HD110 as carry on luggage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old February 24th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
Let me chime in here.

I travel all over the world with a Sony Z1. This is for my work.

I also own an HD100 with a Petrol bag that is carry on size.

I NEVER check my camera. Luggage does get lost and the places I go to, I don't count on it showing up.

I used to travel with a Sony DSR-570 2/3" camera. I would keep it out of a case and then carry it on the plane. No one ever bothered me at all. One time I flew with a Sony 700a HDCAM in a Portbrace case that was over the carry on limit. I was on a Delta flight to Peru and had no status on the airline. I went up to the counter before boarding and explained that I had a $100,000 camera in the bag that I needed to keep safe and asked to board early and find a safe place to put it. They very kindly let me on board to talk to a stewardess and find a safe place for it.

I will always carry my camera on board. Also try to board early to find a good spot to put it in. I also sit in aisle seats so I can "protect" my camera from people who want to cram their bags in my overhead bin. I am also 6'5" and 250 lbs. so no one questions me when I politely ask them to be careful around my camera. People are nice about it most of the time. I only have problems with people who never travel that often.

Long story short, keep you camera with you at all times!!!

Dan Weber
Could not agree with you more... I believe those who check their cameras, have just been lucky.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I have had luggage broken into, lost, and badly damaged (I travel a lot). It does happen.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Never - Never - Never

I was born in South America, raised here in US, and for my experience if I'm traveling down there NEVER - NEVER- NEVER have my camera alone.
Is always on my lap or betwen my legs.

About 10 years ago I had a Panasonic Supercam., that horse is like regular betacam in size if you remember, I was traveling then at the airpot just to be confortable with my two kids I sent my Supercam with the luggage in the original hardshell case, that was and extra piece of luggage and I had to pay extra. but guess what, the camera made it to South America, but somehow somebody took it, and the empty case was the witness of my loss hehehe, after filling complaints to airline, airport police etc...... my Supercam showed up, bagage handler found my money making machine in the Airport Basement, that's why! never never never........

William Osorio
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #19
New Boot

I'm using porta brace cs-dv4 bag with my hd100, and haven't had any problems getting it into planes. The bag itself is said to be the size that it fits into overhead luggage compartments, and airline staff agrees with it. only thing I would suggest is to detach the viewfinder before (also with the PB models that have dedicated space for the viewfinder), since some planes have smaller storage spaces (once i came last into a plane, all space was gone, and had to force it in, now it has a small fracture in it. If u can, be among the first to get into a plane, and in some planes u can find bigger overhead storage boxes in the rear), and also the mic so it doesn't get bent.
For checking in the camera we've used anvil cases that rock, only negative thing is that they are heavy to carry around.
Juha Werkkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
Could not agree with you more... I believe those who check their cameras, have just been lucky.
You may be right, but what are you going to do when they don't let you on with your camera?
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall
You may be right, but what are you going to do when they don't let you on with your camera?
Liam,

It seems I am not the only one that carries their camera on the plane, why don't you ask the others your questions too. I guess I will have to deal with that when it happens, but in the 20 years that I have been traveling with cameras, I have never had a problem. Been lucky I guess. What are you going to do when you go to collect your camera and it is gone or damaged, and you have a shoot soon after landing, and it's Sunday and the rental houses are closed?

Like you said, earlier, "You might carry your camera on to a 1000 planes and never have a problem and I know, that's the preferred method of most people. Fine. I have been f***ed by several airlines".
"I choose a different route. Also fine".
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
It seems I am not the only one that carries their camera on the plane, why don't you ask the others your questions too.
Carl,

I'm not singling you out for special treatment. I'm sorry if you think that's the case. My points are for everyone, anyone is free to agree or disagree.

Quote:
but in the 20 years that I have been traveling with cameras, I have never had a problem. Been lucky I guess. What are you going to do when you go to collect your camera and it is gone or damaged, and you have a shoot soon after landing, and it's Sunday and the rental houses are closed?
I too have been travelling in this business for over twenty years and it's only been in the last few years that things have been a problem. The UK authorities in particular seem to get a lot of pleasure making peoples' lives a misery with their crazy rules and regs. As I said in my first post "don't get me going about airlines".

My wife thinks I'm an idiot sticking the camera in the hold, but it really has been quite liberating. Whether she would think any better of me if I carried it on is a moot point. And if it is smashed, stolen or lost when I get off the plane next week then I'll phone my insurance company, go grab a beer and laugh about how funny you'd find it if you knew.

All the best,

Liam.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #23
Major Player

I'm going on a trip soon and I'm contemplating this very issue.

Due to the nature and size of the various stuff I have to bring, I'd like to check the camera. I've got a nice Pelican so I'm really not worried about damage to the camera. I have some TSA approved padlocks that will fit on the case.

We have suitcases with TSA locks and I've never had one of those "we've been pawing through your stuff" letters.

Do you think the camera will still be in case when I arrive? On the plus side, there is no change of planes on the way down.
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post

they will if you conduct yourself correctly and ask *THEM* the right questions.

"Hi sir, you need to check that item"

Hi.. I have a camera here worth.... $20K ( or whatever ), um tell me, can I get it insured if I do that?

No

are you going to personally guarantee full replacement value for it if something happens ?

well sir, we do have insurance for regular luggauge, but you'll have to have your own for that.

No your insurance won't cover it, and you know it. so will you personally guarnatee its safety ?

well no sir

so when I get to my destination with a broken or missing camera, you just can't replace it, so are you going to get me a rental and deliver it ? never mind replacement ?

well no we can't do that....

Ok, so what are we doing ? if you can't insure it, and can't guarantee it will be ok, what are we doing ?

ok sir... ok, um, you can take it on.

----------

you have to know what you are doing....

steve oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM   #25
Regular Crew

The JVC can fit into a normal weekend (carry on size) suitcase with the wheels & extending handle. Just head down to your local bag shop with the JVC brochure that has a life size photo of the camera & find a case that fits. Next remove the mic & lens. Then fit foam under, above & around the parts. I can even fit a laptop into my case!
Phil Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:18 AM   #26
Regular Crew

This may seem like a daft added comment to this discussion, but i can't help but wonder if all of the security x-ray equipment might damage the camera at all? Or is that just wrong?

Either way i know it traveled from Japan in the first place, and almost definitely went through x-ray etc machines already, but i'd like the DVInfo clan to put my mind at rest!

I'll be travelling with my HD251 with EasyJet in a month as Hand Luggage, and starting to plan for all eventualities just in case.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #27
Major Player

I travel frequently with my HD100 w/ AB battery and firestore, and I carry the whole rig by hand w/o a case. It sits nicely between my feet under the seat in front. Be careful if you get the first row - they will not let you hold it in your lap. But then again when you are in the first row you are probably in some sort of upgraded seating and they will happily put it in a safe place during takeoff/landing.

Don't worry about the X-ray machines. The CCD damage actually comes from the occasional gamma ray that you are more prone to while flying at high altitudes. Unless you've got a pelican case made of lead, I'm not sure there is anything you can do to avoid it. I don't think this happens very often though.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM   #28
New Boot

Small-Camerabag

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Huczek View Post
I am considering purchasing this camera for travel and documentary work. My usual carrier, Air Canada, has a 22 lb weight restriction, and the following maximum carry-on baggage dimensions for 1 item:

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm
or, 9" x 15.5" x 21.5"

If the lens is removed from the camera, could the lens and body be placed into a bag whose size and weight would meet these size restrictions? I don't want to even consider placing a camera in checked luggage, although at some future time this may become an unfortunate reality for most people.
I took my JVC ProHD111E Camcorder flying in may. I went all the way from Iceland to Pakistan. I was shooting a documentary. I took the camcorder on the airplain as handlugguage and I never got any complaints about the bag and I had a pretty big bag. I recommend that you get your self a small camerabag, that way you should be safe. Check this one out. It is very compact.
http://www.expandore.com/product/add...Bag/PCUBHD.htm

Last edited by Eirikur Ingi Bodvarsson; July 23rd, 2007 at 06:51 PM.
Eirikur Ingi Bodvarsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM   #29
Regular Crew

In 20 years and almost 40 countries I've only once been prevented from carrying a camera on board as cabin luggage. More recently things have tightened up.
My JVC HD101 fits into a Lowe Pro camera bag (along with a book and iPod) which meets carry on size and is well enough made to secure the camera in an overhead locker. You can always remove the camera and put it between your feet when onboard. Ask for a seat not in an emergency exit row because they don't like stuff on the floor, it's a safety hazard. Always carry a battery with the camera so you can turn it on if asked by security (I once had security look in the viewfinder and insist it was a risk because they could not see through it like with a film camera!).
These days I use a Pelican case for other kit checked through and leave space for the camera just incase it gets refused carry on. A tip here; batteries can confuse some x-ray machines so security may want to look inside your case. Pelican case latches are easy to accidently open and very easy for prying hands to quickly open and remove something from inside (a common method of theft from baggage) what I do is put a reusable cable tie through the lock holes, these are easily removed and replaced by security but difficult to remove quickly by a thief.
I've only had problems in one foriegn country, the USA, where I've had a bag disappear and 2 aluminium hard cases smashed. I've been to a lot of countries considered to be risky without a problem.
Be polite and presentable when checking in. You may also consider checking ahead with the airline and or airport (airport authorities control security not individual airlines) for their interpretation of the regulations. Carry proof you are a professional cinematographer and 99 out 100 you will be fine.
Carry all shot tapes as carry on, x-ray machines will not bother them but more powerful equipment in checked baggage security could be risky.
At the end of the day it's only a tool (a little more expensive than a carpenter's hammer though). Talking of tools, put your screwdriver, swiss army knife etc in your checked baggage.
Phil Balsdon
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:12 PM   #30
New Boot

Small-Camerabag

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Huczek View Post
I am considering purchasing this camera for travel and documentary work. My usual carrier, Air Canada, has a 22 lb weight restriction, and the following maximum carry-on baggage dimensions for 1 item:

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm
or, 9" x 15.5" x 21.5"

If the lens is removed from the camera, could the lens and body be placed into a bag whose size and weight would meet these size restrictions? I don't want to even consider placing a camera in checked luggage, although at some future time this may become an unfortunate reality for most people.
I took my JVC ProHD111E Camcorder flying in may. I went all the way from Iceland to Pakistan. I was shooting a documentary. I took the camcorder on the airplain as handlugguage and I never got any complaints about the bag and I had a pretty big bag. I recommend that you get your self a small camerabag, that way you should be safe. Check this one out. It is very compact.
http://www.expandore.com/product/add...Bag/PCUBHD.htm

Last edited by Eirikur Ingi Bodvarsson; July 23rd, 2007 at 06:51 PM.
Eirikur Ingi Bodvarsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home