DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Anyone Shot In Rwanda? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/480932-anyone-shot-rwanda.html)

Chris Mendes June 25th, 2010 11:51 AM

Anyone Shot In Rwanda?

Has anyone shot in Rwanda? I may be going in a month and would like all the info i can get, Including travel and packing tips, electricity , "donations to local officials", shooting conditions, Local niceties Health and vaccines etc.
I plan to shoot XDcam EX w/ Nanoflash back up and then back up to Hard drives. I've travelled elsewhere but not Africa. So give me all you've got.
Thanks!

Walter Brokx June 28th, 2010 12:54 PM

A friend of mine was planning to film in Rwanda earlier this way, but he didn't go (budget-related). He told me he was worried about electricity: the current is said to be irregulair, so you will need a device to serve as a buffer to protect your gear from voltage peaks.

Some other advice:
Get your injections for Hepatitus A and B.
Get your medication for malaria.

The climate is said to be warm and moist, so make sure your backups can handle that.

Good luck preparing!

Chris Mendes July 1st, 2010 10:35 AM

Thanks!

Thanks a lot. Every little bit of Info helps. I'd thought of the electricity but totally not considered the moisture.

Brian David Melnyk July 1st, 2010 12:06 PM

they have elections there in August, and that could be a concern... unless you are going here to film this... which could also be a concern! things are a little hot in the region with Burundi's elections, also.
It is really beautiful in Rwanda! enjoy!

Shaun Roemich July 1st, 2010 01:18 PM

The best advice I can offer is: Have a "fixer" on the ground who has a VESTED interest in making sure everything is good for you. We do this everywhere we travel, not just "hot spots". We normally work with NGO's so there is usually an infrastructure IF we need it.

Marc Myers July 1st, 2010 02:30 PM

I've not shot in Rwanda but have shot in neighboring Kenya and Uganda. Working with an NGO is great advice. You really can't get anything done on your own. Don't offer money ever unless its through your handler.
Dust and humidity are both concerns. Take a dry box and plenty of the large zip-lock bags and plenty of desiccant.
I've not had a lot of trouble with the quality of the power. Usually I'm just charging batteries or running something that sits on a DC converter anyway. Power being unavailable, that you may have to worry about. So extra batteries is a must. I do always take an extension cord with a breakout box. Often there's only one plug. So best to plug into one outlet with an adapter and then have a half dozen standard plugs immediately for your chargers, computer and cell phone.
Also everything takes forever but that doesn't mean that it won't get done. It will just take way longer than you think it will, so plan much extra time. Transportation, in particular, can be very sketchy.
Your physician has list of what shots, which medications and which countries. Schedule a visit. Do so fairly early since some shots are given in series and others do not give immediate protection.
Really try to keep your gear in carry-on. This is not completely possible, I know, but all airports are problematic and some African airports are a real experience. If you will be doing a lot of flying on smaller commercial planes, the "standard" carry-on may still be too big for in-cabin. Padded day packs are a decent solution.

Shaun Roemich July 1st, 2010 02:45 PM

Regarding power: we always take a small "cigarette lighter" 12v to 110v adaptor for charging batteries et al while on the road. When we were in India, the rolling blackouts meant that we may not get a full charge over night so while driving, we charged in the car. A SMALL outlet multiplier may work as well, depending on the wattage output of your device, to charge batteries AND phones AND laptops at the same time IF there is enough current available. Of course, these adaptors are available in several output sizes...

Brian David Melnyk July 2nd, 2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Myers (Post 1544327)
Really try to keep your gear in carry-on. This is not completely possible, I know, but all airports are problematic and some African airports are a real experience. If you will be doing a lot of flying on smaller commercial planes, the "standard" carry-on may still be too big for in-cabin. Padded day packs are a decent solution.

Especially Nairobi airport!!!! about 50% of the time my check in has a broken lock and something missing...

Robert Adams September 8th, 2010 04:10 PM

missed this...

Sorry buddy - haven't checked this thread for a while. I've worked a lot in Rwanda since '94, and have good contacts there. If you haven't travelled yet, (and I guess you probably have already been and come back) send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with some guys.

If you've been and done, hope you had a great time - it's a fun place, and beautiful pictures.

R