Tripod thru Airport... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old July 18th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #16
Major Player

The legs are small enough to fit on the bag and not violate the size requirement. But will security have a problem?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Kasah
Usually I have a technical company to provide me tripod, sound and light for a certain event. I just hand carry my camera, no worries. But not on this project, sigh...

Just that for most of my coming projects I be going alone and would like to have my gear as light weight as possible. I have gone for the first trip with my Libec, check it in as luggage..and check out as cripple. Maybe it's just one of those unlucky few but I would like to hear from others... Btw, my trips is around Thailand various airport if that does matter...
Hey Dean,

why don't you find out about rental places whereever you're staying/going to shoot. I'm sure lotsa Thai rental houses out there, will do some delivery with a small fee. I'm sure you know you can rely on FEG/cinegear locally, for rental of lights n such.

rock on!
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #18
Trustee

I think TSA is the bigger worry:

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...16_2005_v3.pdf

I always put my tipod in my suitcase and check it through so I don't get stuck and have to leave it behind. I pack it in the sling I use to carry it and just pack around it.
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #19
Wrangler

That's an interesting document, thanks.... I'm glad to know that I can pack my meat cleaver, axe and brass knuckles in my suitcase next time.

Not sure how this sheds any light on the tripod question though...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #20
Trustee

It is line in the opening that states: "Prohibited items are weapons, explosives, incendiaries, and include items that are seemingly
harmless but may be used as weapons—the so-called “dual use” items."

A decent set of sticks with a fluid head can certainly be used as effectively as a weapon as a baseball bat, which is not allowed.
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #21
Wrangler

That's possible, although they say you can bring knitting needles, canes and umbrellas but they will want to inspect. So I just don't know the real answer to the question. Personally I would not want to carry a tripod on however. If you decide to give it a try please report back to us with your experience.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:29 PM   #22
Regular Crew

carry what you can

After the mounting plate of my 501 was cracked somewhere enroute to Boise ID, and I had to unpack/repack XL2, laptop and ancilliaries at half a dozen airports I changed my tactics....

I break down the most vital kit and stash it in my jacket. I make sure the project can roll without the hold luggage.

This saved me on the next trip when my rucksack and the sticks from the 501 failed to turn up in Moscow. I got to the shoot on time, and sat at a table to rest my elbows while hand holding the camera for the interview.

(The hold luggage arrived the next day.)

I carry the XL2 split with the body in handheld wrapped in a cheap supermarket bag. The standard lens I wrap and stuff in a jacket pocket, the EF lense in its bag inthe other pocket. I put the tripod head, with the lap top in the camera bag.

This way there is no confusing nest for the scanners, and I'm not asked to unpack things.

The sticks, PAG light batttery, and spare transformers go in the hold luggage, in the middle of the rucksack. NB large batteries always arouse suspicion.

I will be upgrading to a more suitable tripod for super-telephoto panning. I definately won't leave a Schachter or Vinten head on the tripod in the hold!

Nick Hockings,
Nick Hockings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM   #23
Wrangler

Have you been through a US airport recently? I'd be very surprised if they didn't ask you to take the camera out of the bag, regardless of what you put it in. They were constantly announcing "please remove all laptops and video cameras, place them in a tray and send them through separately".

The lines are long and as a courtesy to everyone else behind me I just complied with these requests since it was really a very minor inconvenience.

But I'm confused as to what happens to the camera in its brown paper bug during the flight. Do you hold it on your lap? I wouldn't trust it like that in the overhead compartment. People grab stuff in and out of there and it could easily get smashed or even dropped out.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:41 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I've been to the US several times in the last 12 months, but flights out of the EU and even internal flights in India & Pakistan are much the same re ultra-security. Even the scanners were the same model...

The camera bag was typically well laden and fitting laptop, 3 lenses, mics, batteries etc in so they don't harm each other tends to hold up the queue.

I do take the lap top out, but that IS quick when the camera isn't in the Kata bag.

The bags I use for the body is just any disposable plastic bag. It's just to keep dust (and Customs eyes) off it. From airport security's point of view it is 'out of the bag'. What they care about is having only a single layer of electronic goodies to scan. When camera, and lenses show up spaced out in a jacket that's good, because they can see clearly what each one is.

Ammusingly in Frankfurt when they saw the XL2 they asked if I'd been in Iraq, because somebody lied and explosives residues set off the detectors.

Nick Hockings
Nick Hockings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I travel extensively and always have to carry my own gear in suit cases/back-packs.

I don't use a proper video tripod on these trips, insead I use a Manfrotto 3011BM steel photo tripod with a 55B center column and a 701RC2 head with a 394 quick release place (because that plate is also used on my little Varizoom steadicam and on my mono-pod, so I can switch around really easily.)

The who rig is on the heavy side, 8 or 9 pounds and I have the remove the center column and head to get it in my bag but it has proved to be pretty indestructable. The legs measure 24" when fully collapsed and fit at an angle in my Samsonite garment bag.
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home