DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   New TSB Ruling regarding Airline Flights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/470386-new-tsb-ruling-regarding-airline-flights.html)

Robert Adams December 30th, 2009 12:20 AM

Air Travel Hassles - and a future solution?

OK guys and gals,

This air travel thing is getting serious. I use a JVC HD series camera. I have lost luggage enough times over 20 something years of travelling to work (in news and current affairs, almost always in foreign news) to hand carry camera, radio mics, tapes, 2 x battery, charger, laptop and charger, iPod, something to read, and a spare pair of skivvies. That's the minimum. At least with this load I can work straight off the plane, even if my checked bags go to Bogota or Burundi by mistake.

Now, every time some prat tries to set fire to his underpants or shoes or whatever, my life gets a little harder. Combine a passport full of stamps to places like Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc, and 12 - 15 kgs of complex electronics in my hand baggage, and check-in becomes a fun-free zone.

I know that I am not alone in this...

And I wonder if we can start a little campaign here to make it slightly easier.

Almost without exception, musicians are allowed to carry their instruments on the plane with them. If it's something large, like a Cello or Sousaphone, perhaps they need to buy a second ticket. But there is a pretty much universal understanding between musicians and airlines that musical instruments don't go in the hold, and can be carried IN ADDITION TO the normal carry-on allowance.

Bob Atkins' blog - at http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/ - tells me that the TSA actually does specifically allow professional camera gear to be carried IN ADDITION to the normal carry-on allowance. So if this is the case, why don't the airlines follow the same advice? After all, I (my clients) spend probably USD50,000 a year on air travel.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

What can we do to lobby the airline industry to allow us professional camera operators to have the same privileges applied to our camera kit?

Is there a recognised body for professional camera operators that could (or perhaps does) issue a photocard, recognised by the airlines and TAS and Airport security, identifying the bearer as a Professional Camera Operator, which would help us get our equipment safely onto the plane with us, and not left at the mercy of the thieves, incompetents, and failed weight-lifters who seem to be attracted to the profession of airport baggage handler?

Thoughts and comments gratefully accepted...

Happy New Year, too.

R

Bob Jackson January 3rd, 2010 02:05 PM

New TSB Ruling regarding Airline Flights

THis is OT, but thread may be of interest to those of us that will be traveling in the near future to a US destination.
Has anyone here yet transported your EX camera, in a suitable case on an airline flight?
I am trying to find information, don't want to get to airport and not be able to take my camera with me on board. Would it be safe to put in luggage, unlocked in a pelican case?
Canadian Air Transport Security Authority - Temporary emergency measures in effect. Expect delays.

Olof Ekbergh January 3rd, 2010 03:00 PM

Up until the last unsuccessful (actually it was very successful, it is causing huge losses and fear) attempt, there was no problem on larger planes as carry on if you have a correct size case.

I have often sent cameras lights etc in Pelican or similar cases as check in, I lock with zipties and leave more zipties and a note in the case thanking TSA and asking them to re-ziptie the case. I have been lucky and have never had a problem.

Whenever possible I book direct flights on large airplanes. I have also been known to ship gear FEDEX. And I always find out where the nearest rental house at my destination, just in case.

Now the TSA says they will not tell us what they let you bring on board, when you are searched and what you can do on the plane, it is supposed to be a surplice so terrorists don't know what to expect.

I hope I don't get in trouble for this. But it would be very nice if anyone traveling with equipment, tell us here what is allowed. I understand it may be a state secret.

My guess is that in a few weeks/months things will calm down again.

And I will add that airlines have always been very helpful with camera gear. American and a few others have special low overweight rates for camera gear. The people at the checkin counters don't always know this, so it is best to check the airline's website. I actually bring a printout of the overweight rates, that makes everything much smoother.

Bob Jackson January 3rd, 2010 03:26 PM

I usually use a Kata 195 bag for my Ex1 and Gear.
Would not be real happy to have to put it in my other pelican case and leave unlocked and send thru checked baggage. Has anyone done this?

Alister Chapman January 3rd, 2010 03:41 PM

I've often checked in my EX1 or a PDW-700 in a pelicase. Never had a problem with either. In 25 years of traveling all over the world I have never had any camera equipment stolen in transit. It has been delayed, sometimes for some time, but it has always shown up in the end. I think the best thing to do is to pack the camera in a regulation size carry on case and make sure you leave plenty of time for security. Also make sue you have a charged battery and SxS card to demonstrate that the camera works.

Chris Hurd January 3rd, 2010 05:07 PM

Thread moved from Sony XDCAM to Home, Away from Home... so it's no longer OT.

Daniel Weber January 3rd, 2010 07:22 PM

I find that flying an airline system, mine is Star Alliance, helps a lot. I show the airline my frequent flyer status card and nicely explain the issue and they are always nice about it. It always put it on them. I say that I can't check the equipment because of the value and that I am sure that the airline doesn't want to be responsible for it if something happens. They always agree with me and let me carry it on.

What it going to be a bugger is now there are times when you will be limited to one carry on no matter what. it will really limit what you can take on.

It seems that the biggest problem are with small airlines and airports where security and ticket agents don't care or don't speak your language. I identification such as a Press Badge may help, but if the agent can't read it, it doesn't do much good.

Life certainly isn't easy with traveling these days.

The bigger issue for me is customs agents who are getting more restrictive on what you can and can't bring into a country.

Daniel Weber

Bob Hart January 3rd, 2010 09:59 PM

Don't be too sure about being able to take cameras aboard in the future. It was a rigged ENG camera which was used by a suicide bomber to knock off a Mujahadeen leader in Afghanistan not too long ago before the Taliban were first defeated.

It may come down to renting cameras locally, shipping them in well beforehand or worse for those of you who travel, local stringers having to be hired instead.

Mark Watson January 4th, 2010 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Pelican 1510 case, which will pass as carry on luggage. I have been allowed to bring it as my carry-on except once when I was flying Philippine Airlines. They wanted to weigh it, and it was over. I had to check it and pay the penalty. Not sure if the rules have changed in the states regarding the use of TSA approved locks, but if still allowed, then I recommend if you use a Pelican case, use two short-shank locks, one at each end. Otherwise the case can be pried open part way. Also, if you plan to hand-carry, always keep a couple TSA locks in the case anyways just in case you have to check it. If you want to lock it after your arrival in-country, I'd recommend using something other than the TSA locks, which can be opened with a master key. If they won't let you lock it when you check it, you can always try leaving the locks open with a note to the inspector to lock it once he's finished. Never tried it, but the most nervous part of the trip is at the luggage carousel wondering if you'll ever be reunited with your gear again...

Josh Bass January 4th, 2010 07:02 AM

Anyone flown recently?

I'm a little worried in light of the recent aviation-related incident. I have a film fest to attend in another city and state. I had planned to bring two bags. . .one with regular luggage, the other with dvds, posters, post cards, etc. I was going to check the regular stuff and carry on the other. Better to lose my clothes than all my publicity stuff. I heard you can ask for a hand check at security instead of running through the conveyor belt (in case you have tape, etc. that you're worried about being damaged by the X-rays). Am I going to be shot by nervous people if I try this now? Am I hosed?

Liam Hall January 4th, 2010 07:26 AM

Why are you worried about X-Rays? There's no problem putting digital media through X-Ray machines.

Your biggest problem is losing checked baggage, which happens to me regularly in the US -I'd hand carry as much as your airline allow. Also, if you're flying from Houston, make sure you don't crack a joke - jokes are banned at George Bush Airport and they will arrest you, I kid you not!

Chris Hurd January 4th, 2010 08:08 AM

Just ship your gear via FedEx or UPS using next-day delivery. Insure it for its replacement value. The shorter the transit time, the less of a chance for loss or damage. And not having to struggle with it at the airport makes the flying experience that much more tolerable.

Jerry Porter January 4th, 2010 08:25 AM

I have been shipping mine for years it's just easier. With what the airlines charge for overweight and extra bags these days not much more cost wise.

Robert Adams January 4th, 2010 10:29 AM

options not options...

I know I'm in a minority in terms of where I live and work - but there's not much in the way of rental houses in most (pretty much all) the places I work. There's often not stringers who can do the job properly. And fedex-ing 50 grand's worth of kit from Harare to Goma ain't ever going to be a winning proposition...

I take your point, Bob - I was in the region when Ahmed Shah was killed... even the Taliban got jumpy about cameras! And the Iranians have always insisted that before filming a major event (an interview with the Pres, for instance, or Khomeini's annual remembrance service) you leave all kit with security for 12 - 24 hours before the event so they can check it out thoroughly.

I guess I come back to the musician/camera operator connection - and I know this is not the time to be arguing against the machine; but if we as a profession could somehow work on the security/airline industry to make it easier for us to do our job, and theirs, surely everyone would benefit?

Maybe I'm just being naive. Maybe the answer is to fly business class, smile a lot, (but not too much) and stick with airlines you already have a consumer relationship with...

Bob Jackson January 4th, 2010 10:43 AM

Im only going on a month long holiday,with a few shots i might use at a later date.
Don't want to get at AP and have to put my Kata 195 with EX1 thru checked luggage.
If they won't allow it as carry on, which it now says cameras are allowed.The 195 bag is legal size for carry on. The 195 would not make it thru checked luggage without wrecking the camera.
My Pelican case is possible carry on legal???, but do not like idea of sending it unlocked thru the checked baggage.
Wife says to leave it at home.....

Marc Myers January 4th, 2010 03:23 PM

Shipping, stringers and rental houses work for some circumstances but not for many others. I travel to places in the developing world that, for all practical purposes, have none of those things. If they do they are unreliable, or exorbitant or both.

Bob Jackson January 4th, 2010 03:29 PM

As of now Air Canada is advising me of no carry on aboard flights. May change after today...?????

Marty Welk January 4th, 2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jackson (Post 1467521)

When i combine the 2 rules together, it doesnt sound like you can even bring video on a airline with this second one.
TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
Due to problems with Lithium-ion and lithium batteries, they are supposed to be carried in your carry on, SO if anything should happen it would be SEEN, and dealt with, as opposed to being in a Cargo hold starting a fire that wasnt seen.

PHMSA - Home - PHMSA Press Release 11-07
The rule limits passengers to not more than two large spare rechargeable lithium-ion batteries in carry-on baggage. This applies to batteries that exceed 8 grams (~100 watt hours) of equivalent lithium content and less than 25 grams (~300 watt hours) [see attached illustration]. Batteries with more than 25 grams (~300 watt hours) are not allowed in either checked or carry-on baggage.

notes: people in the battery/flashlight forum, have gone on flights with fully professional storage methods for thier (to many) batteries , and havent had any problems with this regulation. after all the Purpose, is to maintain SAFEty.

Josh Bass January 5th, 2010 01:28 AM

So my publicity stuff will consist of posters (up to 100 maybe), business cards, postcards (probably 1000), and 25 DVDs in full size cases. I don't think i'm doing tshirts or anything clever like that.

So how much (would you estimate) that'd be to ship from Houston to Park City Utah (where the fest is)? I also thought there was some weight threshold which, if you were under, your first checked bag was free?

Liam Hall January 5th, 2010 02:49 AM

Josh, check with your airline. The rules frequently change and differ between countries, airlines, even airports.

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1468120)
So how much (would you estimate) that'd be to ship from Houston to Park City Utah (where the fest is)?

That depends entirely on the weight and size of the packed box. Take it to your local mail center (or Kinko's, Office Depot, etc. which has a Fed Ex or UPS shipping counter) and they'll tell you how much it'll cost to ship it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1468120)
I also thought there was some weight threshold which, if you were under, your first checked bag was free?

The only airline I'm aware of that doesn't charge for checked baggage (up to two items) is SouthWest. The weight limit is 50 pounds per checked bag. For more info see Southwest Airlines - Baggage

Kin Lau January 5th, 2010 05:01 PM

I flew on Dec 28 from Albuquerque to Chicago to Ottawa via American Airlines/American Eagle. I had no problems carrying my Lowepro NatureTrekker with 2 stills cameras (Canon 7D and 1Dm2) and about 5 lens (Sigma 50-500, Canon 400/5.6, so not small stuff) _and_ a laptop bag.

Even checking in and going thru security @ Albuquerque's airport only took 30mins. I was expecting much worse.

Bob Jackson January 6th, 2010 11:03 AM

I believe the problem is coming into the
states from other countries

Bob Jackson January 6th, 2010 01:42 PM

<Passengers travelling to the United States are not allowed to bring carry on bags into the cabin of the aircraft, with some exceptions. Passengers may carry with them one or more of the following items: medication or medical devices, small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, a special needs item, musical instruments, or diplomatic or consular bags.>

Should i chance getting to the AP with my EX1 in my KAta 195 bag????

Marty Welk January 6th, 2010 02:17 PM

"medication or medical devices , containers carrying life sustaining items, a special needs item"
you could always try going into severe withdrawl symptoms when they suggest seperating you from your camera :-)
buy it its own ticket and window seat.
"musical instruments" Play a few chords out of it by pushing assigned buttons.
tell everyone who asks, your going to make them a "star".
"diplomatic or consular bags" Tell them your camera is going to film the Canadian Ambassidor.
Be completly nakid except for the camera covering you up, then they will know you wont be lighting your clothes or shoes on fire.
"laptop computers" Its Digital, it now HAS a computer in it, keep it on your lap.
Bring a monopod, and convince them the kit is your Crutches, and you cant walk away without it.
Say, its a Security camera.

Bob Jackson January 6th, 2010 03:12 PM

lol
I have decided to take it in a Pelican case, and can ship it via TSB Accessible locked
checked luggage if i can't go thru the carry on luggage.
I will be at AP with lots of time, so if i have to go back only one pissed with me will be my wife.
I may have to stay longer to make her happy.
I will post in a few days how it all went.

Josh Bass January 6th, 2010 03:40 PM

But you guys are saying tapes, dvds, anything you can think of (except film itself) is not harmed by Xrays?

Shaun Roemich January 6th, 2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jackson (Post 1468753)
<Passengers travelling to the United States are not allowed to bring carry on bags into the cabin of the aircraft....>

The OTHER problem here for us non-Americans is that, to the best of my knowledge, the US is the only country in the world that as an in-transit passenger CONNECTING at a US airport, I NEED to go through US Immigration. NORMALLY, you remain in the International Travel Secure Area and don't need to "enter" the country. Not so in the US. When I flew Winnipeg - Toronto - Miami - Rio I "entered" the country at Miami even though I was an in-transit passenger.

Liam Hall January 7th, 2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1468795)
But you guys are saying tapes, dvds, anything you can think of (except film itself) is not harmed by Xrays?

Yes. X-Ray has zero effect on digital media. It's magnetism that you have to be wary of.

Bob Jackson January 7th, 2010 02:15 PM

Inflight into the US.
AirCanada will allow only one carryon.
Laptop goes carryon, and EX1 in a HD case has to go checked luggage.
They would have allowed camera only, no case as the one piece of carry on, But where would i have put my laptop.....
At least we're on our way no worse for wear.
Lets hope locked Pelican case doesn't get stolen.

Dean Sensui January 7th, 2010 03:33 PM

The progression of inspections in response to threats has me a little worried.

Someone tried to smuggle a bomb in their shoes.
So now we gotta take off our shoes.

Someone tried to smuggle in a liquid-based bomb.
So now we gotta surrender all liquids.

Now someone built a bomb into their BVDs.
So now ..... !

Andrew Smith January 7th, 2010 07:14 PM

An then there is the additional issue of TSA agents who feel that they are in charge of everything, all powerful and all knowing.

Quote:

A TSA agent was arrested on January 3rd in Terminal One at LAX, a source told NBCLA. He had just gotten off duty and was behaving erratically, saying, "I am god, I’m in charge."
Of course, thanks to the "underpants bomber", you'll now have to sign a declaration that you aren't wearing any.

There has got to be a better country in the world to visit.

Andrew

Dean Sensui January 7th, 2010 07:39 PM

Just last August a TSA screener was convicted of theft from luggage here in Hawaii:

TSA worker gets jail, probation for luggage thefts - Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News

Sadly, this is not an isolated incident. Many of the people who are entrusted to protect our security can't even resist the temptation of outright theft.

Here's other stories:

TSA agent helped himself to a $47,900 camera (and more!) | Gadling.com

TSA getting serious about luggage theft - arrests TSA agent stealing from luggage | Gadling.com

Has the TSA stolen from you? - This Just In - Budget Travel

These are not comforting stories when many of us routinely travel with thousands of dollars worth of essential equipment.

Giovanni Pietro July 10th, 2010 12:00 AM

and what about a tripod, is it all imaginable to carry that on ?

Bob Hart July 10th, 2010 05:21 AM

If a TSA agent can take something out of an airport, then something can be put in via the same route. Very re-assuring.

As for passengers?- Next step, mandatory requirement to present proof as to body being void of liquids and solids in quantities capable of harming an aircraft and passengers.

I would not be at all surprised if a few suicidal sons of the cause have not already been martyred to testing constituent substances capable of forming a binary explosive in the gut or bladder when something swallowed in flight passes through, reaches point zero to complete the combination and - ........

All pax with fresh surgical scars or indwelling tubes of any kind being turned away at the gate.

Andrew Smith July 10th, 2010 06:18 PM

Yet nobody is concerned at just how effective plastic knives really are?

Andrew

Bob Hart July 10th, 2010 11:54 PM

Effectiveness of plastic knives? Depends on how modified they are. It takes time to modify one to greater lethality, time and industry which might be noticed by others.

I think it comes down to the "perceived threat". On the balance of probabilities, other passengers might be less deterred from intervening if they are not seeing cold steel at a hostage's throat or pointed at their own.

The nowadays stronger likelyhood of passenger intervention drives the terrorists' search for more discreet ways for a hostile passenger to bring aircraft down.

Many passengers now have devised personal counter-terrorist plans of their own. Most are probably of doubtful competence. However with enough people having taken the decision to act, the window of opportunity when the deers are in the headlights and paralysed may be reduced. Any plan is better than no plan at all. Could be an asset, could be a hindrance to air marshals.

This potential represents deterrence in combination with existing security regimes.

The vision of a seedy little man, hiding in the window seat, apparently playing with himself trying to set off his jocks does not a glorious image of martyrdom make.

I think our authorities are due some rightful credit, that the aspiring airbourne terrorists have been reduced to such events of sad desperation and have started to pay out on their friends closer to home, rather than their enemies.

So if you see an otherwise innocuous litle guy, or girl for that matter, dressing a sharper edge and filing deeper serrations in the bread and butter knife on the seat fittings, don't be complacent and use good manners as a reason for accepting the excuse that the steak is tough.

There goes my delusion.

Andrew Smith July 11th, 2010 12:19 AM

Terrorists I can handle.

What truly scares me is an attack of the stupids.

Andrew

Ronny Mills March 13th, 2011 08:39 AM

Re: New TSB Ruling regarding Airline Flights

For our UK friends:

United Airlines - Travelling with Equipment? Let Media Onboard take away the stress.

Ronny Mills March 13th, 2011 08:52 AM

Re: New TSB Ruling regarding Airline Flights

See "Specialty Items":

American Airlines Baggage Allowance On AA.com