Anyone Shot In Rwanda? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old June 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #1
New Boot

Anyone Shot In Rwanda?

Has anyone shot in Rwanda? I may be going in a month and would like all the info i can get, Including travel and packing tips, electricity , "donations to local officials", shooting conditions, Local niceties Health and vaccines etc.
I plan to shoot XDcam EX w/ Nanoflash back up and then back up to Hard drives. I've travelled elsewhere but not Africa. So give me all you've got.
Thanks!
Chris Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Major Player

A friend of mine was planning to film in Rwanda earlier this way, but he didn't go (budget-related). He told me he was worried about electricity: the current is said to be irregulair, so you will need a device to serve as a buffer to protect your gear from voltage peaks.

Some other advice:
Get your injections for Hepatitus A and B.
Get your medication for malaria.

The climate is said to be warm and moist, so make sure your backups can handle that.

Good luck preparing!
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks a lot. Every little bit of Info helps. I'd thought of the electricity but totally not considered the moisture.
Chris Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Major Player

they have elections there in August, and that could be a concern... unless you are going here to film this... which could also be a concern! things are a little hot in the region with Burundi's elections, also.
It is really beautiful in Rwanda! enjoy!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
The best advice I can offer is: Have a "fixer" on the ground who has a VESTED interest in making sure everything is good for you. We do this everywhere we travel, not just "hot spots". We normally work with NGO's so there is usually an infrastructure IF we need it.
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've not shot in Rwanda but have shot in neighboring Kenya and Uganda. Working with an NGO is great advice. You really can't get anything done on your own. Don't offer money ever unless its through your handler.
Dust and humidity are both concerns. Take a dry box and plenty of the large zip-lock bags and plenty of desiccant.
I've not had a lot of trouble with the quality of the power. Usually I'm just charging batteries or running something that sits on a DC converter anyway. Power being unavailable, that you may have to worry about. So extra batteries is a must. I do always take an extension cord with a breakout box. Often there's only one plug. So best to plug into one outlet with an adapter and then have a half dozen standard plugs immediately for your chargers, computer and cell phone.
Also everything takes forever but that doesn't mean that it won't get done. It will just take way longer than you think it will, so plan much extra time. Transportation, in particular, can be very sketchy.
Your physician has list of what shots, which medications and which countries. Schedule a visit. Do so fairly early since some shots are given in series and others do not give immediate protection.
Really try to keep your gear in carry-on. This is not completely possible, I know, but all airports are problematic and some African airports are a real experience. If you will be doing a lot of flying on smaller commercial planes, the "standard" carry-on may still be too big for in-cabin. Padded day packs are a decent solution.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Regarding power: we always take a small "cigarette lighter" 12v to 110v adaptor for charging batteries et al while on the road. When we were in India, the rolling blackouts meant that we may not get a full charge over night so while driving, we charged in the car. A SMALL outlet multiplier may work as well, depending on the wattage output of your device, to charge batteries AND phones AND laptops at the same time IF there is enough current available. Of course, these adaptors are available in several output sizes...
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Myers View Post
Really try to keep your gear in carry-on. This is not completely possible, I know, but all airports are problematic and some African airports are a real experience. If you will be doing a lot of flying on smaller commercial planes, the "standard" carry-on may still be too big for in-cabin. Padded day packs are a decent solution.
Especially Nairobi airport!!!! about 50% of the time my check in has a broken lock and something missing...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

missed this...

Sorry buddy - haven't checked this thread for a while. I've worked a lot in Rwanda since '94, and have good contacts there. If you haven't travelled yet, (and I guess you probably have already been and come back) send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with some guys.

If you've been and done, hope you had a great time - it's a fun place, and beautiful pictures.

R
Robert Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home