Trip to Barcelona at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old June 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Trip to Barcelona

I plan on travelling to barcelona in the Summer. The camera will be packed in a kata r-104 backbag and i will take it as carry on.
I read a few threads about travelling with tripods and it doesnt seem to be a good idea to use a softbag for you tripod. So when considering a hardcase which ones do you recommend? My Tripod consists of "Miller Solo Eng" Legs and a DS10 Head. (lenght about 26inch /65cm). Or should I just get a big enough suitcase and put it in together with my clothes?

So thats the flight, but where should i store my gear when i arrived? I will stay at a youth hostel and really donīt want to leave my expensive camera gear at the hostel when i am not there? Any ideas? I was thinking about locking it away at the train station, but i donīt know if that would be a good idea...

thanks
Marcus Rieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

For what it's worth, I've always packed my tripod in a suitcase and never had problems.

You don't mention how much traveling experience you've had.

Train station lockers in Europe tend to be safe -- at least a lot safer than youth hostels. Barcelona is, on the whole, a safe city, but be careful on the Ramblas. It attracts a lot of tourists and, not surprisingly, attracts a lot of tourist-centric crime (as with any other city). Be aware of your surroundings, watch out for the usual scams (pack 'o kid pickpockets, gypsy woman w/ baby, "I spilled something on you, let me help," etc.). Never, ever, ever let your gear out of your sight. Don't accept drinks from strangers (unless they're poured by the bartender in front of you), keep your passport somewhere safe (not the hostel -- get a money belt that you wear under your clothes), don't flash around cash, keep your credit cards in the money belt, and don't carry a wallet. Barcelona, Europe and foreign travel are perfectly safe, but as a tourist, particularly one with expensive video gear, you're considered an easy mark.

While in Barcelona, I recommend visit to Cal Pep -- it's a small tapas bar that only opens in the evening and has the BEST tapas in the world. I'd go back to Barcelona just for that.

Barcelona is a fabulously picturesque city with tons of great video opportunities. Have fun!
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks a lot for your reply. Great tips in there!! I traveled a bit around europe by train some time ago, but i never took any camera equipment with me.

So if no one else has other ideas, i guess i should just leave my camera gear in a train station locker?
Marcus Rieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes thatīs probably a good idea
John S. Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home