DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Setting up Editing Studio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/77794-setting-up-editing-studio.html)

Nathan Coffey October 19th, 2006 12:26 PM

Setting up Editing Studio

I have been given the task of finding out how much it would cost my business to move our video editing services in-house instead of using a company in another state.

I'm a n00b at this stuff and would like to know if anybody out there has a comprehensive list of what one might need in setting up an editing studio.

The shooting will be done elsewhere - we just need to edit the images here. so something like software (Final Cut Studio will work), terabyte hard drives, mixers, down to the cables.

I'm sure somebody out there knows all this stuff.
Thanks

Steve House October 19th, 2006 12:48 PM

Some more data would be helpful first.

What sort of productions? How long is the final product expected to be and how much original material to edit for it. What format will you be getting the original in? What is the target release format (broadcast, theatrical, web, DVD, videotape)? Shooting and releasing in HD, SD, both? Will you need to record voiceover or dialog replacement in the edit studio? How about music - recording your own, composing your own from loops, using library music?

There are a lot of variables that go into what you'll need

Glenn Chan October 19th, 2006 08:53 PM

Other than cost, you may also want to consider the talent of the editor. Creatively speaking, is he/she good at getting your message/story across and is good at telling that message/story (i.e. the audience pays attention).

You might make more money from doing something well than doing something cheaply.

Technically speaking, there is a bit of learning curve for the equipment necessary. So you'd need to make an investment in time too, installing your editing system, learning it, and keeping up to date with it (technology changes fast). Cost-wise, it could potentially be even more expensive.

2- On the other hand:
A- There may be talented editors in your area (i.e. local is cheaper; another editor may be more talented), or ???in your company??? (in-house could potentially be cheaper).
B- With high-end editing facilities, there is a certain level of waste associated with that. When they charge several hundred dollars for online editing, it makes sense for them to have a client services person on staff. Their job is to bring you lunches, chat with you, and basically keep you happy.

C- I have no idea what the variables are for you.
--How much does the editor's talent matter to you? This may or may not be your #1 concern.
--What are they charging you?
--What are your technical requirements? What formats do you need to work with? (input and output) etc.
--How much editing work do you need done?

Jon Whiteford October 19th, 2006 10:54 PM

If you are in DC there must be some user groups or...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Coffey
I have been given the task of finding out how much it would cost my business to move our video editing services in-house instead of using a company in another state.

I'm a n00b at this stuff and would like to know if anybody out there has a comprehensive list of what one might need in setting up an editing studio.

The shooting will be done elsewhere - we just need to edit the images here. so something like software (Final Cut Studio will work), terabyte hard drives, mixers, down to the cables.

I'm sure somebody out there knows all this stuff.
Thanks

or tech school that you can take an intro class for a reasonable price.

There is also a web site that rents tech training dvd's and has a lot of video stuff.

With so little detail in your question, my wag is that you can afford the equipment, but the human cost will be at least a factor of 10 higher.