Shoe Quest - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old June 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #16
Major Player

Go buy some skateboarding shoes:
Reson why: Mold to your feet in a couple days, have great pading, will last for ever if you do not skateboard, low ankle allows for good movement, gives total control to your feet with maximum protection.
Just think about all the crazy older skateboarding althlete guys you see on t.v., they've been doing that stuff their hole life, standing on concrete, jumping, landing hard, and running/walking. Go get some D.C., Audio, Circa, DVS, Globes (probably the most confy shoes you could ever own; almost like a slipper if you get the chet thomas ones). Find them at pac sun, or a local skate/snow shop. will run around 80 bucks
Wes Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #17
Major Player

When you put on the right pair of shoes, you will know it in the first five seocnds. That is why I said to go shop at the $200 place. And there are only a few categories of shoes: dress, casual, work, boot, athletic. Dress shoes are not always fancy, and I would not suggest a pair of Italian leather shoes or snakeskin cowboy boots for this (although they are dressy shoes).

Go try some on, and then aska competent salesperson to help you pick one once you know what a good shoe feels like.
Old June 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #18
Inner Circle

My theory on sneakers is that they're designed for motion. A shoe made for running and a shoe made for standing around all day in one place are two different things. I don't know that softer necessarily means more comfortable for long-term standing either. I used to have a pair of Red Wing mail man shoes that were quite stiff, but with cork in the soles. I could stand in those things all day. I agree that you want to avoid shoes that are too dressy. They'll just get all scuffed up. Next time you're in an autoparts store, check out what shoes they're wearing.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #19
Slash Rules!

Well, I took someone's advice. I got me some rockports. I think shoequest is over after this--if I don't return these, they're mine forever, and I ain't a-buyin' any more. I'll just have hurty feet.

Where are the $200 stores? I was at Clarks and the Walking Company the other day, didn't find anything there, and at Foley's today, where everything was 50% off. . .so nothing was even close to $200. I asked the guy if there were higher end Rockports than the ones I was getting, and he said the ones I had had all the features, and everything pricier was a dress shoe.

Last edited by Josh Bass; June 18th, 2005 at 09:27 PM.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #20
Inner Circle

At the risk of being laughed at....military issue combat boots. They are designed for extensive periods of use each day (standing or walking). Get 2 pair and swap them everyday (mark one pair with a white dot at the top of the shank so you can tell them apart.) Do not get what they call 'jump boots'. These are popular among soldiers because they shine up really well( spit shine) but almost never last as long or as comfortable. I still have a pair that are almost 20 years old and are still wearable.

If you can't find them from a good military suplus store, consider looking at Timberland boots. I have a 10 year old pair I use for motorcycling and hiking. Great boots, usually run about 110 to 150 US.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #21
Slash Rules!

I mentioned the military boots in a previous post. Someone on another forum recommended them. I've tried on Timberlands, didn't find them to be "the one".

I can go to one of these pricey stores, if someone tells me which ones they are (already been to Clarks, Walking Company, Foleys, and REI).
Old June 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #22
Major Player

Josh, do you need me to try on the shoes for you too?

Go to www.AllendEdmunds.com (SPecific brand mentioned as my favorites) or JohnstonMurphy.com and use their store locator.
Old June 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Josh if you decide on the combat boot , make sure they are genuine. Some of the surplus stores sell knockoffs. If you know someone in the military, near a base or post, ask them to get you a pair from the base clothing store (not the same as a px/bx). Good luck.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #24
Slash Rules!

Har har, Bob.

Thanks guys. I'll look into these places.
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #25
Major Player

Try a pair of Redwing ankle-high boots, all leather with crepe soles. They're the most comfortable things I've ever worn, that had solid support. They were so flexible and light, that I could even play basketball in them.

Another suggestion is a pair of ankle-high, lightweight hiking boots, that are built like heavy-duty running shoes. I've got a pair by Nevados, that give me great all-around support and comfort. I get all my shoes at Big 5, where you can find $50. models for $15. to $20. This makes it less painful, if you buy a pair that turn out to be dogs.

As last resorts, try losing weight, exercising hard on a daily basis, going barefoot or getting a new pair of feet.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:25 AM   #26
Major Player

I was just gonna pipe in with a Redwings suggestion.
I have worn both the steel toe ankle the full boot.
I alway wore steel toes when I shot news.
Never knew where you were gonna be next.
The ankle boots are more comfortable.

In my corporate gig now i wear sneakers or
casual shoes in the $80- $100 range.

I have a $200 pair of dress shoes.
I will never work in a pair of $200 shoes.
It would kill me to see them get beat up!
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

Yeah--I didn't really get where the $200 Allen Edmunds thing was coming from (no offense). If I wasn't clear, I need shoes that can get nastied up, as I could be outdoors, in dusty areas, etc. I'm not working in a predictable or fixed environment.

I tried to get to a place that had redwings today--no luck. I'll have to go on a weekend or something.

I took back the rockports. Too narrow. Yes, I do have tiny little girl feet, but they are also wide.
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:27 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
Yeah--I didn't really get where the $200 Allen Edmunds thing was coming from (no offense).
I suggested that because you seemed to not know what shoes should feel like when they fit properly. Explaining it is like describing RED to ablind person. You have to FEEL it. For me, my first pair of AE shoes was an epiphany of footwear. :) I won't go into why.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:00 PM   #29
Slash Rules!

Ah. Gotcha. Guess it's redwings or military boots for me. What's wrong with cheap Shoals inserts?
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:56 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Do shoe stores carry Redwing? I thought they were only sold in an actual Redwing store.

Here's the store locator page — http://www.redwingshoe.com/

Their stores are cool by the way. Those people are serious about feet.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home