DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   New TSB Ruling regarding Airline Flights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/470386-new-tsb-ruling-regarding-airline-flights.html)

Dean Sensui January 7th, 2010 03:33 PM

The progression of inspections in response to threats has me a little worried.

Someone tried to smuggle a bomb in their shoes.
So now we gotta take off our shoes.

Someone tried to smuggle in a liquid-based bomb.
So now we gotta surrender all liquids.

Now someone built a bomb into their BVDs.
So now ..... !

Andrew Smith January 7th, 2010 07:14 PM

An then there is the additional issue of TSA agents who feel that they are in charge of everything, all powerful and all knowing.

Quote:

A TSA agent was arrested on January 3rd in Terminal One at LAX, a source told NBCLA. He had just gotten off duty and was behaving erratically, saying, "I am god, I’m in charge."
Of course, thanks to the "underpants bomber", you'll now have to sign a declaration that you aren't wearing any.

There has got to be a better country in the world to visit.

Andrew

Dean Sensui January 7th, 2010 07:39 PM

Just last August a TSA screener was convicted of theft from luggage here in Hawaii:

TSA worker gets jail, probation for luggage thefts - Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News

Sadly, this is not an isolated incident. Many of the people who are entrusted to protect our security can't even resist the temptation of outright theft.

Here's other stories:

TSA agent helped himself to a $47,900 camera (and more!) | Gadling.com

TSA getting serious about luggage theft - arrests TSA agent stealing from luggage | Gadling.com

Has the TSA stolen from you? - This Just In - Budget Travel

These are not comforting stories when many of us routinely travel with thousands of dollars worth of essential equipment.

Giovanni Pietro July 10th, 2010 12:00 AM

and what about a tripod, is it all imaginable to carry that on ?

Bob Hart July 10th, 2010 05:21 AM

If a TSA agent can take something out of an airport, then something can be put in via the same route. Very re-assuring.

As for passengers?- Next step, mandatory requirement to present proof as to body being void of liquids and solids in quantities capable of harming an aircraft and passengers.

I would not be at all surprised if a few suicidal sons of the cause have not already been martyred to testing constituent substances capable of forming a binary explosive in the gut or bladder when something swallowed in flight passes through, reaches point zero to complete the combination and - ........

All pax with fresh surgical scars or indwelling tubes of any kind being turned away at the gate.

Andrew Smith July 10th, 2010 06:18 PM

Yet nobody is concerned at just how effective plastic knives really are?

Andrew

Bob Hart July 10th, 2010 11:54 PM

Effectiveness of plastic knives? Depends on how modified they are. It takes time to modify one to greater lethality, time and industry which might be noticed by others.

I think it comes down to the "perceived threat". On the balance of probabilities, other passengers might be less deterred from intervening if they are not seeing cold steel at a hostage's throat or pointed at their own.

The nowadays stronger likelyhood of passenger intervention drives the terrorists' search for more discreet ways for a hostile passenger to bring aircraft down.

Many passengers now have devised personal counter-terrorist plans of their own. Most are probably of doubtful competence. However with enough people having taken the decision to act, the window of opportunity when the deers are in the headlights and paralysed may be reduced. Any plan is better than no plan at all. Could be an asset, could be a hindrance to air marshals.

This potential represents deterrence in combination with existing security regimes.

The vision of a seedy little man, hiding in the window seat, apparently playing with himself trying to set off his jocks does not a glorious image of martyrdom make.

I think our authorities are due some rightful credit, that the aspiring airbourne terrorists have been reduced to such events of sad desperation and have started to pay out on their friends closer to home, rather than their enemies.

So if you see an otherwise innocuous litle guy, or girl for that matter, dressing a sharper edge and filing deeper serrations in the bread and butter knife on the seat fittings, don't be complacent and use good manners as a reason for accepting the excuse that the steak is tough.

There goes my delusion.

Andrew Smith July 11th, 2010 12:19 AM

Terrorists I can handle.

What truly scares me is an attack of the stupids.

Andrew

Ronny Mills March 13th, 2011 08:39 AM

Re: New TSB Ruling regarding Airline Flights

For our UK friends:

United Airlines - Travelling with Equipment? Let Media Onboard take away the stress.

Ronny Mills March 13th, 2011 08:52 AM

Re: New TSB Ruling regarding Airline Flights

See "Specialty Items":

American Airlines Baggage Allowance On AA.com