Help. Can I get power OUT from my camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old February 11th, 2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Help. Can I get power OUT from my camera?

Hi,

I bought a Saramonic MixMic for my Canon XC10 (but could be any DSLR-cam) to get XLR inputs.
This device runs on a 9V battery and has no external power outputs. Battery lasts less than 2h30m and I would like to find a way to power it continuosly.

1) I need to build a "fake 9V battery" to put inside and drill a hole (or get 3d printed a copy of the original) in the battery slot door. Fake battery will actoually give me a cable in which to put 9V power. Anybody knows of a fake battery allready done?

2) I can get an external Power Bank (one that works with AC input at the same time possibly). This will give power to the fake battery.

3) I might want to make the cable double so to power my camere too with one battery.

But the ideal solution for me would be to get power out from the canon battery into the Saramonic. This to avoid having bulky add-ons on the camera/saramonic hotshoe. So, ideally, if I plan to use the camera all day long on a stand, I just power the camera and let the camera power the XLR adapter, and in any moment, I can take it handeld and the camera battery will go on powering both. Obviously battery will last less but to me this is the most practical solution. I don't think it will create to many problems as model Canon XC15 works exactly this way (with a dedicated new output plug for a dedicated Canon XLR adapter)

So... any suggestions of getting power OUT from the camera or directly from the battery in the camera handle?
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 04:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Help. Can I get power OUT from my camera?

Not sure if this would work but I have a swit S8I50 battery for my ls300 and the battery has a poweroutput which allows me to plugin my videolight meaning the battery simultaniously will power the camera and videolight. Maybe Swit has a similar solution for canon cameras?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes. Thank for the link. I didn't know about them.
They have also Canon batteries. Unfortunately not for mine that uses this one. They have a replacement but with no power out. S-8PE6 DV Battery for Canon LP-E6

In the meanwhile I have started to build the fake battery (I just opened an old rechargable one and I am using it as the case). I still have to figure out about the power FROM the Canon battery but it's a step.

Thanks
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 04:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Does this one not fit? S-8845 DV Battery with DC Output for Canon BP-945/970G
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 04:54 AM   #5
Major Player

No. As I wrote above mine is a different series. They have it but with no DC power output
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home