Need Studio Camera Info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old April 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Need Studio Camera Info

I am looking to outfit a church with good cameras that are not cost prohibitive, and that can be used for multiple purposes, both in the auditorium, and out on activities. Can studio cameras be used away from the studio? I know almost nothing about them, but see plenty for sale at good prices.
Ron Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Link View Post
I am looking to outfit a church with good cameras that are not cost prohibitive, and that can be used for multiple purposes, both in the auditorium, and out on activities. Can studio cameras be used away from the studio? I know almost nothing about them, but see plenty for sale at good prices.

What do you mean by a "studio camera?" And while we're at it, what in your mind is a "good price?" A real broadcast studio camera can easily run to several ten's of thousands or even hundred's of thousands of dollars.
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I work in the media department at a church in Omaha. I think that if you're just starting out then you should start with HDV. I would recommend one Canon XL H1 for your main camera and at least two XH G1s for side cameras. You could also buy an XH A1 just for things that aren't part of the in house stuff. Make sure that you get plenty of computer power to support HDV. I use Final Cut Studio on a MacBook Pro, but if you're going to do all the editing in house then you should probably use a Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio.

Last edited by Nick Royer; April 8th, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
Nick Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Royer View Post
I would recommend one Canon XH A1 for your main camera and at least two XH G1s for side cameras.
Why would you recommend a $4000 product as a main camera and two $7000 products as side cameras? That doesn't really make much sense. It's not sound advice at all.

For Ron -- if you don't need High Definition cameras, you can either save a lot of money, or buy a more capable standard definition system than what you would get for the same money spent on HD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Why would you recommend a $4000 product as a main camera and two $7000 products as side cameras? That doesn't really make much sense. It's not sound advice at all.

For Ron -- if you don't need High Definition cameras, you can either save a lot of money, or buy a more capable standard definition system than what you would get for the same money spent on HD.
I meant to say an XL H1, not an XH A1.
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Major Player

I recommend a set of GL2's if all you need is SD.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Fully agreed, three GL2 camcorders would be an excellent choice for less than $7500 total. They can be utilized in both studio and field configurations easily.

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I would imagine that the church environment wouldn't require any more than a 2 camera shoot. Check into used 2/3 inch studio setups like the Ikegamis or Sony DXCs. I don't believe that 1/3" chips will be up to the task of low light and long zoom. A lot of these cameras can be had for a good price because they are not progressive/24p/hd etc., Good Luck.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It depends on how big the church is. We have like 5 or 6 Beta SPs.
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #10
New Boot

What exactly IS a studio camera??

I guess what I am looking for is info about Studio Cameras. As I understand it, a studio camera does not record to tape, but runs a line directly to a deck, and many that I have seen for sale are much less expensive than even a GL2. The GL2 is a great little camera, and I am also very familiar with the Sony HVR Z1U, which I do most of my shooting with. But I have little need even in my production company for HD yet, much less for church services. So I am looking at the feasibility of a Studio Camera set-up, and wanted to know if it can be configured for field use, as well as static use in an auditorium.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #11
Inner Circle

You say "cameras" in the plural. The cameras that are priced in the same ballpark as consumer camcorders would probably be for security, etc, applic ations and not really suitable for broadcast. If you could say just what you plan to DO with the cameras we might be able to help better. When you say "studio camera" I tend to think of something that might be used in the studio to shoot the evening news broadcast on one of the local TV channels, for example, probably with live switching between multiple cameras. Such a camera is not likely to be cheaper than a GL2 by a long shot.
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #12
Inner Circle

i am sure that you will be happy with 2 VX2100 in full auto mode.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #13
New Boot

Question Refined

OK, let me rephrase the whole question:

The venue I am wanting to outfit with cameras is unimportant.

There are cameras that record to tape, that can be carried to the field, etc. Then there are cameras which do not have any self-contained recording mechanisms, and require a separate recording deck to be connected by cables. What I am wanting to know is something more about these cameras with no recording mechanisms, which I believe are referred to as Studio Cameras. However, I might be wrong. I have been wrong before. No, really. I have!

Can they be outfitted with a recording mechanism, such as a portable hard drive and carried out of the studio environment? Or is there no way to attach a battery pack to a "Studio Camera?"

So far, I have not encountered anybody with any experience with this type of camera, since the vast majority of us use highly portable camera systems with tape recording and battery pack capabilities.

Just trying to find out if the cameras I have seen are worth investing in. Here is an example of what I have been seeing on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-SON...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your input!
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Honestly Ron those antiques are just not worth the trouble. Save yourself the hassle and the headache of making a dinosaur like that into a working configuration, because you won't know when it'll die on you (usually happens at the worst time). Anything like a GL2 or VX2100 is going to give you a better picture, will be much easier to carry around, and most importantly will be covered by factory warranty.

Old April 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #15
New Boot

Thanks, Chris -

Your statement about the relic cameras is probably very accurate.

I am not at all familiar with them, and I totally agree with your assessment of having new cameras and all the pluses that go with that.

I guess I am just a pack rat who has a hard time passing up a good potential bargain, and I do my best to try to save money when I can. My money tree hasn't grown any money in a long time, and I am starting to believe what Grandma said when she told me that money DOESN'T grow on trees. She might just be right after all...
Ron Link is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home