XHA1 to Cuba...good or bad idea? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old October 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hooey View Post
Osmany,
I also would really love to fly over to Havana for a day to see the big city too.
Don't you fly in and out of Havana International? Stay over for a day, check out the historical area of the city.

Cheers.
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Our flight does not take us to Havana, it goes from Toronto Pearson Airport to Holguin City (Holguin Province). Seeing as the two are quite far from each other we are entertaining the idea of flying over to Havana for a day depending on the cost. I understand there is also a railroad system that links some of these provinces so that might be an option as well.

We are just getting our last minute preparations done this evening before leaving for the airport tommorow.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post, lots of great input and information has made the preparations smoother and less anxiety about the trip. I'll post again when we return to help wrap up this thread and hopefully relate many wonderful experiences!

All the best,
James Hooey
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I just got back from Jamaica, where I brought my HV20, a Beachtek, and some mics. My Sony EX1 stayed at home.

I think you made a great choice in the HV40. Low profile & light weight is the way to go.

Safe travels!
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I definetly have to agree. Leave the big camera home and take something like an hv20 or hv40.
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #20
Major Player

I have filmed in Cuba twice. Once with a Sony DSR-570 and another time with a Sony Z1. I would say take your XHA1!!! How many times will you have the chance to shoot in Cuba?

You have probably already left for the trip, but I would be kicking myself if all i had was a small camera for what you will see in Cuba.

I have never had a problem going in and out of customs in Cuba and I am an American.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #21
Major Player

My 2 cents.

I've never been to Cuba, but i took my XHA1 to Iran and spent much of my time kicking myself for not taking a smaller camera. It's not that you can't shoot with bigger cameras, but that you feel a lot more self conscious doing so. There's always the feeling that you look like you're a serious filmmaker and ought to have some kind of permit. With smaller camera's you just look like a tourist. I now own a 5Dmii, and just wish i'd had it when i was in Iran as i'd have shot 3 times as much without any paranoia whatsoever.

Having said that, you'll probably be fine, but i think that since there are so many excellent small cameras around these days, it's better to take along one of them instead. Of course if you have the cash you could take along a small one as well, and i wouldn't mind betting you get more good stuff from that.

Doh! Just realised this thread is 6 months old. Hope you had a good trip.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home