Air plane travel and equipment - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Air plane travel and equipment

Most of our larger air terminals now have a service where you can securely wrap stuff you want to check in, you go thru customs and security first.

Baggage Wrapping: Brilliant or Stupid? | Upgrade: Travel Better

Just noticed that link is 2yrs old, maybe it's now all over the place.

In Guatemala City once I saw security guards armed to the teeth on the ramp frisking all the handlers right after they loaded the plane. Brand spanking new Airbus 319, the freaked out pilot couldn't wait to get outa there, we climbed out almost vertically.

All parking attendants carry pump shotguns and we couldn't go on the street after sundown. Nice place tho.

Cheers.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:25 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Some airlines have baggage policies which allow professional video gear to avoid the overweight fee.

Has anyone posted a list of those airlines and the polcies?
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #18
Tourist

Sorry, old thread I know, but the Petrol Bags make a carry on that takes the JVC HM700 and also ticks the boxes for the airlines.

I've travelled around long haul a fair bit (off to Nicaragua in a couple of weeks too) and always take enough kit to be able to do the job at hand in this bag, including one battery and charger, mics and radio mics, a couple of filters, a NEXTO DI storage box and lots of lens cloths!

Legs generally go in the hold in a well padded Kata bag along with a stills kit in a well locked pelicase.
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #19
Major Player

Just chiming in here as well... since this is becoming more and more relevant to me.

You can pack a JVC HM700 into a pelican 1510 and carry it on no problem. You need to be creative with it a bit, but my friend who owns one has lens, body, mic, viewfinder, v-mount adapter, and a battery all in one Pelican 1510 for carry on purposes and it is padded enough that I would be comfortable with it.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I bought Pelican 1510s for airline carry on then discovered they're mostly not.

Empty weight is 13.6 lbs (6.17kg) so when you load them up, (one of mine is 20.9lbs - 9.5kg) they're over most airlines carry on weight.
Check with your carrier first, otherwise on a bad hair day the check in gals might 'chuck it' in the hold. List the loaded weight on the side of each case,
so you can check their scales too.

Carry On Bags Size Weight Limit - Airlines Carry On Luggage Allowance

Great cases tho, coloured cases attract unwanted attention, even the black ones do.
Last year we spotted 2 guys circling our black Pelicans at our airshow .. never lose sight of them outdoors.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330231-REG/Pelican_1510_000_110_1510_Carry_On_Case.html

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; February 8th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #21
Major Player

Isn't the point about Pelican cases that via their robustness and hence weight, they are intended as check in luggage? I've just got one of these :Veloce V Backpack Black - Stile | Manfrotto

Not particularly robust but only 1.4Kg, and an exact fit for minimum carry on bag dimensions. Can fit my Canon XLH1 inside though normal use is for XH-G1s complete with monitor, 1.5x extender, nanoFlash and batteries/cables.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Ron, that's true, but some Pelican cases including their model 1510, are advertised as airline carry on luggage.

Quote 'The (1510) case meets current FAA requirements for carry on luggage' Unquote.

Empty it does, but as I posted above, fully loaded it's overweight for 'carry on' .. with a lot of airlines.

Cheers.
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #23
Tourist

Looking on the Petrol website, it seems they don't make the bag I have any more, only a slightly larger version which doesn't quite meet the size requirements (of BA in any case). Sorry about that all.

Just out of interest, do you have to break the camera up (take the lens and viewfinder off) to fit it in the Pelican 1510?
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #24
Major Player

It needs to be 100% broken down. Its not like you can pull it out of the case and shoot. The HM700 is longer than the 1510 with lens mounted and its not possible to fit it in that way.

I have been able to travel domestically with my 1510 a few times now with no issues - when I was told that they might have to put my case in the cargo, I told them they would not be doing that. Haven't faced any resistance after I insisted.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #25
Major Player

I've taken the 1510 as carry on about 15 times and only one airline weighed it. Had to check it that time and the camera arrived fine. I remove the EVF and mic from the XL-H1A to fit it in the case. Weighs 24.5 Lbs as shown here with 2 batteries, charger and a few other lightweight items. I can fit a small laptop and lots of other items in the case if necessary.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Air plane travel and equipment-pelican-1510.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #26
New Boot

My brother (tech guy) told me he was talking with a photographer who said he puts a starter pistol (no rounds/blanks of course) into the case with his camera gear.

Shows up at the airport, declares the starter pistol. TSA inspects and secures the case. Tapes it shut with their security tape and a starter pistol is legal to take to most countries.

Photographer said it was the best and cheapest flight/equipment insurance he ever bought since a starter pistol can be had for $80 USD.

Again, I haven't done this, but I thought it was an interesting concept.

Obviously, as stated by others, it's best if you can keep the gear with you. But if you're stuck checking your equipment, it might be worth looking into.

Has anybody tried something similar?
Eric Knopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
I've taken the 1510 as carry on about 15 times and only one airline weighed it. Had to check it that time and the camera arrived fine. I remove the EVF and mic from the XL-H1A to fit it in the case. Weighs 24.5 Lbs as shown here with 2 batteries, charger and a few other lightweight items. I can fit a small laptop and lots of other items in the case if necessary.

Mark
Mark, great job fitting your items in the 1510, the heavy weight is closest to the case hinges, so when the case is standing up,
the weight is at the bottom. I've seen the opposite where the 1510 can easily fall over.

How did you cut your pick 'n pluck foam?

If anyone is planning to carry-on a fully loaded 1510, as avgas prices are rising all the time, some carry-on weight limits are coming down,
check its weight with your airline first.

Cheers.
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I wonder if a layer of dirty underwear would work, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Knopp View Post
My brother (tech guy) told me he was talking with a photographer who said he puts a starter pistol (no rounds/blanks of course) into the case with his camera gear.

Shows up at the airport, declares the starter pistol. TSA inspects and secures the case. Tapes it shut with their security tape and a starter pistol is legal to take to most countries.

Photographer said it was the best and cheapest flight/equipment insurance he ever bought since a starter pistol can be had for $80 USD.

Again, I haven't done this, but I thought it was an interesting concept.

Obviously, as stated by others, it's best if you can keep the gear with you. But if you're stuck checking your equipment, it might be worth looking into.

Has anybody tried something similar?
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #29
Inner Circle

So far this year I've taken about 40 flights with kit and flown over 100,000 miles. I use a standard hard shell wheeled carry-on case for my camera. I carefully selected the case to get one that is at the maximum size permitted for international carry-on. I have a number of different foam inserts that I use depending on the cameras I'm taking. It's lighter than a Pelicase, but strong enough to go in the hold if there is no other choice. It is discreet, so doesn't attract attention, it has wheels which is a godsend at some airports and it wasn't expensive.

If I get stopped due to the weight of the bag, then I politely explain that due to airline regulations I have to carry my Li-ion batteries in my carry on and that's the bulk of the weight. This normally works for me. Just be polite, show them what's in the bag. Some of the budget airlines can get stroppy, but that's normally resolved by paying them for the excess weight. If I'm carrying kit I either try to stick with the larger scheduled airlines or simply face up to the fact that I may have to pay for the excess.

Some of the most common starter pistols are illegal in the UK, anyone found in possession of one faces a mandatory 5 year jail term, so I wouldn't recommend trying to bring one here!

Last edited by Alister Chapman; October 6th, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Alister Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I think the only trip that a starter pistol will get you is a trip to jail. To the best of my knowledge NO pistols of anykind are allowed thru TSA with the exception of law enforcement and then only if they are traveling on the job and then it is my understanding that it must be unloaded and in a locked gun case in the bag. That is unless you are a federal air marshal of course.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home