DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Servo City Remote Head (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/110021-servo-city-remote-head.html)

Jon Omiatek April 23rd, 2008 12:38 PM

I opened the boxes yesterday and I think I will just mount as is. No need for a metal box, unless you want it to have a certain look. I am no electronics guy but it doesn't seem like it wouldn't be difficult to add an attenna.

Please do let me know if you get it to work.

Tim van Weldam April 23rd, 2008 06:17 PM

Jon,

Thanks for the advice and the time you took to explain what a POT was! The photo was really helpful! I don't have time to work on it now, but I do have some time this weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes!

What kind of films do you make?? Do you have some work posted somewhere on the net?

Take care!

Grtz, Tim

Cam Crawford April 23rd, 2008 06:33 PM

Hi Jon

would wevi work for live gigs or is the delay too noticable i believe it's 15 frames.

cheers

cam

Jon Omiatek April 23rd, 2008 09:24 PM

I am new to the wevi, so I don't have any real life examples yet. I am still waiting on my NEW gearing from Servocity. I am going to call them tomorrow to find out if it's even shipped yet. I have a shoot on Saturday that I would really like to use it on.

I plan on attaching it to my crane for weddings, as a remote camera and for a few sporting events. I will post footage as soon as the NEW gearing is installed. The gear it ships with is almost completely worthless for video. IT'S WAY TOO TOUCHY. Move the stick very slightly and it moves way too much.

Andrew Fraser April 23rd, 2008 11:19 PM

They (IDX) are about to release a HD transmitter. Around $6000US and transmits uncompressed SD/HD-SDI signal with 1 frame delay!

See IDX site for NAB press release, I'm amazed that no-one has heard about it already. Havnt seen it on any forum I visit

Jon Omiatek April 24th, 2008 06:09 AM

Thats awesome but WAY out of my budget for wireless. I only have one camera over $6000.

http://www.idxtek.com/press_room/news/?id=5

Jeff Anselmo April 25th, 2008 09:44 AM

Hi Jon,

I'm also curious about Servo City's pan/tilt systems. Any video you can post utilizing the crane & system combo?

Thanks,

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com

Jon Omiatek April 25th, 2008 09:51 AM

I am still waiting on gearing for the pan/tilt. The stock gear is worthless for use with a crane or just about any video application. I will post video as soon as I get the gearing.

I am currently using the head for weddings for an unmanned camera.

Jon

Jon Omiatek May 9th, 2008 07:34 AM

Update

I just received the new gearing from Servocity today and it seems to be a siginificant improvement over the stock gearing. I am shooting a wedding on Saturday and I will post footage from the head as soon as I get time.

Thanks

Vegard Paulsen May 21st, 2008 03:48 AM

Jon: How much did the total head cost when you got the new gearing and such.

Why does servocity have a youtube video of the videohead with the last roll axis when they don't sell them. It seems like they never update their webpage.

Daan Bras May 21st, 2008 07:26 AM

I've emailed them a few days ago about the new gearing. Still no reply..

Jon Omiatek May 21st, 2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegard Paulsen (Post 880918)
Jon: How much did the total head cost when you got the new gearing and such.

Why does servocity have a youtube video of the videohead with the last roll axis when they don't sell them. It seems like they never update their webpage.

The new gearing could be ordered when you order the head, so I don't think there would be any additional cost. Ask for 13.5 to 1 when you order. I just received my second gear from them and plan to test it on Saturday at a wedding.

You will need to make an adapter plate for your tripod, which will cost you about $20 to make yourself, the 985 kit(don't know the current price), I believe it's 799.

I don't think they are video people or they would have an updated video.

Jon

Igor Babic May 30th, 2008 01:21 PM

Any news on how those new gears work? How smooth they are etc...

Tim van Weldam July 7th, 2008 09:15 PM

Upside down

Hi Jon!

I haven't posted anything for a while now, because I was very busy the last couple of months. I didn't have the time yet to separate the POT from the arm like you advised me to do last time. But I will come around to that in the next week or so.

My question was how can I use the servocity head upside down? They state on their website that it's possible, but nowhere is told how! Does this also have to do with the seperation of the POT? Or is there another thing I have to do/adjust to make it work properly in upside down-position??

I hope you can help me again!:)

Take care!

Tim van Weldam

Jon Omiatek July 8th, 2008 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim van Weldam (Post 904338)
My question was how can I use the servocity head upside down? They state on their website that it's possible, but nowhere is told how! Does this also have to do with the seperation of the POT? Or is there another thing I have to do/adjust to make it work properly in upside down-position??

I mount mine on my crane upside down. Really, it just the opposite of the upright. You just hang it from the mounting point instead of the way it's mounted on a tripod. Now if you don't have a place to mount the arm upside down you will need to create an arm of some kind that would hold the head up and out from your tripod.

I haven't used my servocity head much since I got my second Camera Turret. The difference in the two heads is night and day. I like the wireless with the servocity better but I haven't had a use for it lately.

I had a wedding on Saturday and asked the Groom, "How tall are the ceilings?"... Oh they are like 15 to 20ft tall. So I lug in 1/2 of my crane setup and the ceilings are maybe 9ft tall, ouch. No Crane that night.

Thanks,

Dave Harris October 29th, 2008 08:21 AM

Jon,

You mentioned that you had also ordered the 4-servo recorder from Servo City. How did that work out? I'm considering the same rig right now...Kind of a poor man's motion-control....

Tim van Weldam December 30th, 2008 11:30 AM

1 last question

Hi Jon!

It's been a while since I posted a message, because I didn't have the time to test my remote head yet with all the tips that you gave me. Yesterday I finally took the time to remove the POT and mount everything to my crane. It went very well and it works good, but my tilt just keeps on spinning without me touching the remote..

Is this a common problem? If yes, how can I solve it? Panning works like a charm, but I can't use the tilt at the moment because of this problem. Do I have to calibrate it? If calibration is the issue, can you tell me what I must do to get everything working properly?

I know you switched to the turrets, but I know you had your remote head completely operational, so maybe you could help me for the last time??

Please let me know, I'm so close to actually having my whole kit operational!:)

All the best wishes for 2009!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Grtz, Tim

Jon Omiatek December 31st, 2008 09:02 AM

I removed feedback sensor on the tilt motor as described in my earlier post. What camera are you using, it might be too heavy for the motor. I suggest that you balance the camera on the mounting plate so it's positioned in the center. If it's too far forward or too far back you will have problems. My servocity head has been upgraded to different gearing than factory gearing. I will have to check to see what ratio I am using, it's the slowest ratio they sell.

I do not use my servocity head for crane use, it's simply not designed for precise movements. I suggest selling the head and buying a used Camera Turret.... They normally go for $1000 used. You will much happier with the results. The servo city guys need to go back into development, the current model has many bugs when it comes to precise movements.

Back to your question.... The pot needs to be connected to the motor and then turn the pot screw until the motor doesn't turn. When adjusted correctly, the motor will not move unless you give it a reason to move. If you damaged the pot, purchase a new one. I damaged one and had to replace it.

Tim van Weldam January 2nd, 2009 09:27 PM

Update

Hi Jon!

First of all; Happy New Year to you and everyone on this forum!
Thanks again for all the great tips! I finally got the remote head fully functional and mounted on my crane!

I tested a bit and I think it's indeed a little too harsh in its movements etc., but I think I can master the right way to control it so that it will run quite smoothly.. I'm not going to sell it just yet, I'm going to give it a chance to prove its worth first.. I'll try to post some photo's next time!

Oh yeah, to get back on your question about the camera I use; Currently I use a Sony HDR-FX1.. As extra camera's I own a Canon XM1 and a Sony HVR-HD1000.. Just last week I ordered the Sony HVR-Z5 to gradually relieve the FX1 of its fulltime duty..

Again,thanks a million for all your help! If it wasn't for you I wouldn't even know where to start!

I'll post a picture of my (now fully operational) set somewhere this weekend! And when I'm going to use it in the field, I'll be sure to post a video!:)

Grtz, Tim

Dave Harris February 9th, 2009 12:53 PM

There may be hope for the ServoCity head yet.

I've been in contact with the techs down there (at servo city), and it seems they have indeed gone back into development on their flagship head...

As of January 21st:

"As you may already know, the 985 system is going through major design changes and will be much better than the previous system. It will be run by digital electronic speed controllers and precision gear motors rather than servos. It will have extremely good low speed characteristics and accuracy as well as be nearly silent. These units should be in stock within 3-4 weeks tops. The system will operate with the use of the existing controllers that we have but we will also be releasing a new dual joystick in order to operate other features (roll, zoom etc.). Price will be higher but should be quite comparable to the past units."

We'll have to wait and see, I guess....

Giroud Francois February 9th, 2009 05:19 PM

that is what i always believe for remote controlled head. You cannot get good result with plain servo. That are not using ramp for accelerations and breaks.
You can do this but most of servo drivers are simply no built for this.
with DC motors, it is a bit more complex in the design, but since you can use some small processor to generated any speed ramp (linear, log, custom) and even get some feedback, that further fine tuning is as simple as adding some instructions into a small program.
I se the OOPIC board that can accept a joystick as input and drive 2 motors with the addon board from Magnevation.
You can find sample programs to control 2 DC motors from a joystick and just need to adapt it for your own use.

Eric Stemen February 13th, 2009 10:34 PM

Please keep us informed on developments with this remote head. The glidshot jib I bought adds a lot to how video looks but it is still missing for lack of better words..."a human feel" to the video.

Dave Harris February 17th, 2009 10:19 AM

Looks like the units are in, and the pricing seems to be about the same. I'll most probably be picking one of these up in the next month or two...I'll keep y'all posted.

Pan & Tilt Packages

Thomas Wagner August 6th, 2009 04:18 AM

How to program movements?

Hello dear friends,
do you have an idea to program movements for this nice device. Is there a possiblity to connect something like an laptop or mixer to it to record and playback movements?
Please excuse my funny English, I am German.

Greetings from Hannover

Thomas