Storage, Security & Insurance of your gear & software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old March 29th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Storage, Security & Insurance of your gear & software

With all the programs, vst plugins, copy protection keys etc. we use to power our computers and run our DAW's & NLE's, we accumulate a lot of software on CD's. Do you keep your programs in the colorful boxes they come in which requires space, or do you store the cd's in a cd photo album type book and place the manuals on a bookshelf? To take it a step further, do any of you place the cd's in the album book and store the total collection in a fireproof file cabinet or fireproof safe?

I think that storage and protection of our investment is something to be concerned about. Insuring your gear and software at replacement cost is a good feeling? I went through the task of making an inventory list of my gear and software with serial numbers to provide my insurance company along with photos. You would be surprised just how much you have spent. Also for those that have clients in your studio, liability insurance is another consideration to have. And lasty, installing a security system to provide additional security to the premises is of great benefit.

We always talk about gear, audio, video and software; but we never talk about protecting our investments and our sanity. The thought of being wiped out from a burgulary, fire or whatever is a nightmare.
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think you have brought up a lot of really interesting and relevant questions. I am new to this stuff but had an interesting thing happen to me the other night. I was at a friends house who just happens to be a professional editor who was showing me nle stuff. At the end of the night I put my xl2 into my carrying case. It was a cheap, old duffell bag. He stated that using such a device to carry such equipment is not such a bad idea. After all, if it looks expensive it is more appealing to the bad guy. That is why even when he gets new carrying gear he will put duct tape on it to make it look old and less expensive. Made sense to me.

I do keep all of my software in a single carrying case and the books on the shelf. It would all go up in flames if I had a fire so the thought of getting a fireproof safe is not a bad idea. I also seem a bit more worried about leaving my camera at home now when I am not there. I almost feel like carrying it werever I go but that is not practical.

late
jb
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would guess that no insurance company is willing to offer any sort of computer/software insurance. Thus, the best way to safeguard investments in computers/software would be to protect the hardware, media and licenses.

Do as I do and keep your computer under a desk but on some sort of feet. Reason: If the roof collapses (I have seen it happen) and a few cubic meters of rain water pours in, only those computers that are under some sort of table will survive. Also, casters or feet are important when there is water up to your ankles, or else the computer will take an unhealthy bath. If you are lucky enough not to live in a house with a flat roof, you could still experience a leak in an upper floor (or just tip a coffee mug, or worse). Also don't keep your PC close to curtains because if the power supply unit fails (they all do) and ends up in flames (not usually), you don't want it to ignite the house ;) I'm a bit paranoid. I work with computers.

Besides physical protection (from water, chair-pc-collisions, etc...) an UPS device is helpful too. It doesn't provide only power but also protection from all sorts of over/under voltages etc.

I keep my CDs and DVDs in a cardboard file with "CD sleeves" that are meant for archiving CDs. Wrong type of plastic (or any markings or stickers, too) could react with the CD/DVD media in the long run... I keep the file in a dark, cool place.

For hardware (camcorder, lenses etc.) I got an insurance.

No fireproof safes, but I keep all my registration codes and numbers in encrypted form on in my Palm PDA that I allways carry. Media is replaceable if it gets destroyed, but I need some proof of purchase...
Ralf Strandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ralf Strandell : I would guess that no insurance company is willing to offer any sort of computer/software insurance.-->>>

Rolf:

Here in the states, the policy that I have does cover the software and hardware. It covers in the event of theft, fire, floods, natural disasters and now you can even get coverage for acts of terrorism. I am sure the coverage will vary from what company you select, and I really can't say what coverage one could expect outside the US.
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Some might think this is really sick, but I have a friend who keeps his GL2 in a diaper bag...on top of the camera is a diaper with a rolled and formed brownie in it.

When I asked him why he did it, he said that it was cheap insurance and that he can keep the camera in the bag in the front seat and as long as the simulated diaper is showing, nobody wants to break in to take it.

I think I'll just stick with insurance...
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home