DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Relocating and keeping editing clients (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/493474-relocating-keeping-editing-clients.html)

Phillip Palacios March 23rd, 2011 08:13 AM

Relocating and keeping editing clients

OK, So I have an opportunity to move to another, warmer, location. Trouble is, I'd like to keep some of my current work going. For shooting it isn't a problem, hop on a plane. But for editing is there a more effective screen sharing/timeline sharing solution than Skype or iChat Theater? I expect that if we (my client that's willing to try this and I) find an effective solution/rhythm of working (it's 6 time zones away) it could be a long term solution, with week long visits occasionally by the client for a working vacation.

Phillip Palacios March 28th, 2011 12:19 PM

Re: Relocating and keeping editing clients

Should I take this as a "no better solution currently?"

Wayne Reimer March 28th, 2011 05:24 PM

the Skype / iChat aproach would work I suppose, but it's really not designed for what you're talking about doing. Collaboration work often needs a lot more interaction and file sharing than would be available through that route.

Have you considered one of the solutions like" go to meeting", Logmein.com or Dropbox? I'd think that with the ability to actually share files easiliy would be the make or break something like that.

Phillip Palacios March 30th, 2011 09:11 AM

I actually already use DropBox it's indispensable to deliver a project quickly and rather painlessly for all involved.

I guess my question revolves around the sense of a client sit in edit. Seeing what I am seeing in real-time with high quality. maybe I'm asking too much.
p

Alex Pineyro March 31st, 2011 03:38 PM

I donīt know if this helps, but I have relocated and still edit and deliver to my clients back home. Sometimes I make minor adjustment editing and even burn the final disc from here. (on his own machine)

We use a program called teamviewer. I can show him previews (dependant on your internet connection speed and overlay capabilities of both video cards) The program also has chat and voip functions. It differs from say, skype, in that I gain full control of his machine. My client has the same editing programs on his computer so He shots, pre-edits then send me the files on a hard disk or if there is not that much material we use megaupload or fileserve (using premium accounts of course) and then I send him the project, load the same files on his machine, make minor tweaks and put it to render.

Maybe there is a better workflow, but this one works for me fine. And put money on the table.

Cheers!