NYC visit. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old April 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Major Player

NYC visit.

Hi All,

Looking forward to a short break in NYC soon. First time since Feb. 2009. As it should be a bit warmer, hope to get some pix and video in the can.
So, after doing the real sights, (B & H and Adorama - interesting for us Brits.), hope to see a bit more of the city than last time. Can any locals here let me know if there are currently any problems for tourists wielding cameras in the city. In London, some visitors (and locals) have been harrassed when they use something obvious like a camera or camcorder but nobody takes any notice of mobile phone cameras.
The only problem I had last time was with a security guard in GC Terminal who couldn't tell the difference between a tripod and a monopod.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: NYC visit.

Look like a tourist and there are no problems at all.

Here's the link to rules regarding film permits in NYC. It is really amazingly liberal.

NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting - Production News
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that Ned.
In theory there are no restrictions in London on public property, but there are plenty of Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs - locally known as plastic policemen) and security guards who take it upon themselves to threaten the most innocent of tourists who probably don't understand the rules. They use such subterfuges as terrorism of paedofile laws. Most real police officers know the rules and make sensible judgements.
Last time in NY, I took my FX1E and used a monopod and generally it was OK. This time I will take a 550D so there's no signs of professional filmaking there. ;¬)

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

I have shot in NYC with professional-looking rigs and never been asked for a permit. You should be fine with your 550/ Enjoy the visit.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home