Building a Studio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old August 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Yes, without clients, there's not point in building a studio except to stroke your own ego (done this myself, kicking myself in the ass everyday since last October)

Best bet is find some local studios in your area and see what their professional rates are and see if you can negotiate a deal. If there's a deal to be made, you can make it.
Sean Scarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM   #17
Regular Crew

If money is an issue, why not lease? Here's what I would do:

Find a cheap-ish studio or 1 bedroom apartment, and make it into your workspace. Here's what i would look for:

-High cielings - 9ft or more.

-Space - At least 350 sq ft of UNINTERUPTED space

-Electric - 15amp circuits will work best, but I reccomend investing in LED light panels. They burn cooler and have VERY low power requirements. if you're using them in a studio space they'll pay for themselves in just what they save your electric bill.

-Sound - Have at least 1 "Quiet" area, where there is good carpet on the floor and a few sound panels on the walls and cielings. Try to get an apartment on the TOP floor, or in the basemnt.

All in all, this is definetly the cheapest/most convenient option for you. The only convenience you give up would be the joy of working out of your backyard. but when you think about it, it makes up for it in a lot of ways

-Potentially more accessible to clients
-More centralized for when you shoot in the field
-Cheap to insure
-Much cheaper than building, and it will give you a chance to grow your business and make money until you can afford to build the studio you WANT.

Depending on where you rent, you can probably get this all going for under $2,000 and in under a week total, and then just worry about making enough every month for the rent. It will also make writing off the sapce easier when it comes time to file your taxes. It will minimize your losses if things arent going well.

But if you really want to GROW your busniess...

-Join the local chamber of commerce, and throw a mixer for local business owners. Buy some cheap wine and a few fruit/meat/veggie trays, and spend the whole evening networking. Have business cards on-hand, and maybe a demo reel playing on the TV.

-Make a sexy website. You're a photographer, we deal in style. Makes sure the website is updated to look modern.

-Cold calls have gotten me through slow months in the past. You're never above doing it.

Last edited by Rick Presas; September 2nd, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home