Camcorder Storage Strategies - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old May 6th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #16
Major Player

Chris the pick and pluck type are made out of rectangles are you can simple pluck out to accomodate the camera. I've got a case where the foam is solid and you would have to use an XACTO type knife and cut, not pleasant. If there is a Lowes in Hawaii, you can pick up an Aluminium tool case for $24.95 or order it from www.Lowes.com. It comes with the Die-type pick and pluck (nice term Ken) foam. It even has a hidden compartment for tools and stuff. I don't think it is air tight, but it is definitely a nice, cheap hard case to protect it while it is in the closet.
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Case arrived this week, looks great. I can see why Pelican is so highly recommended. Also see what you guys mean by pick n' pluck foam. Question: how should I position the camcorder in the case? I don't mean in terms of spacing but right when you open the case and it is lying on its side. Should the camcorder be on its side as well? Is it okay for camcorders like the AG-DVX100 to be stored their sides?

Not sure if there's a Lowes here, have to double check. That Lowes case sounds like it would make a very good case for a DAT player though.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

DeLonghi Air-Conditioning Systems

My studio is 12X12 inches. I have a 9000 BTU DeLonghi Model 2600.

This thing vents the hot air out. It dehumidifies the air and cools the 12X12X8 foot space. It runs at about 30% power.

It comes with 4ft of exhaust tubing that can run out a window or door or punch a hole in your wall and run it outside or up to your next apartment and watch their electric bills go up.

These things are not cheap. I paid $750 for mine. I also have a 3600 model or 10,000 btu in another area.

Something else that is cool. Your longie can filter out the air during cycle and you collect the damn dust and trash in the area, making your studio much more enjoyable.

I ordered my longie via the internet. If interested in the product vendor you can email me or search google.com

evc@starband.net
Bob Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Beer Coolers & Drier

Glacier Gear makes coolers for beer or pop. But I prefer beer after a long day in the field.

I lined mine with foam. It has pockets on the outside and a nice inside.

I also installed Silica. Seems to work for me when I'm outside the Arizona area.

Here in Arizona we only are concerned about humidity a few months a year. However, that isn't enough for the videopeople.

Dry is dry can be but let the type of tape be the final conclusion. Some tape runs at a humidity. Check out the tape mfg and try and maintain your camera at that same huimidity, or 10-15% less.

evc@starband.net
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #20
Trustee

9000 BTU DeLonghi Model 2600.

Any remote vented air conditioner is a horrible waste of energy. They use the conditioned air to cool the condenser then exhaust it through the attached flexible duct. This means you need make up air and that usually means air from an unconditioned space.
These units do work but not very well. Without getting into too much detail, it's the same as bailing a boat with a bucket that has holes in the bottom.

One fact worth remembering. If you pack your camera in a pulican case under dry conditions, the case will stay dry cause it's airtight and pressurized to boot.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Huh, more help, boat is flooded

Bryan,

Have you looked at the 9000 BTU DeLonghi Model 2600.

There isn't a difference in putting a "window" unit in or other.....is there? You are still removing and filtering the air to the outside of the room (or building).

The DeLonghi Model 2600 sucks from the back and blows from the front. This is much better than an window unit, as the suck from the side or bottom and blow out the top, etc.

I belive that the idea is to circulate the air and keep it cool at the same time. The airconditioner on your car works the same way. The airconditioner in your home does the same. It moves the air to circulate and cools it thru the drier and condenser. Plus it filters the air with a simple cabon filter.

Is this a case for the X-Files?

evc@starband.net
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #22
Trustee

Bob I'm a field engneer for a very large refigeration manufacturer. I travel internationally as a problem solver. Refrigeration/air cond have been my trade for 40 years. I was politely trying to point out that these roll around portables are not very efficient.
The air that's being conditioned is one thing. The heat from the condenser is removed by conditioned air being drawn through the condenser and exhausted through the flex duct. This air then has to be replaced by unconditioned air. The space will be cooled but the operation is not very efficient.

A window unit has two air paths as well but the condenser is cooled using outside air. The cooling path is totally separate.

The fact that companies market something so inefficient irritates me. If there is no other option then that's not a bad deal. Window units or central air can't be used in all instances.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home