DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Setting up mini editing station in Jeep (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/469093-setting-up-mini-editing-station-jeep.html)

Scott Nelson December 7th, 2009 07:51 PM

Setting up mini editing station in Jeep

Ok, So I have an old Jeep Cherokee that I use for most of my shoots... I have decided to turn it into a remote recording vehicle. I was planning to run BNC and an Audio line from my camera to the Jeep and record to HD there..

Now, I have an Idea to use SATA drives in a hot swap drive to store the info from the mini computer in the Jeep, and then I can swap the HD into my editing station to do final editing..

Does anyone see any issues with this system?

David W. Jones December 8th, 2009 01:19 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here.
How are you going to get the footage from your XH-A1 into the computer in your vehicle while you are shooting? Do you have an additional interface like an AJA IO HD for example, or just a firewire feed?
How are you planning on powering this mobile editing setup?

Battle Vaughan December 8th, 2009 03:46 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the BNC video out is composite (standard def) video, not hd, which is only obtainable by firewire. And firewire has a finite limit to the cable run, something line 15 feet, as I recall. /Battle Vaughan

David W. Jones December 8th, 2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1457855)
If I'm not mistaken, the BNC video out is composite (standard def) video, not hd, which is only obtainable by firewire. And firewire has a finite limit to the cable run, something line 15 feet, as I recall. /Battle Vaughan

Composite is SD but the component out is HD.

Adam Gold December 8th, 2009 04:49 PM

It looks like only the G1 has BNC connectors, for HD-SDI out. The A1 has a different interface for component and no SDI/BNC.

Just basing this on the pix in the manual, so I cold be wrong.

Battle Vaughan December 8th, 2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 1457868)
Composite is SD but the component out is HD.

Yes,but you can't get component from the bnc connector on the XHA1. ( although there is a BNC on the jackpack on the G1 model that does HD-SDI).

The component cable supplied is pretty short, I wonder if one could get a custom cable long enough to reach? It appears to be a proprietary cable..../BV

Shaun Roemich December 8th, 2009 11:05 PM

I believe the OP is talking about recording to Hard Drive (HD) and if he is in fact talking about SD (standard def), he's gold.

Power the system using a power inverter routed through an Uninterruptible Power Supply.

Battle Vaughan December 9th, 2009 12:01 AM

Hmmm, maybe "record to HD" means "hard drive' and not "high def"...! True, SD works, we did a test with the XHa1 over 300' of cable in case we had to provide pool video sometime...worked fine, although got a little video "hum" which a Humbucker took care of.../ BV

David W. Jones December 9th, 2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1458033)
I believe the OP is talking about recording to Hard Drive (HD) and if he is in fact talking about SD (standard def), he's gold.

Power the system using a power inverter routed through an Uninterruptible Power Supply.

I don't know about being gold.
He would still need an I/O type interface to get the SD signal into his Hard Drive on the computer. As far as a power inverter into an uninterruptible power supply, the key as always is to calculate your amp hours needed for you entire shoot.
Also with computers you will want a full sinewave inverter, and they get expensive.
Plus the batteries to power the unit for X amount of time, plus a charge tender, plus...
well you get the idea, there is more to this than one might think.
I have a portable uncompressed HD/SD capture setup based on a G5 and AJA Kona that I can load into my Benz Sprinter and take anywhere when needed.

Good Luck with your project!

Scott Nelson December 9th, 2009 02:08 PM

Yes, I was talking about Hard Drive.. Though yes, a good point about the BNC out.. it is only SD.

I was going to have a I/O controller with a BNC input in the computer. I was planning to run a good power inverter and leave the jeep running, or, use a portable generator.

David W. Jones December 9th, 2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Nelson (Post 1458281)
I was going to have a I/O controller with a BNC input in the computer. I was planning to run a good power inverter and leave the jeep running, or, use a portable generator.

So how far away from your jeep do you plan on shooting?
In your first post you included an audio feed along with video.
With the jeep running, or even a quiet Honda or Yamaha generator too close, and your audio will pickup the sounds. Move the running jeep and generator far enough away to not ruin your sound then how do you start/stop/check the computer recording in the jeep?

Shaun Roemich December 9th, 2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 1458142)
Also with computers you will want a full sinewave inverter, and they get expensive.

Don't disagree BUT is it not possible to get a UPS that runs OFF the battery side rather than the AC rails? I'm pretty sure that's how mine works (in another city so I can't verify), thus acting as a soft power conditioner (certainly enough for computers).

Warren Kawamoto December 13th, 2009 02:18 PM

When I did wedding SDE editing in my van 15 years ago, I bought a 12v battery for a Caterpillar D7 (weights about 135lbs!), hooked it up to a full sine wave inverter, then ran my decks, edit controller, and monitors with it. It could go several hours before a recharge. Today's equipment is much less power hungry, so I think you could go with a smaller battery and inverter. BTW today's pure sine wave inverters are not that expensive ($200-300) for 1Kw units, if you're doing a full blown studio in a truck. Last year I got a pure sine wave 100w inverter at Walmart for about $30, which is good for laptops and external drives.

Recently, I remember seeing a modification to the Chevy van's alternator that converts it to a 5K generator with a flip of a switch when the engine is running. I forgot who made that modification, though. I saw them at NAB. His van was at the outdoor display.

Scott Nelson December 17th, 2009 01:18 PM

well, any alternator can output 120v house power, its just a matter of how long till it overheats and cracks the coils..

I am not looking to go WAY over the top with this... Liek I said it is just going to me a mini setup... Just so that I can talk with the client about what I can do and do some rough editing... The SD would be fine in hindsight cause it would allow me to do on the spot green screen proofing and just do a simple storyboard too...

So I guess I am also now having an issue finding a PCI BNC input... I had one located at a local store, but they don't sell it anymore... Idea?

Battle Vaughan December 18th, 2009 11:42 AM

BNC>rca adapters are a pretty standard item. The BNC female >RCA male (which is what I am guessing you need) are maybe not at radio shack but you can find them at places like Markertek (Markertek - Audio and Video Equipment - Professional Broadcast Studio Equipment) or Wallco Electronics pretty easily. If that's not what you need, practically any other standard adapter is available there.../Battle Vaughan