info.
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Trustee

Jack

Surely you can't beat Paypal? £30 for clearing a cheque is typical Barclays. Paypal will transfer £750 for that.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home