DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   MacPro - Touring Roadcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/500346-macpro-touring-roadcase.html)

Ryan Hansen September 5th, 2011 04:57 AM

MacPro - Touring Roadcase

Hey All

I'm wanting to make my edit suite mobile. I've thought about this a lot, but haven't really found anything that matches my concept... I'm waiting for responses for the two companies I know of in NZ that do good with road cases.

My concept is along the lines of a shock mounted 24u roadcase, one that has a subframe inside the case. From the bottom up - 3u for a grunty UPS, 13u for the mac pro - inside another subframe. Divide it in 1/2 or to the measurements and foam it, MacPro on one side and room to slot monitors on the other. That leaves 8u for Preview monitors, Convertors, DA's, draws, other useful things and maybe an I/O panel to avoid reaching into the bowels to add a cable...

I'm keen to hear your thoughts, and if you can think of things I've overlooked. I need it to be pretty rugged, will be touring and having a bit of a rough life, but that's what a case is for! I've searched google and found a few options overseas, most work on a standing tower and rack spaced beside it, my concept fits in with our existing size cases.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Ryan

Allan Black September 5th, 2011 05:27 AM

Re: MacPro - Touring Roadcase

One case with everything would be cumbersome and heavy would it not, maybe two cases so for example, you can carry the Mac on board a/c and get some work done.

Cheers.

Ryan Hansen September 5th, 2011 04:41 PM

Most of my work is with a production company who do the whole shebang, It's not going to be as heavy as some cases we tour... I would take it out and put it in a storm / pelican type case if I was going to travel it locally. Also I have a MBP for the plane (I assume you mean a/c as aircraft not air conditioning?)

Jordan Hooper September 6th, 2011 07:20 PM

If you want a rugged MBP make sure you use SSDs.
My opinion would be to get a good Kata backpack if you want to protect your MBP and a cam with accessories. A soft(ish) case helps more with shock, vibration and bouncing about. A hard case is better if you know there will be a lot of weight on top of it. Hard cases meant for shock need to have a lot of volume for padding that make them wasteful of space when all you need to do is put your soft case on top of the pile.

Ryan Hansen September 6th, 2011 07:37 PM

It's a Mac Pro tower - not a laptop... A laptop in a 24u rack is a touch overkill? :-)

Chris Hurd September 7th, 2011 11:07 AM

Hi Ryan, check out these links:

Activate The Space — Mac Rackmount

BigFoot Mobile Carts - Direct-to-Disk

Shock Rack Systems - at SKB Shipping, Transport & Equipment Cases

Hope this helps,

Ryan Hansen January 19th, 2012 02:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
For those interested or like me looking for something, I designed my own and took it to roadmaster who make cases in NZ. It is pretty much the same size as other racks we use so it fits well with everything else in a truck, the frame is shock mounted and the mac has foam surrounding it. Photo's attached.

24u 19" Shockmount rack
6u Space for expansion, I/O, and whatever else the show requires, front and rear mounting
13u MacPro foamed subframe with the other 1/2 for 2x 24" Monitors
3u for UPS - Slightly over compensated a 3000va which the mac can only use 14% running at full capacity... Found some more stuff to power from it now...

595mm wide
740mm deep
1180mm high

Cost a whack but I'm stocked and believe it's well worth it, It's been on the road 3 times around the country and doing well, now to get some stuff to fill the empty rack spaces!!